Dana 60 u-joints - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-15-2020, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
SmashleyTulsa

So I just got rear end put back in and everything done the right way but I have pretty good death wobble at around 20 any time I had a decent bump and was thinking about rebuilding the kingpins on my Dana 60 and figured I would go ahead and do the u-joints while I'm there.. are you guys really spending $400 to $600 a pair on u-joints or would the $115 Spicer's work?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-15-2020, 05:05 PM
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I went with the Yukon Super Joints on my 60. I want the YJ to be as bulletproof as possible.

92 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited +
Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #3 of 11 Old 07-15-2020, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
SmashleyTulsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ View Post
I went with the Yukon Super Joints on my 60. I want the YJ to be as bulletproof as possible.
Yeah I saw those I was just wondering if I really needed to spend $700 on two u-joints lol

post #4 of 11 Old 07-15-2020, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
SmashleyTulsa

And guessing the death wobble isn't my kingpin because I have high steer arms and the springs are deleted so maybe it's the play in my dripping steering box
post #5 of 11 Old 07-15-2020, 06:22 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure where you're finding the Spicers for ~$115.

On Amazon they are ~$87 a pair.

I went with the stock Spicers from a local dealer for ~$60 a pair, but that was a while ago.

I didn't mind going with the stock Spicers in the kingpin D60 as a "weak link"
post #6 of 11 Old 07-15-2020, 09:50 PM
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Not sure where you're finding the Spicers for ~$115.

On Amazon they are ~$87 a pair.

I went with the stock Spicers from a local dealer for ~$60 a pair, but that was a while ago.

I didn't mind going with the stock Spicers in the kingpin D60 as a "weak link"
Considering how much you have to remove to get a shaft out of the 60, Id rather not have the joint be the weak link. Hell that was my motivation to go for broke and go full 35 spline chromoly shafts and the Super Joints. I dont want to have to worry about blown shafts or joints and have to blow half the front end apart on the trail.

Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #7 of 11 Old 07-15-2020, 09:56 PM
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashleyTulsa View Post
Yeah I saw those I was just wondering if I really needed to spend $700 on two u-joints lol
Shop around. ECGS has em for $664. I actually got them as part of a full package from ECGS. Chromoly shafts and joints all in one. $1,100 for The Whole kit

https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-23...omoly-kit.html

Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #8 of 11 Old 07-16-2020, 06:13 AM
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

There is only 2 joints to consider.

Spicer for saving $$

Then there are CTM`s

The rest are wannabe`s.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-16-2020, 09:29 AM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Don't rule out kingpins as the source of your death wobble just because you got rid of the spring. It's still possible that it's loose and needs to be shimmed. I know that's not the purpose of this thread but don't just assume it's your steering gearbox because the seal is messed up and it's dripping.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-16-2020, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
SmashleyTulsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
Don't rule out kingpins as the source of your death wobble just because you got rid of the spring. It's still possible that it's loose and needs to be shimmed. I know that's not the purpose of this thread but don't just assume it's your steering gearbox because the seal is messed up and it's dripping.
it was already done when I got the Jeep but I guess I could check the preload on top of the arms and take them apart anyways and see what it looks like inside.. I definitely think the steering box is trash though because there is a ton of play
post #11 of 11 Old 07-20-2020, 03:24 PM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashleyTulsa View Post
it was already done when I got the Jeep but I guess I could check the preload on top of the arms and take them apart anyways and see what it looks like inside.. I definitely think the steering box is trash though because there is a ton of play
Sorry for the slow response but the reason I say this was because I replaced all the balljoints on my D44 when I got it. Had death wobble issues from the start no matter what I did. I also checked preload and did everything I was supposed to. Only after I started installing my full hydro setup did I notice that the cotter pins were in place but the nut had a good half a turn before even bottoming out on the knuckle. I never verified that to be the source of my death wobble but considering every other steering linkage was tight, I figure that had to be the case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in