Determining lift height - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 09-24-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Roc419

Garage
Determining lift height

Hello all, Iím new here and have a question about an existing suspension lift. The previous owner lifted it 5 inches and I wanted to determine the correct rear leaf spring size for replacement. The rear boomerang shackle is 8Ē hole to hole so I figured that was giving it 2 inches. Would that mean the leaf spring should have a 3 inch lift? Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-24-2019, 01:36 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Do not usually come in at an advertised 3" with leafs.

Potentially 3.5" or 2.5" then a 4".

2" shackle lift eh? Yikes. Show us some more photos. If your driveshaft angles, your axles, yournfront suspension setup.

We can guide you better that way.

Looks like ya got an 8.8 under there. That's good news. But you are missing a bolt in your rear corner body mount shown in the photo. I'd go around and make sure there aren't any others either snapped or missing

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #3 of 23 Old 09-24-2019, 01:39 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Also just show us different angles photos of the jeep stance. Much can be determined by those...

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~

post #4 of 23 Old 09-24-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Roc419

Garage
Ok thanks for noticing the bolt 👍🏻. Yes it is a Ford 8.8. No shims, and looks like the big shackles pitch that pinion up hereís some pics. It drives very smooth. Wheels nice, not much articulation of course but goes up anything Iíve tried. No wobble, no trac bar, some intermittent vibration over 60mph,
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

ďThatís just like your opinion, man.Ē -The Dude
post #5 of 23 Old 09-24-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Roc419

Garage
Front setup
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

post #6 of 23 Old 09-24-2019, 05:21 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

looks like a Black Diamond 3.5" lift springs (superlift). They usually wrap the frame end side of the spring in military and leave the shackle end without the wrap and use roller pins. Not a bad spring - i have ridden in a YJ with them. Pinion seems setup alright (but those shackles are helping it, so unless you want to re-work the spring perches, leave as is)

Look into Black Diamond 3.5" springs. Any numbers or scribings on the springs themselves anywhere that you can tell?

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #7 of 23 Old 09-24-2019, 07:53 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

did some researching and really do think those are Black Diamond springs or Rubicon Express. They were both one of my finalists for when i redid my suspension - i ended up going another route.

any photos of the jeep's stance. from a little further back. Just to see the overall picture?

Again, looking for markings or stampings on the springs (usually located by the axle on top of the spring) would help

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #8 of 23 Old 09-25-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Roc419

Garage
Iíll look for markings. Hereís a pic of the stance. Maybe a little high in the front. Iíll get a pavement one
Attached Thumbnails
5881416C-CD8E-498D-B91E-B88896B5449F.jpg  

post #9 of 23 Old 09-25-2019, 10:54 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc419 View Post
I’ll look for markings. Here’s a pic of the stance. Maybe a little high in the front. I’ll get a pavement one
Hard top weight is certainly helping the rake to the rear.

But it still shouldn't account for that amount of rake

It seems from your pics that your front leaf packs are 5 leafs. And your rears are 4? Is that true or just the image? If that is true... that would also contribute to the rear rake.

Might also want to make sure the rear tire PSI arent 10 PSI lower than your front tires.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #10 of 23 Old 09-25-2019, 11:11 AM
letitloose06

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok thanks for noticing the bolt ����. Yes it is a Ford 8.8. No shims, and looks like the big shackles pitch that pinion up here’s some pics. It drives very smooth. Wheels nice, not much articulation of course but goes up anything I’ve tried. No wobble, no trac bar, some intermittent vibration over 60mph,
Looks like your rear driveshaft is a bit too long. There isn't much room for suspension compression based on the exposed slip joint at ride height.

1992 YJ 4.0L, AX-15, 4" RE Standard Lift, 35x12.5R15 Maxxis Bighorn MT's, Grizzly Locked 8.8 Rear, HP44 with Spartan, 4.10's, Smittybilt Armor, JCR Off road Stage 2 Front Bumper, Custom Rear Bumper

1966 M416 1/4 Ton Cargo Trailer --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1951 CJ3A Restomod Project
post #11 of 23 Old 09-25-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Roc419

Garage
Yes they are set up 4 rear and 5 in the front. I cracked a chunk off of the rear right lowest spring on a rock and that is why I thought it might be a good time to replace the rear springs together and try and level it off. Thatís why I was asking about determining the true height Iím working with.

post #12 of 23 Old 09-25-2019, 11:18 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

With no markings... you wont know.

Without doing the math. I would also take that hardtop off to get a true height on the rear end.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #13 of 23 Old 09-25-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Roc419

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by letitloose06 View Post
Looks like your rear driveshaft is a bit too long. There isn't much room for suspension compression based on the exposed slip joint at ride height.
How much shorter would you go ?

post #14 of 23 Old 09-25-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Roc419

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
With no markings... you wont know.

Without doing the math. I would also take that hardtop off to get a true height on the rear end.
Cool, will do. Iíll try and get in there with a mirror to see about markings. Appreciate the advice 👍🏻

post #15 of 23 Old 09-25-2019, 11:55 AM
letitloose06

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How much shorter would you go ?
It really depends on how long the slip joint is the suspension travel. It looks like there isn't much room for compression.

It almost looks like the previous owner had the driveshaft made with the original D35 axle and then swapped in the 8.8. The pinion on the 8.8 is about an inch longer.

I made this same mistake with my YJ about 10 years ago. The shaft bottomed out and sheared off both u-joint caps. It made for a long drive home in FWD....

1992 YJ 4.0L, AX-15, 4" RE Standard Lift, 35x12.5R15 Maxxis Bighorn MT's, Grizzly Locked 8.8 Rear, HP44 with Spartan, 4.10's, Smittybilt Armor, JCR Off road Stage 2 Front Bumper, Custom Rear Bumper

1966 M416 1/4 Ton Cargo Trailer --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1951 CJ3A Restomod Project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in