exhaust - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-13-2008, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
DirtyJeep95

exhaust

I was looking at an exhaust system from quadratec, it shows a gasket for the down pipe coming off the exhaust manifold, I didn't think there was a gasket there, does anyone know if there is? and if there is, the bolts that attach the down pipe can they be replaced if they break by knocking them out and replacing them with ss bolts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-13-2008, 07:55 PM
4x4dap

there is no gasket, and yes you can knock those bolts out, just use a hammer, they come out really easy
post #3 of 17 Old 01-13-2008, 08:11 PM
The Rat

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've also been told that there is no gasket, but AutoZone has them. Maybe some came with them and some did not? I'm not sure but I'm gonna try one out in the near future as my gasketless downpipe causes the Jeep to be ultra loud at anything over 1.5k rpm.

OH WAIT. WHAT?

post #4 of 17 Old 01-13-2008, 08:47 PM
AZ95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes there is a ring gasket there. It looks like a metal ring, but it gets squished between the pipes. When I changed out my exhaust manifold I had to pull out the old one and put in a new one.

95 Jeep Wrangler Sport (mostly stock right now)
Airaid intake system
Gibson Cat Back
post #5 of 17 Old 01-13-2008, 09:12 PM
jeeepguy

1998 ZJ 

Hmmm...

I wonder what the FSM says?

"Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
post #6 of 17 Old 01-13-2008, 10:03 PM
SonofSam02
1994 YJ Wrangler 

mine has one

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-13-2008, 10:31 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ95YJ
Yes there is a ring gasket there. It looks like a metal ring, but it gets squished between the pipes. When I changed out my exhaust manifold I had to pull out the old one and put in a new one.
Mine had one just like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-13-2008, 10:33 PM
4x4dap

mine mates up real good, no leaks without the exhaust. i asked at advanced auto and places like that and they said there is none. must depend on your pipe
post #9 of 17 Old 01-13-2008, 10:41 PM
tuckinauster

2001 XJ Cherokee 

i had a really bad leak at the collector. my jeep didnt have a gasket there so i put one in, i had to put in longer bolts though. the stock studs werent long enough with the gasket in place. so far it works great, now i just need to do something about the cracked manifold.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. O'rouke
"The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."
post #10 of 17 Old 01-13-2008, 10:41 PM
red87yj

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I call BS! There is a gasket between the manifold and crossover, and has been on every ball joint type exhaust that I have ever worked on. It may look like it is part of the pipe, but the hemispherical end is the gasket. I would try a store like NAPA for a part like that.
Later
Zach

1993 YJ with a 4.0 & TF 999 & Np 231 (All to change soon!)

SOLD!!!87 Red YJ with 95 4.0 & NV 3550 & Dana 300 Flipped
3.5 BDS Lift
post #11 of 17 Old 01-13-2008, 11:10 PM
4x4dap

yea, thats what i thought, and i made sure when i was at the store. maybe ill try somewhere else.
post #12 of 17 Old 01-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Jeeples
Harsh, but fair

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by red87yj
I call BS! There is a gasket between the manifold and crossover, and has been on every ball joint type exhaust that I have ever worked on. It may look like it is part of the pipe, but the hemispherical end is the gasket. I would try a store like NAPA for a part like that.
Later
Zach

Settle down there skippy.

My '94 did not have a gasket between the collector and the down pipe. If you want to argue about it, that's fine, but considering that my YJ was 95% factory original when I bought it (second owner now), I am willing to be that there wasn't one installed by the factory. Hell I just replaced my idler pullies and they had Chrysler part numbers on them still.

Furthermore, my Pacesetter header, Y-pipe, and I-pipe did not come with any gaskets (other than the cheap paper manifold gasket) that were recommended for installation. The manifold has two collectors that are both ball and socket style that mate to a Y-pipe that crosses over in front of the oil pan. Over a year now since I installed it and no leaks from the system at all, even in low single digit temps. I even dropped the Y-pipe when I did my Rear Main Seal, and after completing the job I didn't have any exhaust leaks either.

His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- Some stuff

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
This is easily the worst post, and thread, I have ever seen in 7 years of being on JF.
post #13 of 17 Old 01-13-2008, 11:25 PM
jeeepguy

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Settle down there skippy...
Gotta love it!

You're my hero Jeeples.

"Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
post #14 of 17 Old 01-13-2008, 11:33 PM
workinonit

I just replaced my exhaust manifold on my 90. The gasket kit for the 90 came with one. But the first kit they gave me was for a 91-96 and it did not come with one. both stores I went to shows the 87-90 kit having 4 gaskets. 91-96 only having just 1.
post #15 of 17 Old 01-13-2008, 11:37 PM
Jeeples
Harsh, but fair

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinonit
I just replaced my exhaust manifold on my 90. The gasket kit for the 90 came with one. But the first kit they gave me was for a 91-96 and it did not come with one. both stores I went to shows the 87-90 kit having 4 gaskets. 91-96 only having just 1.

Are there you have it, obviously it's just a difference between production years that dictates who received a collector flange gasket and who did not.

Oh, and Jeepguy, I do what I can

His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- Some stuff

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

Quote:
This is easily the worst post, and thread, I have ever seen in 7 years of being on JF.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in