Do i need door hinge inserts? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 09-18-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Do i need door hinge inserts?

Ok. So fall is blowing in and i have picked up a new hardtop i am currently refurbing - again. I havent used my full doors in 3 winters. Other than some internal refurbing i will be doing and expectedly so, my passenger side seems to be off, hanging low tilted down towards the rear. They were stored pretty neatly and haven't moved in those 3 years. I had never messed with the hinges as these are the original doors to my jeep. They fit perfectly when last removed.

These leaves me to thinking something is off with the female end of the hinge attached to the jeep body. Eye test says they are straight - but it isn't scientific. I know that in those three years the inserts within the hinge have deteriorated as i have sporadically and routinely ripped a piece out and tossed it when removing or installing the half doors.

Could the hinge inserts make up this difference and level out the door? I find that hard to believe - but maybe? Anyone have any idea? SHould i just pick some up off amazon and see? it is definitely an incongruency with the top female hinge at the tub that is causing this lean.

I should note that my half doors are improperly adjusted to that side and i really do have to twist them in there (along with this hard door now apparently) where as in the driver's side, they drop right in. Perhaps the top one is tweaked and could use some finesse shots with a hammer in conjunction with door hinge inserts?

Attached Thumbnails
20190918_221049.jpg   20190918_221108.jpg   20190918_221112.jpg   20190918_221141.jpg  

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-18-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

looking at them in the pictures, perhaps they could both use a few finesse wacks with a BFH at the upper end beating it gently towards the front of the vehicle. Now on the topic of door hinge nserts - i just assumed they were a throw away type deal. SOmethng aftermarket still made to make a few bucks here and there off OCD YJ owners who need everything perfect. Does anybody actually run them and replace them after wear and tear? Should i pick them up or are they pointless for the most part?

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #3 of 17 Old 09-18-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

my thought on it is, if they are straight (i'll measure tomorrow). The swivelling required to get my half doors in may have worn the inside of the hole out unevenly so the door pins sit awkwardly within the hole providing this lean. Hinge insert/bushings,would probably help with this.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~

post #4 of 17 Old 09-18-2019, 09:01 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't read every word in your three posts, but my pins and inserts are OE. Had no idea they were a replaceable part.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-18-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

mine are deteriorated... some of the inside as well, and the top 'mushroom' section of it which should sit on the rim and actually get sandwched between both mating surfaces of the hinges are actually non-existant. i suppose these couldn't hurt.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #6 of 17 Old 09-18-2019, 09:15 PM
jmart2119
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Loosen all the hinge bolts, door and body, shut the door and get it right where you want it to be and tighten the bolts.

I have to do this every time I switch from my half doors to my full doors.

2018 YJ of the Year
YJOTM | Aug'15 | Dec'16 | Jan'18

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1989 YJ - 98 5.7L Vortec, 4L60E, NP241, D30+8.8, 5.13's, 35" ProComp MT2's
post #7 of 17 Old 09-18-2019, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

so what you're saying is these hinge liners are pointless?

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #8 of 17 Old 09-18-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

seems to address alignment issues, i'll look into it tomorrow evening - but i think i have wallowed out the body hinge unevenly. I'll know more tomorrow.

Keep the info coming gents!

i may just go full bore and really refurb these doors. They look like they need some love. Interior panels are good for the garbage - internal linkages need to be inspected, some sound deadener couldn't hurt, the passenger side outer seal looks like a racoon has been biting at it in spots, etc etc.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #9 of 17 Old 09-18-2019, 09:54 PM
jmart2119
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
so what you're saying is these hinge liners are pointless?

I canít tell you whether they are pointless or not but Iíve never had them on my Jeep, ever. Lol

2018 YJ of the Year
YJOTM | Aug'15 | Dec'16 | Jan'18

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1989 YJ - 98 5.7L Vortec, 4L60E, NP241, D30+8.8, 5.13's, 35" ProComp MT2's
post #10 of 17 Old 09-19-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Meh. 23$ total for the two doors. Ordered new panels for the Interior too. Just gonna do it all up. They havent received any love since 1995

I will follow up on this to display if the 'bushings' did anything to close that gap and level out the door any just in case someone was curious.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #11 of 17 Old 09-19-2019, 11:30 AM
letitloose06

1992 YJ Wrangler 

The door alignment in the opening doesn't look all that bad. It looks more like the windshield angle is off a bit though. Has the windshield frame been folded down or replaced since the doors were last on the Jeep? Have the door strikers been removed at all in the last few years?

I'd take a quick measurement on the windshield angle. It should measure 75-1/8" with the tape measure hooked to the top edge of the windshield to the back of the tub. (taken from page 3 of the Supertop installation manual https://assets.bestop.com/files/_bes...9/51599_is.pdf)

1992 YJ 4.0L, AX-15, 4" RE Standard Lift, 35x12.5R15 Maxxis Bighorn MT's, Grizzly Locked 8.8 Rear, HP44 with Spartan, 4.10's, Smittybilt Armor, JCR Off road Stage 2 Front Bumper, Custom Rear Bumper

1966 M416 1/4 Ton Cargo Trailer --
post #12 of 17 Old 09-19-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Drivers side door is perfect fit...door also slides and drops right in. Windshield has not been folded down in that time.

I have to leverage the half door downward to close it sometimes. I think doing that enough time has wallowed the hinge hole out a bit unevenly.

Fairly certain this is goin to fix my issue, and if required some love taps with a BFH in the right spots.

Hinges on the full doors and the jeep body have never been toyed with at all

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #13 of 17 Old 09-19-2019, 11:48 AM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't know the inserts fit a YJ. I thought they were for later models.

How do you use them? My pins fit the hinges so snug that I have to wiggle the door as I lower them in place or pull them off. I would have to drill out the hinge to make an insert fit. I've even thought about rubbing a little grease on there, but figured there wasn't any point. They don't squeak.

Bill
Jeepers drive high!
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2.5" lift + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #14 of 17 Old 09-19-2019, 12:25 PM
letitloose06

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post

How do you use them? My pins fit the hinges so snug that I have to wiggle the door as I lower them in place or pull them off. I would have to drill out the hinge to make an insert fit. I've even thought about rubbing a little grease on there, but figured there wasn't any point. They don't squeak.
The factory hinges had the inserts. Usually over time the top section wears away and only the inner part remains. That would need to be removed in order to install the new inserts.

1992 YJ 4.0L, AX-15, 4" RE Standard Lift, 35x12.5R15 Maxxis Bighorn MT's, Grizzly Locked 8.8 Rear, HP44 with Spartan, 4.10's, Smittybilt Armor, JCR Off road Stage 2 Front Bumper, Custom Rear Bumper

1966 M416 1/4 Ton Cargo Trailer --
post #15 of 17 Old 09-19-2019, 12:33 PM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post

Look closely. You have the inserts thats why your hinges are snug and quite. They arent something you will see at a glance unless your jeep is white. The top part may be covered by paint if your jeep as been painted as well. But they are there. Your doors will fit pretty loosely without them

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in