Dumb Warn Hub Question - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 08-18-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Dumb Warn Hub Question

Putting together my D44 from a Ď79 Ford and I think the stub shafts are too long?

When I put the end snap ring on then the locking hub and tighten the bolts, I canít turn the locking mechanism. If I loosen the bolts I can. I took it apart and determine the snap ring is interfering with it causing it to bind. See pics for reference. If I take the snap ring out it works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-18-2019, 07:06 PM
shaggyjim
Joy can be found anywhere

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Mine have two groves Louie but they are chevy outer stubs. Do yours only have the one grove?

Jim...

"That's more fun than watching a hippie get mauled by a bear!"
......YJOTM June 18......
post #3 of 28 Old 08-18-2019, 07:50 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Mine only have the one groove, but I do remember seeing somewhere a difference in stub shaft lengths for the Ford D44, maybe between the HD 44 and non HD??

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

post #4 of 28 Old 08-18-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Dumb Warn Hub Question

I have two grooves as well. It must be my Chevy outers and Ford spindle

Lou

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #5 of 28 Old 08-19-2019, 07:50 AM
TSEJEEPERS

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Try hitting the stub shaft with a dead blow hammer and see if it moves in any.
The snap ring should be right up against the body of the lock hub.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
post #6 of 28 Old 08-19-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Iíll give it a swing.

Another dumb question, what are the consequences of not installing that snap ring?

Lou

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #7 of 28 Old 08-20-2019, 05:29 AM
paulhead
if it works fix it

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I have two grooves as well. It must be my Chevy outers and Ford spindle

If you use a Ford spindle you should use a Ford outter and vise versa with a Chevy spindle. I think not using the snap ring may be ok but don't quote me on that.

Trying to weld has honed my grinding skills

post #8 of 28 Old 08-20-2019, 12:22 PM
hofferwood

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Try a c-clip (like the pic) instead of a snap ring.
Attached Thumbnails
c-clip.jpg  

If it aint broke---fix it till it is
post #9 of 28 Old 08-20-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I tried using one like that but the hub just fits over the shaft. I might can grind the snap ring down so it can slide over but it may be too close.

Iím not sure what the repercussions are if there is no snap ring. If the hub is bolted in, it would hold everything in. Even if it fails, I would not lose the wheel bearings unless they overheat and fail themselves. I just donít see what would be impacted without that snap ring.

Lou

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #10 of 28 Old 08-20-2019, 03:09 PM
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I tried using one like that but the hub just fits over the shaft. I might can grind the snap ring down so it can slide over but it may be too close.

Iím not sure what the repercussions are if there is no snap ring. If the hub is bolted in, it would hold everything in. Even if it fails, I would not lose the wheel bearings unless they overheat and fail themselves. I just donít see what would be impacted without that snap ring.

I think that snap ring holds the axle shaft in place, and keeps it from walking back towards the pumpkin. And keeps the seals on the other side of the hub working properly.

I think you want that snap ring.

I'm not sure exactly what part you need to change out to get it to fit properly. If it's a Chevy hub, you may need to use a Chevy outer axle shaft.

There's definitely a combination of parts to make everything work together. What exact parts are you using now?

Reid Knuckles - Ford or Chevy?
Ford or Chevy outer axle shaft?
Ford or Chevy hub and spindle?

Are you sure that the Warn hubs you have will fit your combination of parts? There are several different types of them for various axles. I went all Ford with my Dana 44 setup.

post #11 of 28 Old 08-20-2019, 03:12 PM
StrippedTorx

HD outers Are longer. That’s a fact.
And you can safely run without that snap ring. Where is the hub going to go?

Sources: experience
paulhead and timatoe like this.
post #12 of 28 Old 08-20-2019, 03:15 PM
paulhead
if it works fix it

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post
I think that snap ring holds the axle shaft in place, and keeps it from walking back towards the pumpkin. And keeps the seals on the other side of the hub working properly.

I think you want that snap ring.

I'm not sure exactly what part you need to change out to get it to fit properly. If it's a Chevy hub, you may need to use a Chevy outer axle shaft.

There's definitely a combination of parts to make everything work together. What exact parts are you using now?

Reid Knuckles - Ford or Chevy?
Ford or Chevy outer axle shaft?
Ford or Chevy hub and spindle?

Are you sure that the Warn hubs you have will fit your combination of parts? There are several different types of them for various axles. I went all Ford with my Dana 44 setup.
He stated he has Chevy outers and Ford spindles. I googled some stuff and it seems people have gotten away without using the snap ring but I think it's a matter of how much the stub is gonna float. I'd call East coast gear or Dennys drive shafts just to be sure.

Trying to weld has honed my grinding skills

post #13 of 28 Old 08-20-2019, 06:44 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I've pulled mine apart before and had the snap ring fall out, so it ran quite awhile without it before pulling it apart and finding it. I think you'd be ok, but if it could slide into the diff it could theoretically damage the locker, but I'd think you'd have a greater risk of damaging stock spider gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #14 of 28 Old 08-20-2019, 07:22 PM
wizekrakr
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Your picture might be deceiving but to me it looks like you have room between the snap ring and the inner hub components. So if the stub axle is going to float in towards the differential that space should have been eliminated when you took the soft blow to it. I have a similar set up. Chevy knuckles, small bearing chevy spindles, chevy 19 spline stubs and 78/79 ford hubs and i'm using Warn manual locks. I went out and took off a Warn manual hub and put a straight edge across the end of the wheel hub. The stub axle only sticks out past the straight edge about .020. Yours looks like it sticks out alot further. Like I said it could be the picture illusion. Thats something you can look at. Are any of your Ford parts from a full size Ford Bronco. I found out the hard way that FS Bronco Dana 44 parts will not work because of length differences.
post #15 of 28 Old 08-20-2019, 07:35 PM
wizekrakr
1989 YJ Wrangler 

One more thing. If you are not using the outside diameter snapring that goes on the outer diameter of the wheel hub to retain the manual hub assembly The only thing that is holding your manual hub in the wheel hub is that snap ring on the stub axle. Right?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in