Engine stumbles below 1/2 tank. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-20-2019, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
elchunkogrande
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Engine stumbles below 1/2 tank.

When I redid the fuel pump and filter on my YJ for the TBI install, I put it about mid frame rail for height about even with back end of the skid plate. Means that it has to suck when the fuel gets below half full. I ran some errands in it this morning and it got to stumbling. Engine would quit for a second or two before jumping forward so I filled it up and the problem went away. Guess I'll have to lower the fuel pump.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-21-2019, 12:13 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'll take a picture of where I mounted it tomorrow.
I think the best pump for the TBI is the Walbro. Went through a couple before getting the Walbro. It's quiet too.
Been on about 4 or 5 years now without a hiccup even in 117* heat.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
post #3 of 5 Old 11-22-2019, 11:43 AM
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchunkogrande View Post
When I redid the fuel pump and filter on my YJ for the TBI install, I put it about mid frame rail for height about even with back end of the skid plate. Means that it has to suck when the fuel gets below half full. I ran some errands in it this morning and it got to stumbling. Engine would quit for a second or two before jumping forward so I filled it up and the problem went away. Guess I'll have to lower the fuel pump.

Dumb question. How do you know itís below half? Are you going by your fuel gauge? I once tore about my entire electrical system, computer and all because I was chasing a TBI issue. Turns out I was out of fuel. I just assumed my gauge was accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'87 reg. historic, 2" bds springs, 1" boom shackles, 1" daystar BL, 31" Intereco trxus, Crager soft 8's, steel braided brake extensions, monsta liner

post #4 of 5 Old 11-22-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
elchunkogrande
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You're right but I filled it up when the gauge said 1/2 and it held 10 gallons so the gauge is pretty accurate.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-24-2019, 04:21 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Your fuel pump has to suck regardless of the level of fuel in the tank.

A couple of thoughts.

Some YJ tanks have a baffle around the pick up which helps to control fuel sloshing and starvation during corners etc. and some do not.

You may have an air leak in your fuel tank pick up unit that is exposed below a half tank. It may not have showed up if previously carbureted as I assume it was because the fuel bowl in the carb has a reserve of fuel. An injection system however will drop pressure if starved.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in