Engine temp 220 at idle - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-19-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Jp241993

Engine temp 220 at idle

Hi, first time post here, so I have a 93 wrangler with a 4.0 automatic, the engine came out of a 95 Cherokee, has about 260,xxx miles, mostly everything was replaced, water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing, radiator, etc, I suspect this issue to be stemming from the fan clutch going bad? I have seen similar posts here on this forum and they say fan clutch, but I haven’t seen any post specific to mine since I swapped motors from an xj even tho it’s the same 4.0 engine. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-22-2019, 02:52 PM
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Does your fan spin more than a quarter turn after itís been running a while? By spin a quarter turn, thatís spinning by hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 08-22-2019, 06:03 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Does it run cooler going down the road? I assume it does. If so that usually points to the fan or the shroud if it only happens at idle. So, belts in good condition and not slipping, fan clutch in good condition, etc.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-22-2019, 06:32 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The XJ fan is off set unless you relocated it... The XJ has an off set mechanic fan and then an electrical fan... Is your fan centered and with a shroud? Is this new since the eng swap? or was it previously running cool and now its a new problem?

I used an E fan in my XJ eng swap...

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #5 of 7 Old 08-23-2019, 05:47 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireLJ View Post
The XJ fan is off set unless you relocated it... The XJ has an off set mechanic fan and then an electrical fan... Is your fan centered and with a shroud? Is this new since the eng swap? or was it previously running cool and now its a new problem?

It is offset on some. I dont think it was on the 95 and I know its not on the 96 as I got my engine from one. If it is offset I believe the water pump is wehat offsets it so just get a YJ water pump and install it. If it was offset it shouldnt have fit in the shroud though. If you have no shroud that is definitly part of your problem. At speed the shroud doesnt matter at idle its the difference between running normal temps and overheating

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-23-2019, 05:55 AM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireLJ View Post

It is offset on some. I dont think it was on the 95 and I know its not on the 96 as I got my engine from one. If it is offset I believe the water pump is wehat offsets it so just get a YJ water pump and install it. If it was offset it shouldnt have fit in the shroud though. If you have no shroud that is definitly part of your problem. At speed the shroud doesnt matter at idle its the difference between running normal temps and overheating
My 95 eng was offset... The fan mounts to another pulley... The water pumps mount the same but may have different rotation... If it is offset it can be mounted on the wp pulley.

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #7 of 7 Old 08-23-2019, 07:15 AM
Flyer58

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Has it ever run cool since the new pump or t-stat was installed? Are you sure you have all the air out of the system?
Just asking common questions for others who follow this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in