Everone has this problem! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-31-2004, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
tclark

Everone has this problem!

Okay. I've seen some random advise about a problem that most jeep owners seem to have with there YJ's.

It;
1. It stalls at stop signs.

2. Engine lopes or idles erratically.

3. There is a fuel odor.

I've heard different ideas about the cause of this.
Clogged venturi, O2 sensor bad, fuel pump bad, need to run the "nutter by-pass," or not. (Is it really bad or good?)

Anyone who can help with this would be great. It seems like such a common problem. I know eventually the best route is fuel injection, but for now there got to be an easy explanation. Right?
Anyway thanks for any help.

(Is it easy to replace the 02 sensor, and if it is can some map it out for me.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-31-2004, 05:33 PM
Scurv

Look here for some answers.

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm

RETIRED USAF MEDIC
89 YJ, 258 I6, 5 Speed/Manual, Red, 30x9.50 GSA/Gambler,Air Force Jeep Club Member #31
Red Jeep Club Member #284
post #3 of 15 Old 01-31-2004, 05:34 PM
CanukYJ

Well if you can smell guess and it idles irradically and all that it sounds like the timing is bad or you have a miss fire (bad coil\plugs\rotor\cap) or one of those. Not sure if you tried that yet. Does it do it while warming up? How about once it is warmed? Are you still using the junk carter?

My jeep has only ever killed 3 things, a cat, a deer, and my wallet. What's the problem officer?

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.

post #4 of 15 Old 01-31-2004, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
tclark

Thanks for that index.

I know i need to get rid of that bbd carb for the weber. I think this problem is due to some type of emmission system malfunction. I wish I could rip the entire thing out.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-31-2004, 05:58 PM
Scurv

Hopefully you don't have emission where u live. Don't think the weber config is set up to pass. I had the same smell. Jet the sprynet link for checking the metering jets at idel. I gas is dripping then the jets may be clogged?? Check you vacumn lines. My exhasut manifld bolt were loose and I replaced my vapor canister. Check the link on how to check the vapor canister. It's just a matter of compressing one of the lines with a screw driver. If the idle changes then the canister may be clogged or a line may be clogged. I replaced all the hose and took the canister apart and it seemed to work better. I ended up buying a canister from the dealer. I failed emissions in Illinois on HC'z so I'm tinkering with the emissions now. There is alos supposed to be some type of canister that runs form the gas tank. Supposed to be up in one of the rear fender wells but I couldnt see one. Guess the connection rots. Alos the fuel pump gasket goes bad on these. I pulled up the recall info for my 89 and that was one of them. None of the 3 recalls were done. I called and made an appt and they fixed them. Front brake lines, gasket, and ??choke bellow?? Good luck. Make sure they don't crack your gas tank skid plate with their jack!! Good luck.

Bob

RETIRED USAF MEDIC
89 YJ, 258 I6, 5 Speed/Manual, Red, 30x9.50 GSA/Gambler,Air Force Jeep Club Member #31
post #6 of 15 Old 01-31-2004, 06:32 PM
CanukYJ

That thing in the rear fenderwell should be the charcoal canister if I am correct (I know it is on some of the 'newer' models) it will trap vapors from the gas tank to be burned. It could help emissions but not sure if it would be bad enough to cause a fail unless the smell of gas was getting into the sniffer.

My jeep has only ever killed 3 things, a cat, a deer, and my wallet. What's the problem officer?

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-31-2004, 07:11 PM
Scurv

The vapor canister..ie...charcoal canister on ym 89 is next to the firewall behind the drivers side fender well. There was a post in 4wd.com I saw about an additional canister in the rear quarter behind one of the tail lights.

RETIRED USAF MEDIC
post #8 of 15 Old 02-02-2004, 06:43 PM
akrazgpr

I would check your choke settings. All your symptoms sound like an over rich condition caused by a sticking choke.

Later AJ

1997 Cherokee (wifes grocery getter)now mine,3.5" Custom lift, SYE, CV Driveshaft, ORGS Track BAR, ZJ Lower arms, Wrangler Brake Lines, Bilstein Shocks, Gambler wheels, BFG 31x10.50 AT's
post #9 of 15 Old 02-02-2004, 08:47 PM
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukYJ
That thing in the rear fenderwell should be the charcoal canister if I am correct (I know it is on some of the 'newer' models) it will trap vapors from the gas tank to be burned. It could help emissions but not sure if it would be bad enough to cause a fail unless the smell of gas was getting into the sniffer.
actually you guys are referring to the rollover valve. or more precisely the reducer that holds it. in the passenger side fender well, mounted behind the tail light. go to the back most corner and pull the plastic covering away from the underside and stick your flashlight up in there. if there's something that looks like this

http://www.geocities.com/silentsentinal/Reducer1.html

http://www.geocities.com/silentsentinal/Reducer2.html

flopping around back there, then you need to go to the dealer and order part number 5300 4047. it's listed as a connector in their schematic under fuel lines. took them a while to figure out what part i was taking about when i asked them for it so i was sure to save the info. i think it was only used in the pre 91 wranglers though.

RIP: '88 YJ 2.5L Ax-5 NP231
Posi-Loked. Herculined. Optima yellow top. 1" Shackle, 2" BDS. Cragar 397's Aussie front.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood

Last edited by sentinal02; 10-05-2004 at 09:51 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-02-2004, 10:22 PM
todnshay

Sentinal, does this mount to anything? Do you have to drop the tank to get to it? I have had the same problem and have yet to find it. I have dropped the tank twice looking for bad hoses, did the charcaol canister test, but was fine. My 87 has the charcoal canister on the drivers side front fender. Haven't removed it, looks like it would be hard to get out. I have heard about the roll over canister, but necer knew where it was. Was it hard to replace>
post #11 of 15 Old 02-02-2004, 10:40 PM
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by todnshay
Sentinal, does this mount to anything? Do you have to drop the tank to get to it? I have had the same problem and have yet to find it. I have dropped the tank twice looking for bad hoses, did the charcaol canister test, but was fine. My 87 has the charcoal canister on the drivers side front fender. Haven't removed it, looks like it would be hard to get out. I have heard about the roll over canister, but necer knew where it was. Was it hard to replace>
Not hard at all. hardest part is getting a screwdrive up in there to tighten up the clamp that is supposed to be on the smaller end of the rubber piece in the picture. it's designed to mount to a hardline clamped to the fenderwell. what happens is the larger, heavier end of that reducer is just sitting there, letting the small end and the clamp hold it to the line. over time the constant back and forth rocking of the top heavy part fatigues the bottom and it breaks off, leaving the clamp and the lower portion of the reducer on the hard line. the extreme left edge of the piece in the picture is where it's broken. there's supposed to be another inch of rubber after the taper where a clamp would hold it.

to get to it, all you have to do is pull the plastic shield on the underside of the jeep away far enough to get your hand up in there. I found mine while doing my CB mount so i had the tail light off. the opening for the tail light wires in the body is at just the right height to look in and see what you're doing without having to lie on your back. not necessary though. to change the part, just pull the line out like i have in the picture (assuming this is your problem) and pull the white valve out off the larger reducer. it's the off white thing that the smaller line is attached to in the pic. you'll see what i mean when you get the new part. then just take a stubby screwdriver and loosen up the clamp that it still on the hardline (or get a new one if it's not there) and put it over the small end of the reducer. shove the whole thing back in there and fiddle around with it til you get it seated back on the hardline nice and tight. tighten the clamp and you're done. once you're arm is up there moving it around, you'll be working blind so i highly recommend taking the tail light off to do it. only a couple sheet metal screws holding it on. worth saving you the aggravation. 20 minutes tops to fix this. and only like 20 bucks at the dealer. HTH

Posi-Loked. Herculined. Optima yellow top. 1" Shackle, 2" BDS. Cragar 397's Aussie front.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
post #12 of 15 Old 02-02-2004, 11:02 PM
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

here's part of the dealer's schematic of the part and how it goes together. 21 is the reducer you'll want to change out, 20 is the white valve you'll pull out of the old one and reuse, 19 is the smaller line that the part hangs from in the pic and 22 way down at the bottom is the hardline the setup mounts to. I boxed in the part of the reducer that breaks off and stays with the hardline. the rest of the parts have nothing to do with this particular problem. i just was too lazy to erase them. HTH

edit: all that and i forgot the image. long night

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231

Last edited by sentinal02; 10-05-2004 at 09:52 PM.
post #13 of 15 Old 02-03-2004, 12:19 PM
MarathonScott

Thanks to this thread, I located my gas smell. I just ordered the parts to fix this yesterday. The part numbers are:

item 21 -- 53004047 $28.20
item 20 -- J5360058 $ 8.51

Both these parts are missing from my jeep.

I took my hardline down out of the body by removing one of those plastic push-in connectors that was holding a clamp around the pipe. You have to get a pair of diagonal cutters up in there and pull the center of the pin out, that will collapse the connector and you can pull the pin out of the hole in the body. My jeep had the same type plastic pin holding the mud shield onto the body right behind the wheel.

My next question is: where does 19 go? I don't have that part (at least where I can see it).
post #14 of 15 Old 02-03-2004, 12:41 PM
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

the dealer lists 19 as a vent hose, so my guess it runs back to the charcoal canister. can't say that i know that for sure. but if i traced teh lines right when i first found this problem on mine, then that's where it goes. i believe it runs over the top of the tank and back to a hardline to run along the driver side frame rail. been a while since i've donethis fix so i can't be sure though.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
post #15 of 15 Old 02-03-2004, 12:56 PM
MarathonScott

Thanks Sentinal02.

That would explain that loop of vent hose hanging off the drivers side of the tank. I haven't had a chance to drop the tank and check it out yet. I just tucked it back on top of the tank so it wouldn't hang down and get caught on something. I wonder, maybe the rest of my check valve is up there!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in