Failed smog test twice due to NOx - JeepForum.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 05-21-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Hulkjeepyj

Failed smog test twice due to NOx

So for several years I've had a crack on my exhaust manifold that has gotten bigger over the years. Last month I failed the 25/25 NOx test by 300 ppm. Over the weekend I replaced the exhaust manifold and the jeep runs a lot better now! However it failed the second smog test for the same reason, this time the NOx is beyond the max allowed by 200 ppm. It decreased a little bit but still failing. I'm thinking it's my cat converter...I replaced it 8 years ago but I'm assuming that crack in the manifold may have busted it? Any thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails
20190521_132508_1558459525818.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 05-21-2019, 05:01 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulkjeepyj View Post
So for several years I've had a crack on my exhaust manifold that has gotten bigger over the years. Last month I failed the 25/25 NOx test by 300 ppm. Over the weekend I replaced the exhaust manifold and the jeep runs a lot better now! However it failed the second smog test for the same reason, this time the NOx is beyond the max allowed by 200 ppm. It decreased a little bit but still failing. I'm thinking it's my cat converter...I replaced it 8 years ago but I'm assuming that crack in the manifold may have busted it? Any thoughts?
Just went through this with my sons XJ. Replaced the exhaust manifold and it got better but did not pass. Had to replace the CAT and once I did, the SMOG tech I go to for all my stuff said it's too clean now. He suspects they will ask him about it because it went from very bad to new Honda numbers in less than 4 hours.

Replace the CAT and all should be fine. What happens is when the exhaust manifold has a leak, the O2 sensor runs the engine rich. All that extra fuel stresses the CAT and eventually wears it out.
bharris68 and timatoe like this.

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #3 of 42 Old 05-21-2019, 05:31 PM
jeepster93

1993 YJ Wrangler 

High NOX is usually a bad cat.

post #4 of 42 Old 05-21-2019, 06:36 PM
zrickety

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Just curious if you've tried new filters (air, fuel) and spark plugs. Checked timing. A tune up goes a long way.

1988 Jeep Wrangler Laredo
post #5 of 42 Old 05-21-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Hulkjeepyj

I did a full tune up myself last year (spark plugs, cap and rotor, fuel filter, valve gasket, etc.
I went to a mechanic today and he gave me some free advice to replace the O2 sensor and run a tank of high octane gas mixed with fuel system cleaner so I'm trying that out right now. I mentioned the cat converter to him but he seemed confident it wasn't it. I might try testing the cat converter at home using an infrared temp sensor just to be safe.
post #6 of 42 Old 05-21-2019, 08:06 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had a badly cracked header (we all have, I'm sure) for years, and it always passed smog with super low numbers. Lower than many new cars. Fixing the crack didn't change the numbers much, if at all. It's probably your cat or a sensor.
bharris68 likes this.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #7 of 42 Old 05-21-2019, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Hulkjeepyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
I had a badly cracked header (we all have, I'm sure) for years, and it always passed smog with super low numbers. Lower than many new cars. Fixing the crack didn't change the numbers much, if at all. It's probably your cat or a sensor.
My gut feeling is that it's a bad cat. I changed out my O2 sensor and it was burnt to hell but these YJ's can run decent without an O2 sensor since the computer runs at a default setting if it doesn't get an O2 reading.
post #8 of 42 Old 05-21-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Hulkjeepyj

Also when I did my exhaust manifold replacement, I noticed that this rubber tube coming from the air intake to the PCV valve is busted. I was thinking on replacing this as well or tape it up. Could this be causing a NOx issue?
Attached Thumbnails
20190521_222926_1558492206872.jpg  
post #9 of 42 Old 05-22-2019, 09:16 AM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

If you got 8 years out of an aftermarket CAT, that's pretty good. They are not nearly as robust as the originals were. Just replace it and be good for another 8.

I didn't know GA had smog testing. And that surprises me. Is that just around Atlanta?

I don't think the CCV hack is doing anything negative. Around here they would probably fail you for a visual on that. I fail you for a visual on the green tape, but I'm sure it is still collecting vapors just fine.

Bill
Jeepers drive high!
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2.5" lift + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #10 of 42 Old 05-22-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Hulkjeepyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
If you got 8 years out of an aftermarket CAT, that's pretty good. They are not nearly as robust as the originals were. Just replace it and be good for another 8.

I didn't know GA had smog testing. And that surprises me. Is that just around Atlanta?

I don't think the CCV hack is doing anything negative. Around here they would probably fail you for a visual on that. I fail you for a visual on the green tape, but I'm sure it is still collecting vapors just fine. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/JeepForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]
Haha good to know. They only require smog testing in Atlanta and its suburbs. I changed out the O2 sensor and put in 93 octane with a can of seafoam so I might try this first then buy a new cat if I fail the test again. The jeep runs like brand new so I'd hate to drop money on a cat converter if I don't need to test the jeep anymore after this year.
post #11 of 42 Old 05-22-2019, 06:53 PM
1project2many
1995 YJ Wrangler 

NOx is formed when combustion temps are too high. Slowing burn down can help by causing more combustion to occur after piston reaches TDC. Don't add alcohol or a light hydrocarbon cleaning solution. 4-6 Ozs of diesel fuel or Marvel Mystery Oil per gallon of gasoline can actually make a slight difference. It can be hard to tell how much additive you need so the better answer is to get the new converter. Aftermarket cat is only required to live for 20k miles or a couple of years.
post #12 of 42 Old 05-23-2019, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Hulkjeepyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
NOx is formed when combustion temps are too high. Slowing burn down can help by causing more combustion to occur after piston reaches TDC. Don't add alcohol or a light hydrocarbon cleaning solution. 4-6 Ozs of diesel fuel or Marvel Mystery Oil per gallon of gasoline can actually make a slight difference. It can be hard to tell how much additive you need so the better answer is to get the new converter. Aftermarket cat is only required to live for 20k miles or a couple of years.
Would a Magnaflow Direct Fit be sufficient or do people recommend another type for a Jeep YJ?
post #13 of 42 Old 05-23-2019, 06:43 AM
Johnnyrev

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
NOx is also formed by preignition and extra air intake, so that PCV leak or any little tweak on distributor advance can affect it. I've seen California shops 'de-tune' classic cars to make them pass NOx standards, it really POs owners. Intake gasket leaks can affect it as well, but we won't go there, cross our fingers, since you were just messing with those bolts when you replaced the exhaust manifold. I'd spend some pennies instead of using tape to buy a new hose and/or PCV valve if it's broken so your Jeep doesn't fail on the visual, and hit it with a timing light to check it if you have that kind of experience.

Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, cut it with a hatchet.
post #14 of 42 Old 05-23-2019, 09:05 AM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyrev View Post
NOx is also formed by preignition and extra air intake, so that PCV leak or any little tweak on distributor advance can affect it. I've seen California shops 'de-tune' classic cars to make them pass NOx standards, it really POs owners. Intake gasket leaks can affect it as well, but we won't go there, cross our fingers, since you were just messing with those bolts when you replaced the exhaust manifold. I'd spend some pennies instead of using tape to buy a new hose and/or PCV valve if it's broken so your Jeep doesn't fail on the visual, and hit it with a timing light to check it if you have that kind of experience.
I don't know the 2.5L very well, but I believe that is a CCV, not a PCV, so it won't ever be a vacuum leak. All good points made other than that little one.

Bill
Jeepers drive high!
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2.5" lift + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #15 of 42 Old 05-23-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Hulkjeepyj

So I ran the temp test on my cat converter and I'm getting about 300-350 degrees inlet and about 400-450 degrees outlet. Based on those numbers I think the cat converter is running fine. Might need to replace it anyway if I fail the emissions test for the 3rd time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in