Dash Conversion Yj to Custom Dash - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 59 Old 02-11-2020, 05:29 PM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I do like the DD dash kits. I just couldn't stomach the price. I know it probably takes him several hours to make it plus materials so it's not unreasonable.... I just couldn't talk myself into it at the time.

One thing I will point out with a GPS speedo... It works great when cruising but there is a 1-2 second lag when accelerating and stopping. When I drive a manual, I typically glance at my speed when downshifting to determine the right gear. Accelerating from a stop isn't a big deal but when I'm slowing for a red light and it turns green, I might feel like I should be shifting into 2nd or 3rd but my speedo was still reading 45mph. By the time I've come to a complete stop, the speedo was just passing 20mph. Not the end of the world but something to be aware of.

As for the speaker sound on my dash.... the lack of stereo sound is no where near as bad as you might think. Between the wind noise with no doors or top, a V8 with a throaty exhaust, and big mud tires, the fact that you can even hear music is a simple pleasure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 59 Old 02-11-2020, 05:45 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have done some research on GPS speedo's... and actually have found some considerably cheaper than any autometer electronic gauge. It makes for easier hook up.

Just have not done any research on reviews.

I would certainly be down for one if they come recommended.

All that said, i would need direction in terms of mechanical or electric - i believe the YJs use all electric gauges (1995 anyhow), am i correct on that? I am okay with this - it isn't a track car and being off a wee bit is fine for a daily driver YJ - just need to know things are within tolerable range.

I assume with the dash i am leaning towards (posted above) the screw cup design gauges will not work, i suppose i can work with Dan on that and get the holes cut flush without metal protrusions.

My only fear with the GPS speedo is location/angle of the GPS/antenna unit. Our windshields are pretty much vertical and in the limited research i have done, i see it should be flat side pointed to the sky.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #18 of 59 Old 02-12-2020, 05:57 AM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure I've ever seen an aftermarket electronic speedo that doesn't have built in adjustments. You install it and then enter a calibration mode where you drive a mile (usually) and then end the calibration. Once that's done, your speedo is correct. If you ever change tire sizes, you just do that again.

When I did the GPS speedo receiver, I used my same aftermarket gauges. I think the receiver itself was like $40-$50. I threaded the receiver through the cowl behind hood and just placed it where the wipers wouldn't hit when folding the windshield down. I still have that receiver somewhere but I hated it.

post #19 of 59 Old 02-12-2020, 07:56 AM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
I have done some research on GPS speedo's... and actually have found some considerably cheaper than any autometer electronic gauge. It makes for easier hook up.

All that said, i would need direction in terms of mechanical or electric - i believe the YJs use all electric gauges (1995 anyhow), am i correct on that? I am okay with this - it isn't a track car and being off a wee bit is fine for a daily driver YJ - just need to know things are within tolerable range.

I assume with the dash i am leaning towards (posted above) the screw cup design gauges will not work, i suppose i can work with Dan on that and get the holes cut flush without metal protrusions.

My only fear with the GPS speedo is location/angle of the GPS/antenna unit. Our windshields are pretty much vertical and in the limited research i have done, i see it should be flat side pointed to the sky.
Mine sits on the dash. works fine..

As mentioned, if you think there's a swap in your future, a gps speedo is one less thing to tie in...
Attached Thumbnails
0212200955_HDR_1581519447682.jpg  

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #20 of 59 Old 02-12-2020, 08:40 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireLJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post

Mine sits on the dash. works fine..

As mentioned, if you think there's a swap in your future, a gps speedo is one less thing to tie in...
Definitely a swap at some point.

Yep. Sourced a GPS speedo. I am good on the gauges. Just waiting to hear back from Dan now.
NHfireLJ likes this.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #21 of 59 Old 02-12-2020, 07:16 PM
wizekrakr
1989 YJ Wrangler 

When I rebuilt my dash I used Autometer gauges for the Gas, oil, water, volts and tranny. In my 60's with bi-focals far sighted vision I cannot see what the gauges are telling me at night when I turn the lights on. I know that is probably not the case with younger folks with good vision. I replaced the speedo and tach with Speedhut gauges and wow what a difference at night with the lights on. I can see them really well. I plan to change out all of the Autometer stuff with Speedhut gauges as soon as I can. The lighting is so much better. Just something for you to consider looking at before you lay out the cash.
post #22 of 59 Old 02-12-2020, 07:36 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I should be fine. I have really good eye sight... get tested annually for work and never actually got to the end of the eye test because they stop me at 20/15. Lol.

Regardless thank you for the insight. I am going with Equus gauges to keep the cost down, also hear great reviews on them and at least they are SOMETHING that I can find here in Canada

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #23 of 59 Old 02-12-2020, 08:28 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've been wanting to do this, and wife is onboard after seeing pictures of Don's dash (among others). The gauges are what gets me though. They are very expensive. I may go ahead and build myself a dash this summer. It will take me a lot of time because I'll be building mine from scratch.

Looking forward to seeing what you do, Bruin.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #24 of 59 Old 02-13-2020, 05:03 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
On the grand scale of things DD Fab is not very expensive and it will fit. I’d suggest getting the base made up for you and customize further as you see fit.

Imho some things are neither worth the time nor pride to do oneself. That’s part of reason I stopped making my own tires, and my brakes lined with cement from the hardware store never lasted very long anyways.....

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #25 of 59 Old 02-13-2020, 05:43 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Putting LED’s in Autometer gages makes a HUGE difference in night visibility. Honestly, unless they are the versions with translucent faces like cobalt series, ultra lite 2, etc they suck at night with the supplied incandescent bulb.

YJUnlimited stretch, Links, SBC, Tons, Lockers, and stuff
March 2017 YJOTM/ 2017 YJOTY

post #26 of 59 Old 02-13-2020, 06:11 AM
wizekrakr
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thats great to know. I have the incandescent bulbs and yes they suck. Thanks for the insight on that. I will try the led bulbs before I lay out the cash to replace gauges.
post #27 of 59 Old 02-13-2020, 06:58 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have sent in the finalized schematics for my dash to Dan.

Man, he really is fantastic to work with. Exceeded even his superior reviews. And Fish is right, for the effect of the product you're getting and considering its customized... DD fabs is fantastic on pricing. Like I said, I dont mind giving money to a guy who is on top of his stuff, honest and hard working.

I believe my LED wedges are compatible with my chosen gauges (aside from the GPS speedo). Which is fine.... I chose a GPS speedo that more or les has the same appearance as the Equus gauges I intend to use. Minor trade off. I am sticking with the red lights
87TPIYJ likes this.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #28 of 59 Old 02-13-2020, 07:31 AM
schardein

1983 CJ7 

1983 CJ-7, with YJ tub, custom dash bolts to YJ tub but has CJ layout. Speedhut gauges.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3670.jpg  
NHfireLJ and bruinjeeper like this.

1983 CJ7, 5.3, NV3550, D300 4:1, Fr D44 Detroit, Rr D44 OX, 4.56, 35" Falken A/T3W on beadlocks
post #29 of 59 Old 02-13-2020, 07:54 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schardein View Post
1983 CJ-7, with YJ tub, custom dash bolts to YJ tub but has CJ layout. Speedhut gauges.
Very nice. Love the brushed SS look.

If I were going CJ dash I would just find one at a part out, however and save some serious coin.

I do like the CJ dash lay out for sure though... just not for my jeep. Prefer my gauges in eye stroke. Just habit.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #30 of 59 Old 02-14-2020, 12:24 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'd love to have a DD dash but can't bring myself to spend the money, maybe someday.

As for the GPS device, I'd assume it wouldn't have to be totally unobstructed. I had my Sirius satellite antenna under roll bar padding under the hardtop and had zero issue with reception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Tags
dash , wiring connector , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in