Flat towing a YJ - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 08-07-2010, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
larry408

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Flat towing a YJ

I have searched to see what is the best way to tow my 1991 YJ but could not find anything. It has a I6 with a ax-15 trans. The transfer case and axles are stock. I need to know what I need to do to tow it to some off road parks?

USAF 1968-1972
NRA Life
2004 WJ
1998 ZJ
1991 YJ
1973 Dodge Dart Sport
1980 Honda CB900c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

For flat towing, the T-case must be in neutral, but the transmission must be in Park (automatic) or in gear (manual) during towing.

The T-case oil pump is driven from the output shaft of the T-case, so flat towing will turn the driveshafts and the oil pump providing T-case lubrication. So that's all good news.

However, not so for the tranny. Even with the T-case in neutral, the viscous nature of the lube in the T-case will spin the T-case input shaft, which will in turn spin the output shaft of the tranny if it is left in neutral. This is where the trouble starts. The transmission will not lubricate the bearings if the tranny input shaft is not turning, so the bearings will starve for lube. Placing the transmission in gear (any gear) will prevent all of this from happening.

Hope this helps give you a better understanding.

I dug out my '91 Owner's Manual and quoted the following verbatim.

Page 125 of the 1991 Jeep Wrangler Owner's Manual states;

1. Shift transfer case to 2H and check that the 4WD light goes out.

2. Drive vehicle 10 ft. (3 m) rearward and then 10 ft. (3 m) forward to make sure the axle is disengaged.

3. Shift transmission to Neutral.

4. Turn off engine with the ignition key in the unlocked OFF position.
(NOT in the "LOCK" position, the steering wheel must be able to turn while flat towing!)

5. Shift transfer case lever from 2H to N (Neutral) position.

6. Shift manual transmission into gear or automatic transmission into P (Park).

WARNING: With the transfer case in N (Neutral) position, the vehicle could roll unexpectedly. The parking brake should always be applied before the tow bar is attached.

7. Attach vehicle to the tow vehicle with tow bar.

Max

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
post #3 of 22 Old 08-07-2010, 01:55 PM
gregj
1980 CJ7 

To supplement what Mean Max said, I would put a manual transmission in 5th gear, that way *if* the transfer case accidentally shifts into gear you will not over-speed the engine going down the highway and cause parts to fly out of the block!
gregj

80 CJ7 304 V8 auto, working on DIY FI. It runs but needs tuning!

post #4 of 22 Old 08-08-2010, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
larry408

1991 YJ Wrangler 

That was going to be my next question.

USAF 1968-1972
NRA Life
2004 WJ
1998 ZJ
1991 YJ
1973 Dodge Dart Sport
1980 Honda CB900c
post #5 of 22 Old 08-08-2010, 11:22 AM
sitedzn

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregj View Post
To supplement what Mean Max said, I would put a manual transmission in 5th gear, that way *if* the transfer case accidentally shifts into gear you will not over-speed the engine going down the highway and cause parts to fly out of the block!
gregj
This is exactly what I did. Read somewhere where a guy put his in 1st or 2nd and saw smoke rolling out when he checked his mirror.

BTW, just got back from a week at OBX where I flat towed my YJ 6 hrs there and 5 hrs back with no probs at all.

Us at the rest stop near Manteo.
post #6 of 22 Old 08-08-2010, 11:34 AM
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitedzn View Post
This is exactly what I did. Read somewhere where a guy put his in 1st or 2nd and saw smoke rolling out when he checked his mirror.

Here is the link on that one: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...my-yj-1075397/ This guy was pretty lucky concerning the damage, and he was nice enough to post it so that others could learn.

Read it.
post #7 of 22 Old 08-08-2010, 03:07 PM
BIGHEEP

1988 YJ Wrangler 

For me it also depends on the distance I am going and at what speeds. I have flat towed my YJ many times and if I an going to be towing at highway speeds I always unhook the rear driveshaft just for extra piece of mind.

1981 Scrambler, Vortec 350,4L60e,D300, Currie 9" F&R
19xx YJ/CJ/TJ/XJ/Waggy thing 4.0L H.O., AW4,
NP231 w/HD SYE,D44 locked/D44 w/LSD,4.09 gears
Build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

North East Willy Jeep Organization

post #8 of 22 Old 08-08-2010, 03:16 PM
RikRotorhead

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The OP stated that his t-case and axles are stock.
BUT, if anyone reading this has a lunchbox type locker (Aussie, LockRite, etc...) in the front axle you need to either remove the front drive shaft or install a True Neutral Plate. The locker engages from the torque of the front drive shaft, and in the YJ, "neutral' is not neutral. The front and rear drive shafts are still connected inside the t-case and the rear drive shaft will cause the front drive shaft to torque the locker and engage it. The True Neutral Plate isolates the drive shafts in the t-case.
Stock axles have no issues at all.

Betcha' wish your girlfriend was as dirty as my Jeep!
Zombies hate fast food.
Hang on! This is gunna' be a thrill ride of geriatric proportion!
RJC#512
post #9 of 22 Old 08-08-2010, 05:38 PM
rdubya
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hi guys,
I'm the test monkey that towed his YJ in gear. Let me start with I have been towing it since new in 95 with no problems. Three weeks ago I left early in the morning with my head up you know where. I now have a new motor and assorted other stuff. Two things that you need to make sure of, t case in neutral and tranny in gear (start the jeep put the t case in neutral and the tranny in gear 3-4 or 5) let out the clutch and if it moves start over again until the jeep doesn't move. Other thing is make sure the steering wheel is not locked. The smoke I saw was my harmonic stablizer burning to a crisp. It snapped the timeing chain and screwed up the crank. Make sure it is in neutral and it will tow like a dream. Have fun.
post #10 of 22 Old 03-19-2019, 10:12 PM
jborsushko

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
The OP stated that his t-case and axles are stock.
BUT, if anyone reading this has a lunchbox type locker (Aussie, LockRite, etc...) in the front axle you need to either remove the front drive shaft or install a True Neutral Plate. The locker engages from the torque of the front drive shaft, and in the YJ, "neutral' is not neutral. The front and rear drive shafts are still connected inside the t-case and the rear drive shaft will cause the front drive shaft to torque the locker and engage it. The True Neutral Plate isolates the drive shafts in the t-case.
Stock axles have no issues at all.
zombie time...

is this ONLY lunchbox lockers? not full lockers like a Yukon or detroit? I have a front Yukon and a rear OX

1993 yj 4.0 ax15, 33", ford 9", 4" ish lift. not a lot of fancy yet.. soon
post #11 of 22 Old 03-20-2019, 04:18 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ah, a necromancer is among us!

Yes, only for auto lockers. A manually engaged locker, if left unlocked, acts exactly like an open differential.

....Except for that one that also has an LS in it, but that shouldn't be an issue.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #12 of 22 Old 03-20-2019, 04:53 PM
jborsushko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Ah, a necromancer is among us!
yeah... get yelled at cus "you didnt search" or get yelled at because "holy old thread"
jbolty and Awesome like this.

1993 yj 4.0 ax15, 33", ford 9", 4" ish lift. not a lot of fancy yet.. soon
post #13 of 22 Old 03-20-2019, 06:47 PM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
……………………...
Attached Thumbnails
giphy-giphy-15.jpg  

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #14 of 22 Old 03-21-2019, 08:00 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jborsushko View Post
yeah... get yelled at cus "you didnt search" or get yelled at because "holy old thread"
I hear ya, I think that reply was probably because this was just covered again in the last couple of days. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...ng-yj-4346599/

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #15 of 22 Old 03-21-2019, 04:18 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jborsushko View Post
It wasn't intended to be a negative comment. I thought you might find it amusing to see someone call you a necromancer.

Good on you for using the search feature.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in