Drive shaft question - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 01-29-2020, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Wookiedave

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Drive shaft question

So I swapped out my original rear end with a Ford 8.8 and the previous owner of the Ford had drilled 3 holes in the spring perch so he could adjust the position of the rear end. I had it set on the very front hole to see how that ran and it placed the axle too far back and I was hitting the skid plate on the fuel tank sometimes. I moved it forward to the center hole and now my drive shaft is way too long and there is no room for it to slide in. My question is this: How much travel should there be in the shaft? I am having it shortened and re-balanced and I am sure they will ask me how much I need removed so I wanted to have an idea from some folks here.

Attached Thumbnails
2020-01-29 18.27.14.jpg   2020-01-29 18.26.51.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-29-2020, 09:21 PM
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Have you considered using the middle hole on the spring perch has n conjunction with degree shins so you don’t have to shorten the driveshaft? Degree shims will correct the pinion angle. Also consider installing a motor mount lift to further improve the driveshaft angle.
post #3 of 24 Old 01-29-2020, 10:19 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I am in the center hole and have about 2" of spline showing on the driveshaft.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 Old 01-29-2020, 10:43 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think I am at a happy spot slip wise.
Attached Thumbnails
20190104_205846_1580359367479.jpg  

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #5 of 24 Old 01-30-2020, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Wookiedave

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Doctor View Post
Have you considered using the middle hole on the spring perch has n conjunction with degree shins so you don’t have to shorten the driveshaft? Degree shims will correct the pinion angle. Also consider installing a motor mount lift to further improve the driveshaft angle.
I have it in the center hole in the pics on my first post, that's what made it so short. I am also going to put the shims back in, when I had it set using the front hole with the shims it rode nice and smooth, just hit the fuel tank skid plate too much. The other issue is the previous owner installed this crazy differential cover that is super heavy duty, I was thinking about switching that out to try and gain some more clearance with the tank.

Thanks for the replies, they are very helpful.
post #6 of 24 Old 01-30-2020, 06:46 AM
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You could always try to clearance the gas tank skid. Don't need much. Here's how I did mine. starting at Post #57.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...66/index2.html
Some of the pics are still fookackta, thanks photobucket, but the gist is there.

Fight Crime...Shoot Back

Friends don't let friends roll over without a negative-G strap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 24 Old 01-30-2020, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Wookiedave

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feetwet View Post
You could always try to clearance the gas tank skid. Don't need much. Here's how I did mine. starting at Post #57.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...66/index2.html
Some of the pics are still fookackta, thanks photobucket, but the gist is there.
I remember reading your thread as I was getting ready to do the 8.8 swap so the skid plate modification has been in the back of my mind, I've just been stubborn on doing that. I may need a new sending unit soon so I was trying to wait until that happened to try and tackle the skid plate.
post #8 of 24 Old 01-30-2020, 11:34 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookiedave View Post
I have it in the center hole in the pics on my first post, that's what made it so short. I am also going to put the shims back in, when I had it set using the front hole with the shims it rode nice and smooth, just hit the fuel tank skid plate too much. The other issue is the previous owner installed this crazy differential cover that is super heavy duty, I was thinking about switching that out to try and gain some more clearance with the tank.

Thanks for the replies, they are very helpful.
I have the ruff stuff cover which is about 1/2" thick. that and the gas tank skid argued for a few months but the cover finally won.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #9 of 24 Old 01-30-2020, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Wookiedave

1993 YJ Wrangler 

This is what I have it on it currently. It's pretty beefy. And yes, I realize that's a zip tie holding that brake line on, it's getting fixed next.
Attached Thumbnails
2020-01-30 20.51.07.jpg   2020-01-30 20.51.14.jpg  
post #10 of 24 Old 01-30-2020, 08:27 PM
TSEJEEPERS

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have always just measured from the middle of the rear end U joint, and the middle of the transfer case U joint and gave that measurement to the drive shaft shop. They should know how much to shorten it.
https://4xshaft.com/blogs/jeep-drive...es/yj-wrangler
timatoe likes this.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
post #11 of 24 Old 01-30-2020, 08:29 PM
jcourt667

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I'm at around 1.5" at rest. My thoughts were, when determining the length that the shaft, that the shaft would slip further on droop than full suspension compression.
Attached Thumbnails
20140921_203122.jpg  

94 Sahara YJ 4.0L HO. 260k miles!
post #12 of 24 Old 01-30-2020, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Wookiedave

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The guy at the driveshaft shop recommended shortening is by 1.5”, we’ll see how if fits when I get it back tomorrow.
bruinjeeper likes this.
post #13 of 24 Old 01-30-2020, 09:28 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, even with the axle moved back 1" I'd have been scared to drive that. A blown transfer case is just waiting to happen there.

Looks like a RuffStuff diff cover. It's good. I wouldn't get rid of it. Your tubes have been welded as well, which is a good thing.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #14 of 24 Old 01-31-2020, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Wookiedave

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Looks like a RuffStuff diff cover. It's good. I wouldn't get rid of it. Your tubes have been welded as well, which is a good thing.
I got both my axles from a guy who works at a shop here around Atlanta. He was changing them out to put Rubicon axles under his YJ so I feel confident that he had the axles set up correctly.
post #15 of 24 Old 02-01-2020, 05:52 PM
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookiedave View Post
I remember reading your thread as I was getting ready to do the 8.8 swap so the skid plate modification has been in the back of my mind, I've just been stubborn on doing that. I may need a new sending unit soon so I was trying to wait until that happened to try and tackle the skid plate.

Thanks for that. Looks like you were successful.

Re the Skid/Diff battle, if you wait long enough, JBolty's solution will eventually work for you, too, if you don't grenade that TC first.

Fight Crime...Shoot Back

Friends don't let friends roll over without a negative-G strap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in