Engine died while driving and won't start back up. Pulling code 42. - Page 4 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 57 Old 08-19-2015, 09:26 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Really good point John. Look at the harness for each of the 3 things I listed looking for a short.

Fault codes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mean Max pics of everything:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 57 Old 08-20-2015, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
rleff34
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste
There are more then four sensors the green/red go to. That circuit carries voltage. Somewhere you have short to ground that caused the wire to fail. Not confident you will have fixed the problem without finding the short.
I knew something had to be causing it. Thanks.
post #48 of 57 Old 08-20-2015, 03:56 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Where is the harness at that burned
? I can see the section but can't tell where it's at.

Fault codes:

No Start:

post #49 of 57 Old 08-20-2015, 07:14 AM
fearior

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Just food for thought but i had same symptoms in my cherokee 4.0. Starter turned over fine. Fuel pump cycled, but it wouldn't even try to fire when turning over. It was the oil pressure sensor. Located right on the housing the oil filter screws into. Changed it out and it fired up like there was never a problem. It was a few dollars just food for thought.
post #50 of 57 Old 08-20-2015, 07:21 AM
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

The OBD1 on the YJ doesn't use an OP signal to the ECM to control the spark therefore fuel.
post #51 of 57 Old 08-20-2015, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
rleff34
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
Where is the harness at that burned ? I can see the section but can't tell where it's at.
I havent found that yet. The wire coating is just coming off on nearly all of the wire.
post #52 of 57 Old 08-20-2015, 03:33 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

You have a dead short. Probably the alternator.

Fault codes:

No Start:
post #53 of 57 Old 08-20-2015, 04:37 PM
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
post #54 of 57 Old 08-23-2015, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
rleff34
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
this is at the coil harness. This was covered up with electrical tape (probably previous owner.) hmm...
Attached Images

post #55 of 57 Old 08-23-2015, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
rleff34
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
nothing looks wrong with ground at alternator...could it be the whole alternator itself? I don't want to take off the compressor and alternator if I don't have to. Following the green and orange wire ends up at the o2 sensor as in this picture. Note the bare copper!
Attached Images

post #56 of 57 Old 08-23-2015, 09:39 AM
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

The 12v ASD sensor supply is part of the O2 circuit. Also the splice for the coil power can be a trouble spot.
Check and fix what you have found then use your meter to check for any additional groundings, if any
post #57 of 57 Old 08-23-2015, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
rleff34
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
The 12v ASD sensor supply is part of the O2 circuit. Also the splice for the coil power can be a trouble spot.
Check and fix what you have found then use your meter to check for any additional groundings, if any
I'm starting a new thread so it's all easier, go check it out. If there's anything that's made me feel stupid it's owning my first jeep that is usually broken. I was debating taking it to a mechanic but I'm the type who likes to fix stuff on my own and I have the time on this sunday to do it and my willingness with you and other's knowledge can get this done on my own easily. I'm about to go stick my head under there and keep tracing the wire. Thank you!

Tags
asd , fuel pump , relay , start problems , start-up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in