• 1 Post By jmart2119
  • 3 Post By JeeperDon
  • 1 Post By Awesome

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-29-2020, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Driver door stuck closed

So I had to run to the store to grab some milk, left all was well get to the store and the door won't open from the inside. I tried to roll down the window a bit and get my arm out, which was useless because the front part of my cage keeps the crank from moving more than 1/2 turn before it hits the down tube.

Anyhow crawled out the other side and tried from outside, same thing. It's acting as though the door is locked, as in there's no pressure on either the inside or outside handle, yet I tried the key and it also turns super easy.

I'm sure I can figure out the problem if I can get the door open and the panel off.

I guess my real dilemma is how to get the door open? The inner door panel is right against the seat and only about 1/4" from that front down tube of the cage.

Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-29-2020, 04:07 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You can still get the inner door lining panel out.

This happened to me.

Pop the pins... carefully not to bend the particle board inside and damage it. Then slide it down to get it off the track of course after removing the window roller and inner door pull handle.

Then you will have access to the door latch panel. Unscrew it. And then you will have access to the rods... push forward to unlatch the door... then it will open and you can see what's going on.

My guess your outer handle is worn. And the threaded rods have pulled through their capture nuts. So u cant produce enough tension to get it to open.

I literally had to do this before winter when reinstalling my hard doors. Once I got it open I freshened up everything in there.

The tolerances with the door stuck shut are what they are... but you can certainly work the panel off. Flip the seat forward to get to the panel push pins closer to the B pillar. Then push the seat back into place to access the front push pins.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #3 of 15 Old 03-29-2020, 04:07 PM
ThomasYJ

1993 YJ Wrangler 

@timatoe Are you able to get the latch/lock mechanism off from inside? I think it just unscrews, right? I had a similar issue as this years ago. The metal rods inside detached from the plastic clips. You can cycle the latch that way. HTH

The Toy:93 YJ
The DD:00 F250 7.3
Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old 03-29-2020, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, so.....

The door panel was a casualty of war... I was able to get the back and most of the bottom popped loose but the front, there was just no way it was coming out with the down tube of the cage there, so brute force it was.

The cover panel over the latch: I could get the screws on the main panel side but the bottom one on the outer door edge was blocked by the door frame. Also that panel wraps around the pin so it wouldn't have come off anyhow.

So I was able to (after destroying the panel) get the driver seat flipped forward and contort myself over the center console and behind the front seat into the floor enough to reach up in there and grab the push rod and it popped open. That must've been a sight to see to see a 6'1" fat guy stuffed back there.

Anyhow the only thing wrong was the little plastic clip that holds the rod in the inside door handle broke and the rod popped out of the hole. Oddly enough with that completely disconnected I was able to close the claw latch and open it from the outside handle, no idea why it wouldn't do it before.

So it's fixed, crisis averted.

On a related note; the panels I have on there were cheap and I put them on about 6 years ago and they were roughly $50 for the set, now they're about $50 ea. Anyone ever use these ABS panels?

Quote:
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-30-2020, 02:26 PM
jmart2119
One Nation, Under God

1989 YJ Wrangler 

This guy was making these for awhile. Looking at his eBay page, it looks like he stopped production but still has a few left. They have a removable access panel so that you don't have to mess with that scenario if it ever happens again.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wet-Willy-W...8AAOSwXMZaf3LP
bruinjeeper likes this.

2018 YJ of the Year
YJOTM | Aug'15 | Dec'16 | Jan'18

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1989 YJ - 98 5.7L Vortec, 4L60E, NP241, D30+8.8, 5.13's, 35" ProComp MT2's
post #6 of 15 Old 03-30-2020, 02:57 PM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Jeeps have doors?

I've had my winter hard doors apart a zillion times in the 24 years I've owned the Jeep. I manage to get things working well enough, with a hit of WD-40 on occasion, to get me through the few months they are there. It's such a joy in March to get all that crap off the rig again.
timatoe, Awesome and bruinjeeper like this.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

post #7 of 15 Old 03-30-2020, 07:07 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I guess you got lucky that you have the driver's flip front seat riser.

For next time, just unscrew the hinges. Then you can get the door panel off easily without destroying it.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-30-2020, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hadn't considered undoing the hinges, I could've done that and pulled the latch pin and bingo bango.

Yeah I wish I was pulling the doors for the season but we went from 80* three weeks ago to highs in the 40's and snow the last two weeks.

Quote:
post #9 of 15 Old 03-30-2020, 09:14 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well, if I'd seen this yesterday I would have suggested going to your local autowhatever and pick up an upholstery pry tool. Under 10 bucks. And when you bought the plastic POS part that 99% of the time is the part broken... pick up 2 for when the other door breaks.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #10 of 15 Old 03-31-2020, 07:22 AM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

When mine was buggered like that and I had to pull the panel with the door still closed, I left the panel off for a week just to be sure my fix was really a fix. The Jeep drives fine with the panel off .

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

post #11 of 15 Old 04-01-2020, 09:13 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yes it does drive fine without the panels &#x1f642;
Attached Thumbnails
image_1585753966904.jpg  

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #12 of 15 Old 04-01-2020, 10:53 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
Yes it does drive fine without the panels &#x1f642;
Needs some grease. Unless you're using that hitech silicone or teflon spray on stuff

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #13 of 15 Old 04-02-2020, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Well, if I'd seen this yesterday I would have suggested going to your local autowhatever and pick up an upholstery pry tool. Under 10 bucks. And when you bought the plastic POS part that 99% of the time is the part broken... pick up 2 for when the other door breaks.
I have a whole set of those pry tools. The problem is / was that the front edge of the door panel will not physically come away from the door due to the front drop leg of the cage. The panel nearly rests against the leg, no room for the stud part of the retainer to come out of the door.

It's all good now, I'll drive with no panel for however long it takes for the boss to let me buy new ones. If I complain enough it won't be too long.

Quote:
post #14 of 15 Old 04-02-2020, 10:58 AM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
...however long it takes for the boss to let me buy new ones. If I complain enough it won't be too long.
I've been complaining about not having a suppressor or two for two years now. Hasn't worked yet.
timatoe likes this.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-03-2020, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in