Engine swap - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-12-2020, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
thedone

Engine swap

Putting a 99 4.0 out of a Cherokee in a 95 wrangler that had a 2.5 question got the 4.0 engine and wire harness from the 99 in the wrangler now any advice on where I should spice into the wrangler electrical to Merry the two harnesses together? Also the fuel system on the 95 wrangler has a fuel and return line from the fuel rail to the fuel pump the 99 4.0 fuel Rail has no return fuel line my question is can I just cap Off the return line on the wranglers fuel pump just use the fuel line will that fuel pump still work for the 4.0 or do I have to get a 4.0 fuel pump

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-13-2020, 06:23 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Look up 5 for fire.... 5 wires to get engine to run....

the 99 is OBDII and the 95 wrangler is OBD1. You can make it work, most people swap sensors on engine to OBD1,

I'm assuming you have the 99 ECU?

Go to alldatadiy and you can get the wiring for the 95 and the 99 and that'll help...

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #3 of 6 Old 02-15-2020, 07:45 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Like ^^^ said: are you using Cherokee ecu or using the wrangler OBD1 stuff?

There’s no compatibility between the two where you splice harnesses.

Adding two injectors and moving the two or three 60-pin connector pins is pretty simple. Wrangler 2.5 computer gets removed, plug 4.0 computer in.
Mine ran first try.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over

post #4 of 6 Old 02-15-2020, 08:16 AM
Jeepinjon
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm putting a '97 xj 4.0 in my 95. I've had to source pretty much everything. I realized I had the wrong fuel rail so I went to ebay and got an entire intake manifold/throttle body/fuel rail from a '95 yj from deadjeep for $80. I needed a throttle body too so this seemed like a hell of a deal.

Originally Posted by mean90yj
follow my logic on this one:
the people who say that drive tj's, tj's have round headlights...boobs are round....people who drive tj's are boobs.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-16-2020, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
thedone

Yes I have the 4.0 comp. in along with the complete 4.0 engine harness do I keep it like that or use the 2.5 harness plug in 4.0 comp. and add 2 enjectores ? So your saying I have to get a 4.0 fuel rail that has the fuel and return line on it? Any videos on this anywhere
post #6 of 6 Old 02-17-2020, 11:21 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
IIRC the 1990-1995 YJ mpfi 2.5s all have a fuel return line as does all 4.0 YJs. They are stainless steel and rugged. So that should be easy. The in-tank fuel pump should work fine, too.

I recommend using the 2.5 harness. You steal two injectors and injector wires from the Cherokee and add those to the 2.5 harness and wire them to the appropriate pins of the 60-pin connector. You also have to move one or two other wires to a different pin on the 60-pin connector. That’s it. There’s several threads on this, and I believe I have links to two of them in this overly-long ramble: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...topics/3353321
I think if you scroll to post 140 or so...

I also removed the pipe plug in the lower driver’s side of the block and put a bushing in place to accept the oem temp sender for the gauge. The XJ block doesn’t have this 2nd sender; the one on the tstat housing feeds the ecu.

You will need to change every one of the senders from XJ to YJ. IIRC the 2.5 senders are the same as the 4.0. Every plug is different XJ to YJ (at least on mine) which actually made it easier.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in