12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 08-26-2015, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Dual Contour fans in YJ

Wanted to make a dedicated thread for this to help with searching the topic. I will also post up this info in the infamous Ford Taurus Wiring Solution (cheap) thread as well.

Background: I have been having cooling issues ever since I redid my 350 exhaust from true dual to a y-pipe crossing under the oil pan. I have installed a champion 3 core radiator and have been running the Volvo 2 speed 16" efan (same as Taurus fan). For normal driving this set up worked fine. During low speed crawling I would get a temperature creep that had led to temps up to 250 degrees. Also highway speeds around 80 it would want to run about 225 degrees. I had no room to swap a thicker radiator so I started looking at the fan.

The factory Volvo shroud I was using has the fan offset. I needed this due to clearance issues with the water pump. I needed either an extremely low profile large fan or two smaller fans. After looking around I came across some CJ and mustang forums discussing the dual contour fans.

Looking over the dimensions of the shroud and depth these looked like they would do the job. The Volvo/Taurus fan is a 16" 2 speed fan. So the surface area the fan covers is 201.6in^2. The contour fans are a dual 12" fan giving them 226.2in^2 of coverage. About 12% more coverage. Off to the junk yard I went and $35 later I had my fans. The Contour or Mercury Mystique fans to look for are from 1995-2000 with the 2.5L V6. The 4 cyl came with single fans and apparently there are some out there with dual fans on separate shrouds (this is not what you want). Supposedly it is obvious when you see it, but I didn't run across any in the junk yard. The only modification needed is to cut the little mounting tabs off the sides. I ended up gaining almost an inch clearance over the Volvo fan set up between my accessories and my fans.

Volvo fan coverage:

Contour fans coverage:

Instead of making my Volvo relay work with this set up (which a CJ forum member has verified to work) I opted to go with the Flex-a-lite Variable Speed Controller FLX-31163. This was a pricey option, but the functionality couldn't be beat. It provides soft start, temperature adjustment, switchable hi/off, 30 second engine off cool down, also a + or - a/c signal which turns fan on a minimum of 60% and higher if needed. It is also compact and clean (Pictured above attached to shroud).

The contour fans are wired from the factory with a resistor for low speed located at the driver side bottom of the shroud. I would suggest grabbing all of the wiring you can if you want to wire this route. Note that from the factory they use a 60A fusible link. The FAL controller is only a 45A capacity, but the fans will never start at 100% so that current capacity is not needed.

Another wiring option that had rave forum reviews across the web is the Delta Current Control (DCC). This offers a full 0-100% control and high current capacity options. The only drawback is that It is a 1 man show and built to order. I have read that lead times have ranged from 2-6 weeks. Also If he decides he is done making them then that's it. No more product support. Here is a link to his site. http://www.dccontrol.com/selector.htm

Here are some other wiring diagrams you may find useful for a different wiring solution.

Factory Diagram:

Another set up:

I after dialing in my temp setting. I stay between 200-210 all the time. So I would report this as a success. I will try and keep this post constantly updated with new information I gather or that may get posted later in the thread so the information can be easy to find.

Updated 8-28-15

NHfireLJ and bruinjeeper like this.

YJUnlimited stretch, Links, SBC, Tons, Lockers, and stuff
March 2017 YJOTM/ 2017 YJOTY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-26-2015, 09:16 AM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice job! Thanks for sharing another option for us e-fan guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.
post #3 of 29 Old 08-26-2015, 10:13 AM
superj

very helpful post. i am running in to the same trouble on my 302 swap

I don't feel like working on anything at this time so i sold my yj.

post #4 of 29 Old 08-26-2015, 10:57 AM
Randonexplosion

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for this! I need to find someone to weld some mounting tabs to my radiator so I can do this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 29 Old 08-26-2015, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Thanks for this! I need to find someone to weld some mounting tabs to my radiator so I can do this.
Funny I was actually reading through your build thread yesterday. I was going to suggest this. Then I saw your radiator doesn't have the tabs on the engine side like the factory ones.

post #6 of 29 Old 08-26-2015, 03:26 PM
Randonexplosion

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87TPIYJ View Post
Funny I was actually reading through your build thread yesterday. I was going to suggest this. Then I saw your radiator doesn't have the tabs on the engine side like the factory ones.
Good looking out

post #7 of 29 Old 08-28-2015, 11:08 AM
cjj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hi, what´s the year and model of ford contour dual fans? Can be used in 4 and 6 cyl?
thanks
post #8 of 29 Old 08-28-2015, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
1995-2000. I will update first post with more info.

Edit: updated 1st post with Model/Year/trim level and another wiring option

Also can be used with any engine combo. Very low profile fans.

post #9 of 29 Old 08-02-2016, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Hey everyones doing it!

Since all of the E-fan threads are popping up or getting resurrected from the dead. I thought why not bump my old one. Still running strong to this day!
bruinjeeper likes this.

post #10 of 29 Old 08-03-2016, 08:00 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

It really is a fantastic write up. Glad to see it worked out (BTW, that fan controller is the ****, have it as well)

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #11 of 29 Old 08-03-2016, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
It really is a fantastic write up. Glad to see it worked out (BTW, that fan controller is the ****, have it as well)
Yes it is, very highly recommend it. Absolutely worth the $. The FAL controller worked seamlessly when I installed my A/C last month. Now when the a/c clutch is engaged the fans turn on.
bruinjeeper likes this.

post #12 of 29 Old 05-21-2018, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Old tech bump since Photobucket released all its hostages.
NHfireLJ and bruinjeeper like this.

post #13 of 29 Old 02-21-2020, 09:15 AM
Mike/Mass

I'm working on a custom installation of the Dual Contour/Cougar fans, figured I'd post some pix that would be helpful to those looking at a retrofit of some kind.

First, here's some shots of the Volvo 2-speed Fan from the mid to late '90's. Supposedly the same motor as the Taurus fan, and the guesstimates I've seen is that this fan is good for 3800-4000 CFM with zero static pressure (free-standing, no radiator). The fan is actually about 15.375" in diameter, roughly 200 square inches of coverage. The protective fan surround is about 16".:

Here's some pix of the Ford Contour/Mercury Cougar V-6 dual 2-speed fan system. I've seen guesstimates all over the place, but the consensus seems to be that its probably around 3800+ CFM with zero static pressure. These fans are about 11.500" in diameter, roughly 225 square inches of coverage. The actual protective fan surround is about 12".

The Ford Contour/Cougar unit is one of the slimmest dual fan setups I've ever come across... It measures about 3-1/4" thick from the shroud leading edge to the motor plate. The fan/hub do protrude in towards the radiator core, with the hub being about 1/4" off the radiator core itself. The fan blades are slightly back from that. I'm working on a dimensioned drawing and will add it when its done.

Here's a shot of the Contour unit mounted to a Jeep radiator.

Here's another picture showing the Contour Dual fans installed in a 461 cubic Inch mild BBC in an El Camino. I've corresponded with the owner and they're doing a very good job in California heat.

I have a OEM 2000 Cougar unit, and a brand-new Spectra unit. From what little research I've done and I have a friend that's a senior Ford tech... he says the OEM stuff most likely used Bosch motors, the aftermarket use a generic Chinese motor. Jim also said most of those Ford built units are good for 200,000 to 300,000 miles at a minimum, he has a very low opinion of the aftermarket stuff. And the shroud sections of the OEM units seem to be better quality molded pieces, the tools were obviously better made, the aftermarket one is a bit rougher. I'm going to try to use the OEM unit, my biggest issue right now is a quick wiring up to test the motors. They came from a Cougar with 120,000 on the speedo which is a little below average. AFAIK there's no NOS complete Contour/Cougar fans laying around to be purchased but you never know. Use Car-Parts.com to do a search for what's available locally, regionally, or nationwide. Good salvage yards will grade their parts and give you some specs on the donor vehicle to include mileage, condition, and price.

Hope this helps having some fresh pix and a little information. Ford doesn't publish specs on their fans, but they are all well known for their power and durability. I had the Lincoln MkVIII in my supercharged SVT Lightning for 12 years and never had an issue, cooling or electrical. That is the beast... probably 5500-6000 CFM.
87TPIYJ likes this.

Last edited by Mike/Mass; 02-21-2020 at 01:00 PM. Reason: added facts
post #14 of 29 Old 02-21-2020, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Thanks for posting up. I need to fix the pics in this thread to help others. Freaking photosuckit!
Mike/Mass likes this.

post #15 of 29 Old 02-22-2020, 01:19 PM
Mike/Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87TPIYJ View Post
Thanks for posting up. I need to fix the pics in this thread to help others. Freaking photosuckit!
Switch over to IMGUR, that's what I did. I still have to download and archive hundreds of pix that are still on Photobucket.

I drew up a crude wiring layout for the OEM loom... I'm guessing on the power and relay connections, please suggest any corrections. Found it interesting that Fan #1 Green/Orange winds up having a triple heat-shrink joint, all three (3) wires are #10 gauge. The two (2) Black wires that were connected to the Resistor Plug also have a heat-shrinked joint with one #10 gauge and one #12 gauge.

Last edited by Mike/Mass; 02-22-2020 at 11:34 PM. Reason: added pix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in