Dual diaphragm booster - JeepForum.com
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 03-01-2021, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
JDNightFox
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Dual diaphragm booster

My master is going out so I want to upgrade to the dual diaphragm booster with the 95 master but the booster is pretty much impossible to find

is there somewhere I could source one? I ordered a regular booster for a 95 for now because I don't know if my master was leaking into the booster

The 95 master cylinder works with either style booster right? I could technically leave my original booster on?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-01-2021, 04:11 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You could use a TJ booster.

Minor modification needed to the push/plunger rod assembly. But it will work.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 Old 03-01-2021, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
JDNightFox
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
You could use a TJ booster.

Minor modification needed to the push/plunger rod assembly. But it will work.
Yeah I saw the guy had to cut/lengthen it, but would it work with a 95 master cylinder? are all the TJ ones the same?

post #4 of 30 Old 03-01-2021, 04:37 PM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDNightFox View Post
Yeah I saw the guy had to cut/lengthen it, but would it work with a 95 master cylinder? are all the TJ ones the same?
I did mine a good number of years ago and even then the 95 booster was hard to come by.

TJ booster are all the same. the length of the push rod, that connects to the pedal, is different and the hole needs to be drill to 5/8 if you want to use the same brake light switch. You can either lengthen the rod or what I did it is modify the mounting bracket on the firewall side the get to the same distance.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #5 of 30 Old 03-01-2021, 05:46 PM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sometimes finding a solution to a different problem is easier than finding the solution to your original problem. I've heard rumors of a 95 brake booster being dual diaphragm and bolting right in but since no one can get their hands on one, this is all kind of a moot point. I guess you should be thankful you don't have a 95 booster that's going out and are being forced to adapt something because no one makes a direct bolt in option.

The TJ, WJ, later XJ's, and probably several other stock and aftermarket options exist out there. You could do a brand new aftermarket booster/MC combo for CJ's and you can even do hydroboost. All require some minor form of modification to work perfectly but they all work just fine. If you can't weld the rod, you have several other options. You can cut and tap the rod and add a threaded insert in the middle to couple them together, you can modify the pedal in multiple ways, you can change the pedal entirely, you can adequately space out the booster on the firewall to fit, you can drill your pedal and add a custom plate, etc etc.

To help clarify... If you're going to swap the booster, you might as well swap the MC as well. Just change the short lines going to the proportioning valve and you're golden.

post #6 of 30 Old 03-02-2021, 08:21 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I went on Amazon and got one. It was for converting a CJ to power brakes. Comes with an 8 inch dual diaphragm booster. I used a brake pedal rod boot from a CJ as well. I have that and the WJ knuckle and brake swap and I am stopping 37s pretty well and once I do F150 calipers on the back I think on 37s my brakes will be as good as when the jeep was stock
post #7 of 30 Old 03-02-2021, 09:20 AM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I’m wondering why your fighting to find or adapt to a dual booster? When I had 35’s I swapped to a TJ dual and couldn’t see any change from my single. With smaller tires if your stock brakes are having a hard time stopping your jeep you might look at your pads. When I switched to ceramic pads my stopping distance increased a good bit. Ceramic pads have great life and don’t make much dust but I don’t think they stop as well as a quality, aggressive organic or metallic pad.
post #8 of 30 Old 03-02-2021, 09:41 AM
grandboost98

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
x2 what shaggy said. A dual diaphragm booster sounds nice but isn't needed. I still have a stock single booster on mine with a Durango master to match the size of the 1 ton calipers. Stops 40s no problem

89 Wrangler-3.5" HD BDS lift,M.O.R.E HD 5/8" booms on 35" KM2s
99 Cherokee-2 door,5" lift on 35" KM2s
04 Grand Cherokee Overland
72 Chevy Nova-in progress

post #9 of 30 Old 03-02-2021, 12:58 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I run a combo of the above, TJ booster and proportioning valve and a Durango master that stops the monsterous dual piston calipers up front on 37's great.

FWIW, my brake lines connected directly to the TJ prop valve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #10 of 30 Old 03-02-2021, 01:13 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
I’m wondering why your fighting to find or adapt to a dual booster? When I had 35’s I swapped to a TJ dual and couldn’t see any change from my single. With smaller tires if your stock brakes are having a hard time stopping your jeep you might look at your pads. When I switched to ceramic pads my stopping distance increased a good bit. Ceramic pads have great life and don’t make much dust but I don’t think they stop as well as a quality, aggressive organic or metallic pad.
I caught my breath the first time I towed with my new ceramic pads on the ‘89. I only bought them cuz I needed them “right now” and I figured whatever.

Didn’t notice much difference until I hooked up the trailer and the grab was less than the previous 3 years of $10-12 organic pads which had worked fine but only lasted a year or so
shaggyjim likes this.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #11 of 30 Old 03-04-2021, 12:13 PM
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
x2 what shaggy said. A dual diaphragm booster sounds nice but isn't needed. I still have a stock single booster on mine with a Durango master to match the size of the 1 ton calipers. Stops 40s no problem
It might not be "needed" but mine stops significantly better with the TJ booster and master. More importantly for me I don't overdrive the brakes in 4 low. With the old set up I would have a sore leg and a blister on my foot after a day of wheeling. Some day when we end up at Rausch Creek at the same time you can try mine out. I used all used TJ parts that I got for nothing from a Jeep that was on the way to the recycler and just had to modify the rod.
timatoe likes this.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241/HP Dana44/9", Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

post #12 of 30 Old 03-04-2021, 12:40 PM
grandboost98

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
It might not be "needed" but mine stops significantly better with the TJ booster and master. More importantly for me I don't overdrive the brakes in 4 low. With the old set up I would have a sore leg and a blister on my foot after a day of wheeling. Some day when we end up at Rausch Creek at the same time you can try mine out. I used all used TJ parts that I got for nothing from a Jeep that was on the way to the recycler and just had to modify the rod.
I cant say I have ever struggled to stop mine, but that could be the difference between auto and manual. I can lock up my tires in the dirt no problem. Im not against a dual booster, I had considered it because my original single was shot. But after some research I decided to keep it simple and stay with the stock one. I was already in the middle of my 1 ton swap and didn't want another project.

Also, I don't think I could have easily fit a dual in my jeep. As it is, the cap to the master is almost touching the bottom of the hood, maybe 1/4" clearance. A dual booster would have pushed it further forward which with the slope of the hood, would have made contact a lot sooner. I even got the smaller master reservoir but without a body lift, its tight

Ill take you up on your offer, you can try mine out too. Ill be there April 22-25 for Foxxys Ride on the 24th. Would be cool to see another YJ there!
daddyjeep87 likes this.

89 Wrangler-3.5" HD BDS lift,M.O.R.E HD 5/8" booms on 35" KM2s
99 Cherokee-2 door,5" lift on 35" KM2s
04 Grand Cherokee Overland
72 Chevy Nova-in progress

post #13 of 30 Old 03-04-2021, 12:56 PM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

On pavement, my home street as a test, I could not lock my 35's with a single booster unit, even when going downhill. After a swap to a dual booster, I can lock the 35's going uphill. It's in the top 5 or so best mods to my Jeep.
timatoe, jbolty and daddyjeep87 like this.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" Patagonia M/Ts, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA.
Web Admin for

post #14 of 30 Old 03-04-2021, 01:51 PM
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I will chime in as well. I know when i was on 33's there was almost no issue braking with the single diaphragm booster but once I upgraded to 35s my brake system was definitely lacking. I was able to score a 95 dual diaphragm booster from a nearby Junkyard. I used car-part.com to search for a booster, made a call and they actually shipped it to me cheaper than I could drive out and get it. I also got the master too. Very simple swap and upgrade. I also have WJ brakes and dual piston calipers. Search see what is available for a direct swap or utilize a TJ dual diaphragm and make the necessary adjustments to make it fit.

Good luck on your upgrades!

YJOTM: Jan 2021

post #15 of 30 Old 03-05-2021, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
JDNightFox
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So it turns out if I order the 97-06 booster I need the same year master cylinder since the mounting style is different

Tags
brake booster , upgrades

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in