!!!do not trust stick probes for fan controllers!!! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-03-2011, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
jayvando707

1991 YJ Wrangler 

!!!do not trust stick probes for fan controllers!!!

Got rid of fan / fan clutch assembly not to long ago in favor of a 16'' Hayden electric fan with a Hayden fan cotroller (probe style)....

Everything was fine and dandy till the freaking probe (with the vibes) worked itself a large hole (fins, not cores)!!! The probe no longer was getting a proper reading and therfore my YJ pegged the temp gauge.... Luckily the engine didnt go... like a dummy... i never wired the bypass switch that allows me to turn the fan on at the flick of a switch (slow crawls)... Just have to run ONE wire...

Moral here is DO NOT USE PROBE STYLE FAN CONTROLLERS... i went back to the auto store and purchased Hayden's fan controller that gets its temp reading with an actual temp sensor (actual water temp since the sensor touches the water).

Ive seen it online somewhere where someone added a black pipe "T" to the stock temp sensor location in an attmept to add the fan controller sensor. Darn thing was nearly 6'' long and water (heat) never stimulated either sensor.

I used a similar technique ("T" method) only, in my case, i used a much shorter BRASS "T" and the new set up work perfectly! I will post pictures tonight when i get home. I finished th install right before having to clock in at work...

This is kind of a pointless thread.... more like a heads up for those wanting to go this route... i know now why most people rag the PROBE style themo switches...

It is better to be tried by 12 than to be carried out by 6....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-03-2011, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
jayvando707

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Here are the final pics along with a pic showing just how far the STOCK sensor is pulled away from the original location... everything works flawlessly now and whats best is that now i don't have to worry about getting a false reading!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Final Take.jpg   Pretty good length.jpg  

post #3 of 12 Old 03-03-2011, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
jayvando707

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Here is the picture of what can occur with PROBE THERMO SWITCHES...

Also included a picture of WHAT NOT TO DO!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Probe Failure.jpg   ******* ****.jpg  

post #4 of 12 Old 03-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Douglas S.

You can also buy a thermostat housing that has two threaded holes in it from Hesco if you want to go another route.

1991 Land Cruiser HDJ81

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-03-2011, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
jayvando707

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas S. View Post
You can also buy a thermostat housing that has two threaded holes in it from Hesco if you want to go another route.
No Siht?! Wow! Before my brass "T" idea... i thought about drilling and tapping a new hole in the existing housing! Thanks for the info!!! Im sure this will benefit someone!

post #6 of 12 Old 03-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've installed several of the Hesco housings. I use the larger 1/4" size threaded hole (your choices are 1/8" & 1/4" NPT) and install a 90* degree elbow so that the auxiliary sender points the same direction as the PCM temp sensor. This will prevent the wires from hanging out around the belt and/or get caught in the mechanical fan for folks who are still using one.

Also, the Hesco unit is a high flow housing, and it can move a LOT more coolant. Expect to see much cooler engine temps.

Max

Sent from my HTC Incredible Droid

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-21-2011, 12:18 PM
95greenrio
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Are the temp sensor threads 3/8"?

1995 YJ Rio Grand - work in progress
post #8 of 12 Old 03-21-2011, 12:34 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I have a stick probe and when I installed it I made the hole a little oversized and packed it with JB weld. No problems after 3 years.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #9 of 12 Old 03-21-2011, 03:12 PM
jeepster93

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I have a stick probe and when I installed it I made the hole a little oversized and packed it with JB weld. No problems after 3 years.
Did the same thing.
Issue free for years.
The instructions that came with my controller stated the need for this.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Castr8r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

x3 on the JB Weld; works great for 4+ years...

I've been throwed out of a carwash- too much mud!

I've done bodywork useing a winch, a tree, a prybar, and a BFH!

Now, my wild oats have turned to prune juice and all-bran...
post #11 of 12 Old 03-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Krochus
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Any pics of the Jb weld attachment?

I've got my new fan control in hand that I'll be installing tomorrow. To be honest I'm leery of the probe style too. But for the price and the ability to run on the + side of the relay they're quite appealing.

I'm going to work a solution to prevent what happened to the OP from happening to me. In that I'm gonna wire in a backup alarm grounded through a 80's dodge idiot light sender. That way the alarm will sound if I forget to turn my fan back on after a crossing or to warn me of any other cooling failure that might occur during the 99.998% I'm not watching my temp gauge
posted via IPhone.

Think Green recycle your YJ's sway and trac bars today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
post #12 of 12 Old 03-22-2011, 10:29 PM
TA-YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Been running my probe sensor for almost a year now and its stuck in there really well. I would prefer a sensor though. If mine ever works loose, Ill definitely go this route.

1992 YJ 2.5L
Engine Mods:4.0L TB, Ford Design III 19lb Injectors, Firepower Ignition System, Ford TBird Electric Fan, Pacesetter Header, Magnaflow Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo Exhaust
Suspension Mods:BDS 2" Lift, M.O.R.E. 5/8" HD Shackles, 1" Brown Dog MML
Other:LED Tails and Herculined

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in