Dash wiring assistance - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-24-2016, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
jbolt

Dash wiring assistance

So I am currently trying to wire in a CJ dash into my 95 YJ. What I need help with is the sending units. I know the ohms and amps are different for the oil pressure, fuel gauge, and temperature. So, the YJ has an oil pressure sending unit like the one in my first attachment and the cj's is similar to the second. how can I wire in a CJ gauge such as the oil pressure gauge in my yj? Can I use a cj sending unit and not mess with the yj's internal computer? just looking for a little guidance. Thanks!

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-24-2016, 11:29 PM
Michaelgoesrawr

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Swap the sending units.

Adopt your pets. Don't shop for them.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-25-2016, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
jbolt

And swapping the sending units won't mess with the engine or check engine code lights?
For swapping the temperature sending unit as well- will that effect the computer and check engine light either? Thanks

post #4 of 6 Old 04-25-2016, 05:48 AM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I can't see your jeep specs with the jeepforum app, but iirc the oil pressure senders are not tied to the ecu functions, for one, and for another, I think the sending units are different looking but have the same electrical potentials; I think they swap but I don't think there's a need to? Others may have better info...
The difference is in the external canister unit the 'ground' is achieved through the threads into the block with a single wire that sees the resistance value of the ground as varied by the oil pressure while the other one carries its own ground in the pigtail. The gauge responds to the ground signal variance. The signal *may* be monitored by the computer to not trigger spark until it sees oil pressure but I can't remember if this is the case or not. But if you're using the pigtail anyway and all you are doing is feeding the harness, the gauge should work fine.

The temp sensor is a different story in one aspect- the computer needs to see the temp to do its thing. But again, the gauge is merely reading the volts as varied by the temp sensor so your gauge may read fine. I think it will. I believe the gauge temp pickup comes from the t-stat sensor and the computer looks at a sensor at the rear of the block, or vice versa, I can't remember specifically. You won't hurt anything by wiring the gauges up and starting it. If they read like they always did, carry on. That's what I would do.

Now that I've written all that from random memory, I think there are a couple of good threads in the 'stickies' that mention these issues with gauges. The threads are titled, "CJ Dash Swap" or the like. I'd recommend spending the 20 minutes it would take to scan through those threads. There may be a speedo issue to attend to as well depending on what year/tranny/tcase you have.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #5 of 6 Old 04-25-2016, 09:34 AM
Michaelgoesrawr

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolt View Post
And swapping the sending units won't mess with the engine or check engine code lights?
For swapping the temperature sending unit as well- will that effect the computer and check engine light either? Thanks
As far as I know the oil pressure has nothing to do with the computer but I do not know for sure

Adopt your pets. Don't shop for them.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-25-2016, 10:20 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a CJ circuit.... http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/gageoil.htm

I don't know what the '95 ECU looks at but it can't really look for oil pressure pre-ignition as there wouldn't be any, so unless there's a fail safe in there that kills it with no pressure after it's running I don't think there's anything to be concerned with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Tags
cj , dash , sending unit , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in