• 2 Post By bruinjeeper
  • 4 Post By TSEJEEPERS

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-19-2016, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
andresatencio
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
First wheelin trip!

Goin on my first wheeling trip out of town. Approx 300 highway miles to destination to the High Sierras.
I have a couple of issues im afraid of. Mind you this trip will be on the eastern side of the Sierra Nevadas, where the towns are 50 miles apart and have a population of 1000 or less, besides Bishop, they have 3000.

I have some blowback, has spitted on my air filter pretty good. I have replaced the PCV T Valve but hasnt seemed to help. I am running stock axles and gears and no lift on 31" Toyo MT's. 2.5L engine.

Will the blowback be an issue?

Chances of snapping an axle? What do I do if that happens!?

Starter winds every once in a while and takes a try or two to get it started. Do i need to get a new starter before I go?

Jeep has about 175K, engine is somewhat rebuilt , has 89K. (Swapped in a used engine after waterlocking the original.)

Thanks for any advice. Dont have much money to work with, just looking to do some cheap fixes and fiddling before I venture out.

Luuca and Scarface6174 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-19-2016, 09:25 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

run what you brung. If it breaks, get help to get her off the mountain and get her home. Rinse and repeat. Welcome to the wonderful world of YJs (Jeeps really)

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #3 of 10 Old 07-19-2016, 10:05 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

pack plenty of PB and J and don't forget to have some fun.
shaggyjim and Scarface6174 like this.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-19-2016, 10:40 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Where are you going? I'm assuming stock axles on 31's you're not going too deep, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-20-2016, 12:17 AM
paulhead
if it works fix it

1994 YJ Wrangler 

jumper cables, jack

Trying to weld has honed my grinding skills

post #6 of 10 Old 07-20-2016, 06:19 AM
TSEJEEPERS

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Do not go alone.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-20-2016, 07:44 AM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think you'll have a problem, if all you're doing is going on dirt roads. Just don't go crazy, especially if you're out there alone. If the starter goes out, you can always push start it.

If you get up near Mammoth, you should check out Wild Willy's Hot Springs. It's occasionally clothing optional.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #8 of 10 Old 07-20-2016, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
andresatencio
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Goin with a buddy, takin me to a place called Green Creek, out towards Lee Vining and Bridgeport off the 395.
So yeah it's past mammoth, almost to NV. I'll definitely stop in Mammoth thanks haha.

Yes, stock everything. Lol.

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Droid using JeepForum
post #9 of 10 Old 07-20-2016, 11:55 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Make sure stuff is fixed before you go. Anyone one can break an axle and should have a spare along but if I'm sitting on the trail for hours waiting on someone with a failing part and I find out it was known bad before the trip I might just leave them there.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #10 of 10 Old 07-20-2016, 02:32 PM
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Blow by issues are usually rings or valve guides. This sounds like over pressure in the crank case. Witch can be rings. So do what you will on that one. The starter is easy and not expensive to fix. Do it. As for spare parts carry what you can as well as with tools. Luck favors the prepared.
Oh and have fun!

Keep your boogger hook off the bang button!
When all else fails... ham radio is there!
KG6YSF

Tags
d35 , dana , trip , wheeling , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in