Definitive info on the Passport/Rodeo Dana 44 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 83 Old 02-11-2015, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
ghetdjc320

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Some pics I found online with some comparisons on pinion size between standard D44 and 98+ Rodeo/Passport/JK D44

Attached Images

-DJC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 83 Old 02-11-2015, 08:06 PM
bgredjeep
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headingout View Post
2ed Gen Troopers also have this axle, 4.56 and 4.30 I believe, there is an early and late version, the later is slightly wider, look at the fire wall tag for the G80 option, if the tag has the G80 code it's a limited slip.
This is not a Dana 44. Troopers run a drop out rear axle. It is comparable in strength, but in no way the same able as the passports and rodeos run. If you need a 4.56 axle it's a good option but there are limited ratios available last I checked. The 4.30 axle from the later years has a stronger gear set on part with a Dana 60, but no other ratios available. The 4.56 and 4.30 axles do not interchange parts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 83 Old 02-11-2015, 08:21 PM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Big Red Jeep is getting the inside scoop on all the corporate knowledge of these Dana 44's from Japanese trucks........ I sense a run on the Junkyards.......I have passed at least half a dozen of these up before, maybe I'll go get one.

....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.

post #19 of 83 Old 02-11-2015, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
ghetdjc320

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59
Big Red Jeep is getting the inside scoop on all the corporate knowledge of these Dana 44's from Japanese trucks........ I sense a run on the Junkyards.......I have passed at least half a dozen of these up before, maybe I'll go get one.
Yep the junk yards are onto us jeepers with the 8.8 axles and have jacked up the prices. The passport/rodeo 44's are still more reasonable. Looking forward to some more info. Like I said keep checking the first post in the thread as I will update it with more info as we collect it. Thanks for the help!

-DJC
post #20 of 83 Old 02-11-2015, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
ghetdjc320

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep
This is not a Dana 44. Troopers run a drop out rear axle. It is comparable in strength, but in no way the same able as the passports and rodeos run. If you need a 4.56 axle it's a good option but there are limited ratios available last I checked. The 4.30 axle from the later years has a stronger gear set on part with a Dana 60, but no other ratios available. The 4.56 and 4.30 axles do not interchange parts.
Yep the troopers run an Isuzu corporate 12 bolt. I would imagine the axle itself is fairly strong but the aftermarket support I don't think would be very good. On the other hand since the JK's have revived the super d44 and are compatible with the rodeo/passport axles the aftermarket should be great.

-DJC
post #21 of 83 Old 02-11-2015, 09:31 PM
deathtrap
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I looked into these about 6 years ago, I think its a good swap, But the big draw back for me was the 6 lug pattern, I don't think the axles can be easily re-drilled to 5 on 4.5 due to the large center register. It may require custom axles and brakes to stay 4.5 bolt circle.
post #22 of 83 Old 02-11-2015, 10:32 PM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Custom shafts from Moser, Superior Axle, etc?? Of course that would eat somewhat into the financial benefit of yanking a Junk yard axle, but another solution.

I am reading 93 and 94 Rodeo had the D44 only if you had the V6, otherwise it's GM 10 bolt. 95+ on all have D44, coil sprung version starts with 98. Also are 4.10 or 4.30 if out of a 4WD. I suppose all this needs to be confirmed though. Amigos from 98 on all had D44 but coil springs, easy to cut off cups and weld on spring perches though.

Anyone have access to JP magazine back issues? Somewhere around Oct 2001? I understand there was an axle article in there with some Rodeo/Amigo D44 axles but I don't have a subctription.

I'm stuck on da Rock

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
post #23 of 83 Old 02-12-2015, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
ghetdjc320

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59
Custom shafts from Moser, Superior Axle, etc?? Of course that would eat somewhat into the financial benefit of yanking a Junk yard axle, but another solution. I am reading 93 and 94 Rodeo had the D44 only if you had the V6, otherwise it's GM 10 bolt. 95+ on all have D44, coil sprung version starts with 98. Also are 4.10 or 4.30 if out of a 4WD. I suppose all this needs to be confirmed though. Amigos from 98 on all had D44 but coil springs, easy to cut off cups and weld on spring perches though. Anyone have access to JP magazine back issues? Somewhere around Oct 2001? I understand there was an axle article in there with some Rodeo/Amigo D44 axles but I don't have a subctription.
The JP article is actually online but unfortunately doesn't have a lot of info. In fact, until the jk started to reuse the same gear sets as the 98+ there hasn't been to much interest in them it seems. All the tech I find pre JK era doesn't get much attention.

-DJC
post #24 of 83 Old 02-12-2015, 09:06 AM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I found numerous posts where Jeepers said they had theirs drilled, with mention of having to spend only $100 for it, which would indicate that they did have this done, then there were other posts where Jeepers were saying merely that it could be done, but not offering up any evidence. There were not photo articles on this, mainly just "aside commentary." I'd like to see photos. It is likely there is a forum out there of Isuzu Rodeo fanatics who may have all this information in their FAQ that could be tapped into.

I'm stuck on da Rock

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
post #25 of 83 Old 02-12-2015, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
ghetdjc320

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
I found numerous posts where Jeepers said they had theirs drilled, with mention of having to spend only $100 for it, which would indicate that they did have this done, then there were other posts where Jeepers were saying merely that it could be done, but not offering up any evidence. There were not photo articles on this, mainly just "aside commentary." I'd like to see photos. It is likely there is a forum out there of Isuzu Rodeo fanatics who may have all this information in their FAQ that could be tapped into.
I have searched the Isuzu forums diligently but they done seem to do near as many axle swaps as jeepers do and therefore there isn't as much tech when it comes to machine work. In the Isuzu forums when there is mention of swapping drums to disks there is no real tech but rather many suggestions to just get a disk brake axle and swap it out. Well I'll know soon enough

-DJC
post #26 of 83 Old 02-12-2015, 01:46 PM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Somehow I had figured you had already checked in to those type forums, sad to come up dry. The JP article you had found, was it the one I was trying to cite? Or was it a different article perhaps?

I'm stuck on da Rock

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
post #27 of 83 Old 02-12-2015, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
ghetdjc320

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Here is the original article http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/tr...dana-44-axles/

-DJC
post #28 of 83 Old 02-12-2015, 03:42 PM
pete1991YJ

1991 YJ Wrangler 

OK here's where it gets weird. I asked the guy at work about his axles, he said the rear is out of a Mitsubishi Montero, 1991 they chose that year because it had disk brakes and the bolt pattern matched the waggy front. No idea on the width tho.

***--- Wrecking Crew member ---***
"I've prolly been around longer than you think"
post #29 of 83 Old 02-12-2015, 07:14 PM
lucdog

1980 CJ5 

Feel free to cut and paste my PM to you , into this thread. I tried to, my phone wouldn't let me.

IIRC my Isuzu 44 was a coil spring axle , I cut all the brackets off, it is now in a SOA leaf sprung.

I would add, I've used the axle 3 times in Moab, twice on Prittchett canyon. This is with 36" bias IROCS at 4 psi. I've also used it at the Superlift park and Wheeling world in Arkansas, SMORR IN Missouri . And the Black Hills in South Dakota.

TSEJeepers can attest to the abuse I've given this axle.

Bill

1957 WILLYS pickup,
1973 J 4000,
1978 CJ7 DD.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ.
post #30 of 83 Old 02-20-2015, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
ghetdjc320

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghetdjc320
Were trying to get some definitive info together in the YJ section on the passport/rodeo dana 44's. Someone mentioned you swapped one into your cj. Do you have any specs on this axle? Looking for info like WMS to WMS, Locker options, Brake line fiottings, e-brake setup, tube diameter/thickness, axle shafts ect. Would realy appreciate the input. Here is a link to the post https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/d...-44-a-3006465/ Thanks
I don't remember the width, I did shorten the axle 3.5" and center the pumpkin, and had Moser make a new shaft.

On the E brake, OEM is in the hat of the rotor. I adapted the CJ E-brake lines to work. They work great.

The calipers use metric fittings for the lines. I used the OEM short hoses and used the metric hard line fittings on the stock 3/16" lines.

As far as lockers, I welded my spiders, so I didn't even check into lockers. Randy's ring pinion can give you choices.

The axle uses standard seals/bearings and races of a Dana 44. My axle came with 4.30 gears, I'm still using them. Randy's told me 4.56 was the lowest ratio that would fit. In talking with guys in the know in the CJ section, any ratio for a 44 will work.

My axle has a cast iron center section with a aluminum diff cover, and 44 cover will fit. You do not want the axle with the aluminum center section.

The lug pattern is 6 on 5.5 on all the Isuzu and Honda axles. I am using a GM 10 bolt for the front so same lug pattern.
This was the PM I received from Lucdog. Thanks for the info! I have not found any with an aluminum center section only a finned aluminum diff cover.

-DJC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in