Electrical Gremlins - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 05-15-2019, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
G3R0N1M0

Electrical Gremlins

Hi guys 👋 new here on this forum working on a 1990 YJ tearing my hair out with electrical Gremlins I'm having an intermittent no start/stalling issue. cause no spark root of cause no idea distributor have been rebuild ie cap and rotor new coil new plugs and wires when there issue happens there is no spark coming from the coil where do I go from there any help won't be great thanks so much for

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 05-15-2019, 05:59 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check your crank sensor. If its bad or no signal it will kill spark

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #3 of 34 Old 05-15-2019, 06:15 AM
RenixJunker

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Check the Crank Position Sensor. the harness is extra long on some aftermarket replacements and it falls onto the exhaust. After it gets crunchy the intermittent problems begin.

Tires Clear the Obstacle
Suspension Clears Your Tires
Build From the Bottom Up

post #4 of 34 Old 05-15-2019, 11:45 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It would be nice to know your Jeep info to give you good advice. Crank sensor or a bad coil.

Fault codes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mean Max pics of everything:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
post #5 of 34 Old 05-15-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
G3R0N1M0

Sorry your right it's a 4.2 carburetored
post #6 of 34 Old 05-15-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
G3R0N1M0

Also could a bad crank sensor cause intermittent no start/stall?
post #7 of 34 Old 05-15-2019, 09:14 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

There's no crank sensor on the 4.2.

Bad Ignition Control Module, rid yourself of that and order a HEI distributor from CRT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #8 of 34 Old 05-16-2019, 06:19 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

4.2 Carb'd. Has the Jeep been modifies and the nutter bypass done? Its a common mod that bypasses the emissions controls for the carb. Is it a stock carb?
So you're losing spark. The coil (ICM) and wiring is a common issue. Before you dump money into the ICM you need to answer the first 2 questions. If you have bypassed the vacuum nightmare then the answer is to get a HEI coil setup. The difference in reliability and better spark makes a work of difference and its much simpler.
timatoe likes this.

Fault codes:

No Start:
post #9 of 34 Old 05-16-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
G3R0N1M0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
4.2 Carb'd. Has the Jeep been modifies and the nutter bypass done? Its a common mod that bypasses the emissions controls for the carb. Is it a stock carb?
So you're losing spark. The coil (ICM) and wiring is a common issue. Before you dump money into the ICM you need to answer the first 2 questions. If you have bypassed the vacuum nightmare then the answer is to get a HEI coil setup. The difference in reliability and better spark makes a work of difference and its much simpler.
All stock no bypass part number on the hei that works?
post #10 of 34 Old 05-16-2019, 09:45 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=crt+hei

https://crtperformance.com/shop?olsP...-232258-42l-i6

Quote:
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #11 of 34 Old 05-17-2019, 05:46 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You really need to fill out your profile. Its hard to tell what you have on the rig and where you're at. Are you in an emissions compliant state. Will you have to smog your Jeep? If the answer is no then The nutter bypass can be ignored and you go to the MC2100 or the Weber 38 along with a HEI coil. These 2 things will bring your Jeep engine to life and eliminate so many of the issues that plague the early Jeeps. Together they are relatively inexpensive with a total under $500.00 for both you will be doing yourself a huge favor in the long run.

If you do need to meet compliance then you do the Nutter bypass. It will allow you to go back when you need to.

Fault codes:

No Start:
post #12 of 34 Old 05-17-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
G3R0N1M0

So thanks to all who have replied it was infact the ICM cause those issues but now I have a new issue that popped up while I was waiting for the part to come in all the gauges went out except the speedo and the clock (if I wiggle it a bit) I checked the fuse it was fine I currently have the gauges out so I can clean up the ribbon but I'm not even getting any signal to the connector any one have any ideas where to go from here?
post #13 of 34 Old 05-17-2019, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
G3R0N1M0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Are you in an emissions compliant state. Will you have to smog your Jeep?
I'm in California and no smog on this Jeep it is a 1990 YJ w/ 4.2 i6 mated to a 5 speed 4x4 all stock no lift also it's not mine it's a family member who does not want to put it in the shop any more due to being screwed over to many times he wasn't interested in changing to hei or changing the carb so I gotta work with what I got also I did have to pull apart the carb today due to cruddy idle gonna clean out the lower end of it (idle mix) see if that helps any gosh this turned in to a long winded post 😂😂
post #14 of 34 Old 05-17-2019, 09:09 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Why do you have no smog on a '90 in CA? In an exempt county?

Quote:
post #15 of 34 Old 05-18-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
G3R0N1M0

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Why do you have no smog on a '90 in CA? In an exempt county?
Private ranch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in