Definitive info on the Passport/Rodeo Dana 44 - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 83 Old 12-26-2017, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
ghetdjc320

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep is up for sale now. If anyone needs any final measurements before itís gone let me know. On to my MJ project!

-DJC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 83 Old 01-17-2018, 01:03 AM
pc1p
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghetdjc320 View Post
The Dana 44 Isuzu Rear is working out great! I run 4.56 gears and a Detroit and wheel it plenty on 35s with no issues. I would feel confident running 37’s. Ran fins and things and hells revenge in Moab with no issues at all. Actually getting ready to sell my YJ since I just picked up an MJ that will be my next project.
A few follow-up questions if you don't mind...

1) You ever convert to disc brakes? I have a 97 disc-brake Rodeo D44 with 4.30 gears. I can get a 96 Rodeo D44 with 4.56 gears and drum brakes. I'd prefer the disc brakes and it seems like if the swap is just a matter of swapping backing plates, it would be an easy thing since I already have the parts (only paid $60 for the 97 Rodeo rear). Alternatively, I can swap gearsets if needed (not trying to be cheap, I just prefer heat-cycled factory Spicer gears)

2) How do you like the Detroit in the rear? Acceptable street manners with your 5-speed and 35" tires?

3) You mentioned the rear just bolts in place. Are the springs splayed at all or is the spacing on the spring perch centers an exact fit to the 96-97 D44 rear?

Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #78 of 83 Old 09-15-2018, 04:32 AM
astjp2
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have the 95 disc rodeo in the rear of my 84 YJ, it has about 20K miles on it. I love the parking brake, the calipers bias between front and rear took a while to figure out but it wound up being cheap pads in the rear using a GM metric caliper and a custom bracket that bolts to the rodeo's original caliper bracket mount. I got the bracket from Speedway and just trimmed and drilled it down to fit the caliper onto the rotor. I also put in an Eaton E-locker, ran the stock 4.11 gears. It worked excellent with the waggy front and crossover steering. Tim

post #79 of 83 Old 11-12-2018, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
ghetdjc320

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1p View Post
Quote:
The Dana 44 Isuzu Rear is working out great! I run 4.56 gears and a Detroit and wheel it plenty on 35s with no issues. I would feel confident running 37’s. Ran fins and things and hells revenge in Moab with no issues at all. Actually getting ready to sell my YJ since I just picked up an MJ that will be my next project.
A few follow-up questions if you don't mind...

1) You ever convert to disc brakes? I have a 97 disc-brake Rodeo D44 with 4.30 gears. I can get a 96 Rodeo D44 with 4.56 gears and drum brakes. I'd prefer the disc brakes and it seems like if the swap is just a matter of swapping backing plates, it would be an easy thing since I already have the parts (only paid $60 for the 97 Rodeo rear). Alternatively, I can swap gearsets if needed (not trying to be cheap, I just prefer heat-cycled factory Spicer gears)

2) How do you like the Detroit in the rear? Acceptable street manners with your 5-speed and 35" tires?

3) You mentioned the rear just bolts in place. Are the springs splayed at all or is the spacing on the spring perch centers an exact fit to the 96-97 D44 rear?

Thanks in advance!
Sorry I missed this reply! It’s probably to late now but let me just clarify for future reference.
1. The backing plate is not the issue. The housing ends are different between the two. The housing ends are actually the caliper mounts on these axles. I’ve checked into the disk swap and it seems the easiest thing to do is run a weld on caliper mount and waggy rotors.
2. The Detroit works great. Scared me to death though on those mountain passes in Colorado on my way to Utah. I was keeping one hand on the door handle (ready to bail) and the other on the wheel lol. It likes to track straight and pushes through the turns.
3. The spring perch centers had the exact same width as my shackle centers. No spring “splaying”. I was running bds 4” leafs and currie boomerang shackles.

-DJC
post #80 of 83 Old 11-26-2018, 08:58 AM
pc1p
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Sorry I missed this reply! Itís probably to late now but let me just clarify for future reference.
1. The backing plate is not the issue. The housing ends are different between the two. The housing ends are actually the caliper mounts on these axles. Iíve checked into the disk swap and it seems the easiest thing to do is run a weld on caliper mount and waggy rotors.
2. The Detroit works great. Scared me to death though on those mountain passes in Colorado on my way to Utah. I was keeping one hand on the door handle (ready to bail) and the other on the wheel lol. It likes to track straight and pushes through the turns.
3. The spring perch centers had the exact same width as my shackle centers. No spring ďsplayingĒ. I was running bds 4Ē leafs and currie boomerang shackles.
Thanks @ghetdjc320 ! Indeed you're a little late however, as I've been running a 97 Rodeo rear for some time now and love it! I can confirm the above - the drum-to-disc swap isn't easy. Although the axle shafts appear to be identical, the rear bearing retainer is different and would need to be swapped out. The spring perches on the 96-97 axle are also perfectly matched to the YJ - I couldn't believe how easy it was to bolt in place. The 60.5" WMS-WMS is perfect for a Waggy D44 front swap. I ended up going with dual Eaton E-lockers, 4.88's and 35" x 12.5" MT/R's which measure fairly true to size (34.6" loaded).

One thing that gets overlooked on this axle swap is how to hook up the rear e-brake. I couldn't find anything compatible, so I ended up making an adapter from some DOM and 3/16" flat stock.

I ended up paring the Rodeo rear up to a Waggy front axle:

If anyone is interested, you can see my Dana 44 swap page here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #81 of 83 Old 01-06-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
ghetdjc320

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1p View Post
Quote:
Sorry I missed this reply! It’s probably to late now but let me just clarify for future reference.
1. The backing plate is not the issue. The housing ends are different between the two. The housing ends are actually the caliper mounts on these axles. I’ve checked into the disk swap and it seems the easiest thing to do is run a weld on caliper mount and waggy rotors.
3. The spring perch centers had the exact same width as my shackle centers. No spring “splaying”. I was running bds 4” leafs and currie boomerang shackles.
Thanks @ghetdjc320 ! Indeed you're a little late however, as I've been running a 97 Rodeo rear for some time now and love it! I can confirm the above - the drum-to-disc swap isn't easy. Although the axle shafts appear to be identical, the rear bearing retainer is different and would need to be swapped out. The spring perches on the 96-97 axle are also perfectly matched to the YJ - I couldn't believe how easy it was to bolt in place. The 60.5" WMS-WMS is perfect for a Waggy D44 front swap. I ended up going with dual Eaton E-lockers, 4.88's and 35" x 12.5" MT/R's which measure fairly true to size (34.6" loaded).

One thing that gets overlooked on this axle swap is how to hook up the rear e-brake. I couldn't find anything compatible, so I ended up making an adapter from some DOM and 3/16" flat stock.

I ended up paring the Rodeo rear up to a Waggy front axle:

If anyone is interested, you can see my Dana 44 swap page here
That’s awesome! Glad to hear it all worked out. Yeah these are great swap candidates. I’m always amazed at how many are just lying in junk yards all over the place. And that axle can handle some abuse! And the 98 and latter version is practically identical to the jk Dana 44 (I bet it was based off of the rodeo axle). Even uses the same ring and pinion setup. I’ve always been a bit curious as to why they put such a good axle into a rodeo/passport??? I would say though that aside from the wheel bolt pattern I would do the rodeo 44 over an 8.8 anyday. By the way, the e brake cables from my 88 plugged right into my 96 rodeo 44 with drum brakes. Absolutely no modification needed. Looks like the disk version is a bit different as you described.

-DJC
post #82 of 83 Old 01-06-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
ghetdjc320

1988 YJ Wrangler 

@pc1p is that a disconnect wavy front end? Just seems like the cover is wider than a typical Dana 44. I used a disconnect axle and converted it (easy to do by the way). Nice looking setup!

-DJC
post #83 of 83 Old 01-07-2019, 10:01 AM
pc1p
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
@pc1p is that a disconnect wavy front end? Just seems like the cover is wider than a typical Dana 44. I used a disconnect axle and converted it (easy to do by the way). Nice looking setup!
Nope, it's a standard D44 from a 1980 Waggy (BOM# 610090-1) but with a set of 1973 GM D44 knuckles.
Attached Thumbnails
2018-03-08 Jeep YJ (1).jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in