DIY Bumper with bike rack—-comments please - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 02-09-2020, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
woodscavenger
1989 YJ Wrangler 

DIY Bumper with bike rack—-comments please

Closer to completion of my bumper/bike rack. Need to finalize the actual bike—->rack mount system, a few more finish welds, some minor grinding, sanding then paint. Should be able to easily. Carry 3-4 bikes.

Found some great steel at the local scrapyard (3x3 tubing, 2x3, 2x2) . Spent time with my boy designing the bumper and troubleshooting how it will work. As you can see the rack bars are held in place with hitch type pins in a collapsed position. Pull the pins, insert into the bumper and re-pin with 2 pins/side and you are done. Removing the bars also opens access to the recieved hitch (only meant for light duty). The bars easily stored in the jeep or on the trailer.

The bars (2”x2’) slide into a cut opening in the 3x3 tube bumper. A pin goes through the entire bumper and bar then a second. Pin goes through the flanges and bar for lateral stability.

Spare tire is sitting on a large plate steel extension to lift it above the bumper.

Attached Thumbnails
175654C7-FA27-4C79-8474-FAED5947FBDA.jpg   10E42EC3-92DA-4991-948E-E5A0991CFF59.jpg   2D55584E-B2E4-4A1A-B727-130B9ECA1F27.jpg  
87TPIYJ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-09-2020, 07:52 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

really cool project.

Look forward to the finished product. Am i missing something? how will they mount at the top/handle bars? just a simple bungee to the spare?

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 Old 02-09-2020, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
woodscavenger
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Working on ideas for that. Have a couple in mind. Not sure yet since there are so many different bike sizes and top bars. Likely to be a simple bar that mount to the spokes of the spare with bunnies to the bike top bars.

post #4 of 26 Old 02-09-2020, 08:42 PM
GTS225

I might suggest you work up something for taillights at the ends of those lower swing-out arms. The camera angle makes it look like they extend about 4 feet, which means some non-driving phone addict not paying attention could easily run into them.

Roger
post #5 of 26 Old 02-09-2020, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
woodscavenger
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My boy and I talked about that. At the least we will put red flags like you do when hauling lumber
post #6 of 26 Old 02-09-2020, 09:31 PM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Interesting idea. What are you using to hold the wheels down? Almost looks like u bolts but hopefully that's not what you're using.

I think for 1 or 2 bikes, it'd be easy enough to hold them in place with the spare tire and run a thick pad between the bikes so they don't rub each other. More than that and you're either gonna need a support brace or something else. You could add a couple vertical bars on the horizontals to hold the frames in place but I think it'd need to be detached for storage. Maybe even drill and tap it so you can drop a big bolt down through the horizontal tube and secure it with a quick T handle.

post #7 of 26 Old 02-10-2020, 06:05 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Interesting idea. Your fab work is impressive. Waiting to see how it turns out.

I do agree. It needs lights. I live in a non intrusive state as far as inspections but having stuff hang more than 3' off the rear of a vehicle has to have at least a red flag. Why trust a flag on something you have come that far with. Why trust a flag at night? There are very small diameter lights that guys use for side markers and stuff on flat fendered Jeeps, etc. They could easily fit in the end of your bars. I installed them on my sons Jeep but he purchased them so I do not know where he got them. They should be easy enough to find. A recent thread showed them to pass an inspection so I am trusting that somebody else will chime in with a source of where to buy them.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #8 of 26 Old 02-10-2020, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
woodscavenger
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Not U-bolts. Used bungies initially just to check for fit and how well the thing took the weight of the bikes. Will likely fab some metal wheel holders that will be held with. Pins on the rack. Much like a U-channel of steel in a partial arc shape to cradle the wheel. One per bike should limit the side to side travel of the bikes.
93YJfalcon likes this.
post #9 of 26 Old 02-10-2020, 08:26 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

man, by your nickname/alias/handle (whatever the kids are calling it these days) i would have thought you were a carpenter, but it is some damn clean fab work going on there.

The LED lights suggested above would be fantastic... As they are removable arms, utilizing contact points for electrical continuity would be absolutely amazing to watch being put together. Again, i seem to want to suggest things here like it's a 'choose your own destiny' show and watch it unfold.

....flags will do.

post #10 of 26 Old 02-10-2020, 09:36 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
... utilizing contact points for electrical continuity would be absolutely amazing to watch being put together....
That isn't possible. It'd be a dead short.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #11 of 26 Old 02-11-2020, 06:53 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Quote:
... utilizing contact points for electrical continuity would be absolutely amazing to watch being put together....
Even with a plug and play harness made to plug into a modified rear tail light connector? Is it the materials? No way to insulate?

Explain plz. I like getting educated on wiring.

Edit: of course through PM, dont want to muddy this thread up

post #12 of 26 Old 02-11-2020, 06:08 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
No it is not. Introduce some old school horn button technology or some newer air bag radio button, cruise control type of clock spring technology and you are off to the races.

Granted, the package at the pivots is small for such ideas but it can be done. Even a NASCAR or drag racing style coil cord that goes to steering wheels for Nitrous or other controls. It is very doable.

post #13 of 26 Old 02-11-2020, 07:47 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
No it is not. Introduce some old school horn button technology or some newer air bag radio button, cruise control type of clock spring technology and you are off to the races.

Granted, the package at the pivots is small for such ideas but it can be done. Even a NASCAR or drag racing style coil cord that goes to steering wheels for Nitrous or other controls. It is very doable.
I don't think you get what Bruin meant.

I'll send you a PM Bruin.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #14 of 26 Old 02-11-2020, 08:38 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't think you get what Bruin meant.

I'll send you a PM Bruin.
like how the 1994-95 model YJ's third brake light push contact with the tailgate door works. When open - no continuity. Close it, the contact points hit and power continuity.

Let me dream guys! lol
Attached Thumbnails
48A52404-6062-436C-82FB-C54E0B87FA25.jpg  
Attached Images

post #15 of 26 Old 02-12-2020, 05:39 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
like how the 1994-95 model YJ's third brake light push contact with the tailgate door works. When open - no continuity. Close it, the contact points hit and power continuity.

Let me dream guys! lol
Now that is what I am talking...... No dead short there. OMG. The gears just started churning. It is doable.
Awesome likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in