DIY - Custom Tools - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Feetwet

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-25-2019, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Flyer58

1992 YJ Wrangler 

DIY - Custom Tools

I'm wondering if anyone here has made any custom tools or items to help when working on your Jeep.

I'm preparing to remove the 2.5L engine and the Chilton manual says to "attach the shop crane to the lifting eyes on the engine" Well mine didn't come with lifting eyes so I made these out of simple angle iron and will attach them to the rear head studs and forward alternator bracket mounting points on the block. Then bolt on the leveling arm to these brackets.

So are there any other homemade tools out there?

Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails
1st2.jpg   1st1.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-25-2019, 05:04 AM
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nice!
There's always the Threaded Rod Passenger Axle Seal tool. Everyone should have assembled one by now...
Awesome likes this.

Fight Crime...Shoot Back

Friends don't let friends roll over without a negative-G strap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old 08-25-2019, 07:51 AM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just hooked my leveling arm to existing bolts around the head. There are plenty of options. Your first picture looks good but the second is going to put some weird bending on that bolt. It's probably not a huge deal considering these engines aren't super heavy but just make sure you've got a good bolt in there instead of some grade 3 bolt.

I pulled the LS engine out of the truck with ropes wrapped around the exhaust manifolds and those manifolds are held on by 6 - 10mm bolts. Was a little sketchy in my mind but all the head bolts were caked in mud so I didn't know they existed at first and couldn't find another option.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-30-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Flyer58

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well that didn't work so well. The block coolant drain plug is frozen and didn't give up to my 8mm square drive. Not even with heat and oil.
I'll buy one tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
1tool.jpg  
post #5 of 6 Old 08-31-2019, 09:37 AM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I made a custom pinion yoke puller for my AAM 11.5" in the Dodge. That thing was in there so tight my air impact barely busted it free, even after making the puller.

Threaded rod for axle seals: check.

I've tried making nutsert setters, but the bolt always breaks. I bought a real tool for that and it works much mo' betta'.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-01-2019, 07:03 AM
1project2many
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Flyer58, good job on the square driver. You might find that making one from a quality 3/8" drive extension produces a more robust bit.

Often, the easiest way to remove frozen pipe plugs is to heat them until red then let them cool. They usually unscrew very easily after that.

I have been known to use a chain and hammer in please of a threaded puller. Use bolts to attach the chain on opposing sides of the component to be pulled then hook the hammer head inside the chain. Bumping the chain can then loosen the item. I first did this with transmission front pumps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in