E Fans - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 09-25-2021, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
gehlsurf

E Fans

Hey guys,

I'm kind of interested in going electric fan, but not a wiring guru, and so like stupid simple stuff, lol.

When buying a fan, does it have to go to a temp module? Or do some of you just wire it up on an ignition wire and have a 3 position toggle switch? Off, speed low, speed high? Or just on/off?

Also, do they need their own relay?

I have AC and it doesn't work, and I don't care, lol. Was actually planning on doing the air compressor mod to it, since I have it. So a fan won't need to kick on for AC. I'd rather have onboarding Air than AC, even though I live in FL, LOL

thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-25-2021, 11:43 AM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

why do you want to go to an electric fan?

Is there some resolution you are trying to achieve, or, just because?

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-25-2021, 11:46 AM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
one of the most common fans to use is out of a ford taurus or Lincoln mark VII. they are two speed, move a lot of air and the shroud almost exactly fits a jeep radiator. they use a lot of power though, something like 60 amps on start up. so you need a big relay. you can use a switch but eventually you will forget to turn it on so a controller is better. I have mine set up with a controller to switch on the low speed an a manual switch if I need it on high.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #4 of 17 Old 09-25-2021, 06:02 PM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

In a year you'll be starting a 'why did I bother going with an electric fan' thread. If you want a project, and air-down for off-roading, convert the A/C compressor to OBA.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" Patagonia M/Ts, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA.
Web Admin for

post #5 of 17 Old 09-25-2021, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
gehlsurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
In a year you'll be starting a 'why did I bother going with an electric fan' thread. If you want a project, and air-down for off-roading, convert the A/C compressor to OBA.
JeeperDon, lol, you know me pretty well somehow.

I'd like to do one because it seems to make sense if you get buried in water, but I always wondered how the water doesnt mess up the connections. I live in FL, and flooding is a thing here.

But to be honest, I am also kind of conflicted, because clutch fans do work well, and I replaced mine maybe 2 years ago. Running strong, too, many say you need to keep the plastics on for direction of air, mine came off, and never overheated.

Maybe I should stick with mechanical.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-26-2021, 09:00 AM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

IMO you should leave it alone if you aren't having any problems. I understand the rationale to put an e fan on if you plan on regularly going through 4+ feet deep water since you can turn it off but that's realistically just one in a whole host of problems you'll have to deal with when going through water that deep. You can do a lot to mitigate the problems with a mechanical fan in deep water like cracking the hood open, letting things cool down a bit so the fan clutch won't spin the fan as hard, and not charging into the water like a lunatic. That said, if the fan does hit the radiator or the e fan goes out, what is your backup plan? The odds you can get a replacement radiator at the nearest parts store is very high but the odds you'll find another e fan in stock that will work at a local parts store is pretty terrible. If either the fan or radiator go out, you're getting towed or you're abandoning your vehicle. The radiator does take more work to change but you can change it on the trail. Meanwhile, if your e fan goes out, the fix may be less elbow grease but your weekend trip is over and you may be getting towed home.

post #7 of 17 Old 09-26-2021, 05:26 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I have had a great deal of experience fixing customer vehicles that went through or got stopped in deep water. You need to pay attention to a lot more than the fan if you plan on doing it. Any seal that goes underwater can let water in a lot more easily than it holds oil or lubricants. Some seals actually have a spiral type cut in the rubber between the two lips which help them to keep their perspective lube in but make them WANT to draw water in. The condition of your diff and trans vents and hoses matter. How dedicated you are to checking the fluids for water contamination shortly after being in the water hazard?

Will you air intake pick up water??? It does not have to be at a level that seem harmful, wakes and stuff get made in front of vehicles going through water and the wake may do unpredictable things when it goes over bumpers, through the core support and grille, around the gear box, etc. Remember. Your exhaust is also underwater, all bets are off if you stall it. So if you do stall for whatever reason and those reasons can be many because you just submerged your vehicle. They really are not made to do this.

My son hydrolocked my 95 XJ 4.0 bad enough to not bend but break two connecting rods. One of his buddies a couple of months later posted the video on FB. The video proved two things. That my son was lying about how deep of water he went through. The other thing it told me is that the water was not deep enough on the exterior of the vehicle to get to where the air intake was located but a ***** ton of it got home. Know what I mean?

One last thought. What effect does water have on a PROPERLY functioning clutch fan at idle? They will slip, they do slip.. they should pass through water at a low speed decently and the water will cool them of and make them slip more. I will add that to do clean ups on engines that I work on I pour gallon jugs of water over the front of the engines all the time. Belts slip like a b!tch when you do this so when you are in water that deep your belts will slip also. JS.

Yes. Vehicles can be made to Ford water very effectively but I would be worried about more things than my clutch fan.

I never turned the other button on but I will officially use the one to turn it off.

Me personally. I will never have a vehicle that is purpose driven to go through deep water. If I was going to run trails that it was needed I would plan for it. If the roads are flooded to where I need to ford through water, I am not going anywhere. I have supplies. I am not going to go drive them because it is stupid. If I lived where I need to drive through floods frequently, I would move because you are living where you can lose everything in the blink of an eye. Not worth it IMO.

I think waternut said it.... You are just looking for an upgrade. Do the OBA

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-27-2021, 09:20 PM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
lot of love/hate for e-fans. when I did mine I needed a new fan clutch plus my shroud was destroyed and those are not easy to find. thought I would try a Taurus and for me it has worked out great. It's nice to have it on full blast when just idling along in hot weather or to pull some extra air if the auto trans is running hot. Had it about 10 years and had one controller go bad after about 5, no other problems. I carry a spare fan motor in case mine ever stops running, 4 screws to change it and a couple wires but never had to

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #9 of 17 Old 09-28-2021, 06:22 AM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
lot of love/hate for e-fans. when I did mine I needed a new fan clutch plus my shroud was destroyed and those are not easy to find. thought I would try a Taurus and for me it has worked out great. It's nice to have it on full blast when just idling along in hot weather or to pull some extra air if the auto trans is running hot. Had it about 10 years and had one controller go bad after about 5, no other problems. I carry a spare fan motor in case mine ever stops running, 4 screws to change it and a couple wires but never had to
I think you're one of the few people who actually designed their e fan correctly with a proper fan rating, proper controller, and you even have a backup plan. I think at least 99% of people don't do at least one of those and many don't do any of it right.

IMO there are a few problems that cause the majority of e fan failures. Low fan CFM, crappy fan controller/unreliable controller/manual switch, and an incorrect fan shroud design. I've tried an e fan on 3 different vehicles and admittedly, I'm guilty of at least one of those in every instance thinking this time will be better than the last. Yet every time, I remember how much I hate the fan noise, then get pissed off at something not working perfectly, and I go back to the mechanical fan for it's brutal simplicity.

post #10 of 17 Old 09-28-2021, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
gehlsurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I think you're one of the few people who actually designed their e fan correctly with a proper fan rating, proper controller, and you even have a backup plan. I think at least 99% of people don't do at least one of those and many don't do any of it right.

IMO there are a few problems that cause the majority of e fan failures. Low fan CFM, crappy fan controller/unreliable controller/manual switch, and an incorrect fan shroud design. I've tried an e fan on 3 different vehicles and admittedly, I'm guilty of at least one of those in every instance thinking this time will be better than the last. Yet every time, I remember how much I hate the fan noise, then get pissed off at something not working perfectly, and I go back to the mechanical fan for it's brutal simplicity.
Carrying a spare fan motor is smart. Sounds like something I would do, I have 2 of almost everything I own possible, atleast things that matter to me, lol.

Interestingly, I have no fan shroud. I was told it would overheat in the FL heat at red lights, been 2 years and nothing has happened. I replaced the whole cooling system though, so maybe if my water pump starts to corrode or something, I'll notice it, but nothing yet. Knock on wood....
post #11 of 17 Old 09-28-2021, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
gehlsurf

I hear ya guys, and thank you for the advice. E Fan still sounds like fun, out of boredom, and the idea of "another upgrade", but yeah, in all honesty, I'd probably just avoid water that deep.

Maybe a larger Radiator? Or upgrade? Lol. Man, I get annoyed when something doesn't go my way when working on the Jeep, once fixed I think, "ok, dont mess with it for a while, just enjoy it...", 6 months later also me, "I'm bored.... let's mess with stuff..." lol
post #12 of 17 Old 09-29-2021, 05:41 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Flat skid
Front Aussie
5/8” lift shackles
1” body mounts

All things that don’t have downsides

Fwiw I’ve fjorded water halfway up the headlights (not smart, but…stinkin beavers landlocked the trail) with my mech-fan 4.0 at low speed (there’s a video out there somewhere proving it) without fan issues.
I like neither efans in YJs nor mudflaps.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #13 of 17 Old 09-29-2021, 06:16 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehlsurf View Post

But to be honest, I am also kind of conflicted, because clutch fans do work well, and I replaced mine maybe 2 years ago. Running strong, too, many say you need to keep the plastics on for direction of air, mine came off, and never overheated.

Maybe I should stick with mechanical.
The old saying: If it's not broken, don't fix it. Simplicity has its value.

I would also add that, if you're in water crossing, enough water is hitting your radiator to hugely increase cooling efficiency, fan is unnecessary.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #14 of 17 Old 09-29-2021, 07:39 PM
TSEJEEPERS

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I do like my e fan.
I run the Ford Taurus Fan. For years I just ran a heavy duty relay and different switches for high and low. I ran it on low all the time.
I later went to a controller, sorry it is not available any more, with a temp switch installed in the upper radiator hose.
The only time it has failed me is when I switched it off by mistake. I have installed a cover to keep that from happening again.
Really though I do not have a clue why I went to a e fan. I guess at the time it was all the rage so I did it.
OBA is by far one of the best and most fun upgrades I have done to my Jeep. Besides lockers. Which I do use the OBA for my front air locker.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
post #15 of 17 Old 10-08-2021, 02:01 PM
cobra30689

Garage
I V8 swapped mine, and since my engine didn't come with the mechanical fan.....I bought a 3-core EBay 4.2 radiator that came with a e-fan. Had to change the programming in the PCM as e-fans were not a thing in the trucks until 2005 (my engine/PCM was from a 2001). This one is a single-speed, and works great. The Taurus and Mark VIII fans are popular too. Key is get a good relay (some folks use the Volvo relay....has 2 in one box, hi/low), and run a hefty power lead to the battery. Even this one puts quite a hit on the electrical system, and I run the 105A Delco alternator my engine came with. Had to tweak the idle airflow settings a bit to compensate. With all of this said, if I still had my 4.2.....I would have left the mechanical fan alone.
Attached Thumbnails
20201128_164942.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in