First post first Jeep - JeepForum.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 05-23-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Beeaav

First post first Jeep

Well I just got a pile of Jeep yj and will be doing everything to it to make it a reliable daily driver/ desert toy. I am trying to determine where to mount my Hi-Lift jack and noticed something peculiar on the back fender (see picture attached) any idea what this mount was used for? Either an antenna or a hi lift is my assumption but I’m not sure how one would mount to it. Thanks in advance everyone! Stoked to be reading the forums and picking everyone’s brain.

Attached Thumbnails
31112FD4-DCE4-4FCC-BF22-6FC03A436AA4_1558655516463.jpg   5FA34FB8-484B-469E-BB60-061B69B40B12_1558655530249.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-24-2019, 07:41 AM
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I believe that keeps your spare from destroying the tail-light
bharris68 and zrickety like this.

Not the sharpest bulb in the box....

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
post #3 of 16 Old 05-24-2019, 08:02 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

That's the bump stop for the stock spare tire to keep it from smashing out the tail light.

On to your actual issue of mounting the hi-lift.... Where do you plan to lift the jeep from? That rear bumper is not suitable (it may work but, not ideal) and I see no points other than the body to lift from. I'd worry more about how and where to lift the jeep than where to mount it. I too went out and bought a hi-lift early on, it's been in the shed for pushing 9 years, I carry a small bottle jack instead. It's easier to stow and use.

Additionally please fill out your profile as it will help others help you as you move along with your build... https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...guide-4348507/
222Doc likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

post #4 of 16 Old 05-24-2019, 10:58 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
That's the bump stop for the stock spare tire to keep it from smashing out the tail light.

On to your actual issue of mounting the hi-lift.... Where do you plan to lift the jeep from? That rear bumper is not suitable (it may work but, not ideal) and I see no points other than the body to lift from. I'd worry more about how and where to lift the jeep than where to mount it. I too went out and bought a hi-lift early on, it's been in the shed for pushing 9 years, I carry a small bottle jack instead. It's easier to stow and use.

Additionally please fill out your profile as it will help others help you as you move along with your build... https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...guide-4348507/
What he said. There seems to be some rule that when you get a jeep you need to get a hi lift and a winch before anything else. I have literally 5 hi lift jacks at my house people have given me over the years because they never use them and I hardly ever carry one in the jeep.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-24-2019, 11:26 AM
Chrisnvegas
Windows95

1992 YJ Wrangler 

In the tens of thousands of miles of Jeeping in the desert, I have never needed a high lift jack. A winch in the desert is mostly extra weight. There is nothing solid enough to hook to.

My first accessories were a good tire inflator and tire repair kit. A decent shovel is helpful. Proper desert tires will keep you from getting stuck in the first place.
Tires should fit the wheels properly to keep vulnerable sidewalls from tears. Choose quality tires with stout sidewalls. If you have a 4.2, carry an extra fuel pump and tools to replace it. New fuel pumps are made in China and are not reliable enough to bet your life on.

Standard rules apply. Don't wheel alone. Bring water. Have a good tow strap. Tell family or friends were you are going and when you will be back. Be prepared for as much as you can. The desert favors the prepared and is unforgiving the unprepared.

Make sure the Jeep is in good condition before venturing out too far. Do a walk around before leaving. Check belts, hoses, look for leaks, lubricate things that need it. That kind of thing. Always leave with a full fuel tank.

GPS with "breadcrumbs" is really helpful. As is a HAM or CB radio.

What's your general location?
Fill out your profile so we know more about your Jeep.

Here's me violating most every Jeep safety rule.
I was alone
No cell service
Had been drinking (forgot to put Jeep into 4 wheel drive)
Did not air tires down
2:00 am
No water, only beer and pretzels
Fortunately I told my kid where I was going. He showed up with his K-5
Attached Images

Tophog1 and zrickety like this.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
post #6 of 16 Old 05-24-2019, 03:13 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ignore what they are saying. That's the optional rear quarter panel high-power HAM antenna high-gain mount. It was only a Jeep dealer option for four months. I've never actually seen one before.

Okay, so I'm kidding.

I don't have pictures, but I have used my high-lift several times to get me out of bad spots. One time I slid into a mud hole that I was purposely trying to go around and got stuck. The only trees were behind me. I had to use the high-lift and winch myself backwards 1 inch at a time until I was perpendicular to a tree that was about 50 yards away. I then used the electric winch to pull myself out of the hole sideways. It bent my winch plate pretty good, but it pulled me out.

Another time, my front shackles inverted. A bottle jack would have been useless. I jacked up the front of the Jeep until it was off the ground, and the springs reset.

I've used it a few more times, too. I'll agree that its uses are limited, but when you do need it, it's good to have it around.

EDIT: Chris, as a desert wheeler, you should know how to use a winch in the desert. You have a spare tire and a shovel already; get a winch.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #7 of 16 Old 05-25-2019, 09:03 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

It's an antenna mount (once you have a tire carrier off the tailgate)

ant-mount.jpg

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #8 of 16 Old 05-26-2019, 12:09 AM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
It's an antenna mount (once you have a tire carrier off the tailgate)

Attachment 3830309
I had mine mounted there for a little bit, but it kept smacking the soft top when I was on the highway. I guess with the fastback top I could put it back there.

post #9 of 16 Old 05-26-2019, 09:09 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
I had mine mounted there for a little bit, but it kept smacking the soft top when I was on the highway. I guess with the fastback top I could put it back there.
Off Topic, but which top are you using?

Quote:
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-27-2019, 01:15 AM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The Rampage fastback top.

There's another one made in the US, but it requires the use of full doors or modified TJ uppers. The Rampage top does not.

post #11 of 16 Old 05-27-2019, 09:33 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

There's another one made in the US, but it requires the use of full doors or modified TJ uppers. The Rampage top does not.
Sending you a PM as to not muddy up the thread.

Quote:
post #12 of 16 Old 05-27-2019, 10:35 AM
StrippedTorx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
In the tens of thousands of miles of Jeeping in the desert, I have never needed a high lift jack. A winch in the desert is mostly extra weight. There is nothing solid enough to hook to.

My first accessories were a good tire inflator and tire repair kit. A decent shovel is helpful. Proper desert tires will keep you from getting stuck in the first place.
Tires should fit the wheels properly to keep vulnerable sidewalls from tears. Choose quality tires with stout sidewalls. If you have a 4.2, carry an extra fuel pump and tools to replace it. New fuel pumps are made in China and are not reliable enough to bet your life on.

Standard rules apply. Don't wheel alone. Bring water. Have a good tow strap. Tell family or friends were you are going and when you will be back. Be prepared for as much as you can. The desert favors the prepared and is unforgiving the unprepared.

Make sure the Jeep is in good condition before venturing out too far. Do a walk around before leaving. Check belts, hoses, look for leaks, lubricate things that need it. That kind of thing. Always leave with a full fuel tank.

GPS with "breadcrumbs" is really helpful. As is a HAM or CB radio.

What's your general location?
Fill out your profile so we know more about your Jeep.

Here's me violating most every Jeep safety rule.
I was alone
No cell service
Had been drinking (forgot to put Jeep into 4 wheel drive)
Did not air tires down
2:00 am
No water, only beer and pretzels
Fortunately I told my kid where I was going. He showed up with his K-5
Thank God for kids. You burried that thing
Awesome likes this.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-27-2019, 10:38 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:

Really have grown fond of my rampage top. It's taken 3 winters beatings too
timatoe and Awesome like this.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
post #14 of 16 Old 05-27-2019, 06:44 PM
30yroldyj

First post Clutch/transmission issue

I have a 1988 YJ 4.2L M/T (BA-10)
Here is my problem when I first start driving the clutch and transmission work fine. Once it heats up I cannot get it into gear And it is hard to shift when I do I shut it off transmission goes into any gear no problem. Pedal feels good plenty of fluid no leaks That I can see
Any ideas?
post #15 of 16 Old 05-27-2019, 10:01 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30yroldyj View Post
I have a 1988 YJ 4.2L M/T (BA-10)
Here is my problem when I first start driving the clutch and transmission work fine. Once it heats up I cannot get it into gear And it is hard to shift when I do I shut it off transmission goes into any gear no problem. Pedal feels good plenty of fluid no leaks That I can see
Any ideas?
You should start a whole new thread, you'll get better responses that way.

For your issue, I'd look at the rubber hose that runs between the clutch master and the bellhousing where it goes to the slave cylinder. It's likely the stock hose and 30 years old, they wear and begin to crack. Once that happens they expand when warm and you lose fluid/pressure to the slave because of hose expansion.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in