Dana 44/489 from ECGS - JeepForum.com
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 02-23-2020, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
PrincessJ
1983 CJ7 

Dana 44/489 from ECGS

Hello again from the CJ side. Just looking for advise on the Dana 44/489 East Coast Gear Supply offers and if anyone on the wrangler form has input. I literatally have my head wrapped around the axle trying to get the setup best for me to run up to 38 in tires no pun intended. I was looking at their dana 44 front and between their 489 or 60 rear. Both seem to be 35 splined axles and I assume that must mean they are using JK gear sets. Other options are to stick with my original plan to build 9's but am limited to ARB lockers if I want selectable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-23-2020, 02:06 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Can't speak to thiers but I went w a G2 D44 also has a JK housing...
PrincessJ likes this.

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #3 of 26 Old 02-23-2020, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
PrincessJ
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireLJ View Post
Can't speak to thiers but I went w a G2 D44 also has a JK housing...
Axles are going to be my biggest investment so I really am trying to pick the right ones without going too overboard but retaining strength for moderate - hard wheeling.

Military service: March 2007-(I will fill this out with im done.)

post #4 of 26 Old 02-23-2020, 02:14 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The G2, runs Chromo shafts with 1350 U-joints, I'm currently running 37's with an LS engine, I have no concerns going up to 39. I ran 35s on a Dana 30. It's all about being appropriate on the pedal

SOLD

style intake
post #5 of 26 Old 02-23-2020, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
PrincessJ
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
The G2, runs Chromo shafts with 1350 U-joints, I'm currently running 37's with an LS engine, I have no concerns going up to 39. I ran 35s on a Dana 30. It's all about being appropriate on the pedal
Will G2 set up my spring perch and pinion angle? There seems to be fewer companies advertising CJ axles

post #6 of 26 Old 02-23-2020, 02:30 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessJ View Post
Quote:
Will G2 set up my spring perch and pinion angle? There seems to be fewer companies advertising CJ axles
no idea. I know they are usually made to order. You could check with them but their email is typically pretty slow. I went through Morris 4 x 4, check with them and they can reach out to G2 axle directly you could check with them but they are email is typically pretty slow. I went through Morris 4x4, check with them and they can reach out to G2 axle directly. If they don't that's easy enough to add perches on later
PrincessJ likes this.

SOLD

style intake
post #7 of 26 Old 02-23-2020, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
PrincessJ
1983 CJ7 

If I go with my original plan to build Hi9s, it will come out to 1300 for the curry front builder housing with axle shafts (I would use my outers), 1600 for the rear section with shafts, brakes, bracket set up. $3k per third member with 5.13s and arbs. I could cut the cost by buying the arbs seperate and hi9 builder kit that comes with everything to set it up for $1600. This is just for axles. Im working on getting the little stuff purchased now building up to that. The story on how my my free jeep turned into a 20k jeep over a span of 7 years

post #8 of 26 Old 02-23-2020, 07:11 PM
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That Dana 489 uses stock knuckles and ball joints. Even with the larger JK ring and pinion your going to be limited to 35s with that axle. I have the Same basic setup with the Currie RockJock 44 in my TJ and I’m only comfortable running 35s.

Have a Dana 489 rear axle in my YJ with 35 spline chromoly shafts and an ARB. Well built axle with no build quality issues.
post #9 of 26 Old 02-23-2020, 07:49 PM
TSEJEEPERS

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessJ View Post
If I go with my original plan to build Hi9s, it will come out to 1300 for the curry front builder housing with axle shafts (I would use my outers), 1600 for the rear section with shafts, brakes, bracket set up. $3k per third member with 5.13s and arbs. I could cut the cost by buying the arbs seperate and hi9 builder kit that comes with everything to set it up for $1600. This is just for axles. Im working on getting the little stuff purchased now building up to that. The story on how my my free jeep turned into a 20k jeep over a span of 7 years
I do not think Currie makes the Hi9 anymore. The one they did make used 8.8 ring and pinion.
You could also try the True High9. Much better set up in my opinion.
http://www.truehi9.com/
PrincessJ likes this.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
post #10 of 26 Old 02-23-2020, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
PrincessJ
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
I do not think Currie makes the Hi9 anymore. The one they did make used 8.8 ring and pinion.
You could also try the True High9. Much better set up in my opinion.
http://www.truehi9.com/
My mistake, that is who I have been in contact with. I am looking at currie for the housings and builders components. probably going with 5.13s and go no bigger than 37-38. Apparently the true hi9 has been approved by the FAA.
TSEJEEPERS likes this.

post #11 of 26 Old 02-23-2020, 08:25 PM
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Don't know what your specs are but allow me to throw a couple points in.

If your keeping the stock or close to stock wheelbase driveshaft angles are always a consideration. Not sure what you have for power but 1310`s with a CV and a slip make for quite a bit shorter driveshaft than 1350s. Not to mention the added angularity available.

Used Currie RockJock centers and pressed my own tubes in.
In the rear the Moser 7750DB setup works very well. the shaft is 35 spline but necks up to 1.75 through most of its length. Big bearings and 1/2 thick axle flanges. Your choice of bolt pattern. 8.8 parts bolt on so now you have your brake/ E brake.

The front I did the same thing (bought a bare center and pressed tubes in) but am set up with all SpiderTrax outers, shafts, stubs, CTM`s etc. You could use any number of outers for your needs.

Being the RJ is HP driveshaft angles are in your favor.

You could buy the RJ housings with the tubes pressed in. Set your pinion angle/position in both the X and Y dimension. Set caster and width to where you want it. Truly have an axle that is built for YOUR rig. Rather than compromising and making something work.

When I did the RJ`s the pricing turned out to be a bit cheaper than the Tru Hi9`s and aftermarket housings.

I`m late to the show so these comments might not be relevant.
PrincessJ likes this.
post #12 of 26 Old 02-23-2020, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
PrincessJ
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Don't know what your specs are but allow me to throw a couple points in
Since I am new to this realm any and all advise is considered. I plan on keeping my 6 cylinder simple setup for now, feels strong and plenty reliable. I currently have a reman ax15/atlas 2, 4.3 on order. I already received my adapter for my bell housing so this will be an early spring project as my atlas is not due to arrive until april. I plan on running 63 WMS axles to give a bit more stability on SOA rubicon express YJ reverse eye springs. Pressing on tubes is out of my capability because I do not have access to such a press however I am confident to assemble my own third members which I may get inspected after I do them because I will be putting arbs in it. The reasoning behind the atlas was by the time I did a lomax or tara 4:1 with HD output shafts, the savings was neglegable and the atlas mates up to the ax15 without additional clocking ring. I plan to get cv style shafts made at the transfer case side and non cv for the differential side. there will be a time I will be running my current 30/20 set-up with the atlas. I have bumpers and rock sliders on order (went with CCFAB sliders and thedirtwerkx bumpers). I can use the chevy high steer outers with the currie housing they offer which is good because I have yukon hardcore locking hubs and 30 spline chromo outers. Only modification I will have them do is extend the housing 2 inches on each side. I also have a trailer I can do all the work on and park it at work/tote it around to my house back and fourth so it doesnt look like i am running a 4x4 shop in my court.

post #13 of 26 Old 02-23-2020, 09:13 PM
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Not totally understanding your info but getting the gist of it

Not sure if this is a multi purpose rig or trail only. One thing to consider is gear ratios.

Having a decent crawl ratio (I run 9x:1) and freeway with 37’s is [email protected] 70 mph.

Did this with 538’s on the axles and a Atlas 3.0. My transmission has a low 1st gear and a overdrive 5th. In low range around 35/40 is as fast as I want to spin the engine. The 3.8 or deeper just wouldn’t be as versatile. Grimjeeper has a good gear ratio calculator you might want to look at.

With very few part exceptions the big name driveshaft companies use off the shelf Spicer parts. They get obscene amounts of money for what you local shop can build. A JK friend spent some 1500+ for shafts from a big company. Adding all the Spicer parts up worked out to be less than 375. Be careful you don’t get taken by a shiny finish and a big name.
shaggyjim and ThomasYJ like this.
post #14 of 26 Old 02-23-2020, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
PrincessJ
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Not totally understanding your info but getting the gist of it

Not sure if this is a multi purpose rig or trail only.
Multi purpose DD/Trail why I will go no bigger than 37-38s. I will definately take your advise shopping local or even as far north as Dallas. I will start shopping for shafts when I get the ax15/atlas mounted. I know I say 5.13s but I have been considering 5.38s as well.

post #15 of 26 Old 02-24-2020, 07:43 PM
wizekrakr
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you are well on your way to quite a build. I went with ECGS axles both front and rear. I am very happy with the end product. Although the most expensive part of my build. I checked with G2 to see if they could build my axles to the custom with I wanted. They couldn't. ECGS could. I wanted older style GM inner C's so I could build the outers with GM Dana flat top knuckles for my hi steer set up. G2 couldn't. ECGS could. ECGS was very easy to work with. Give them enough info for your jeep and they will build it any way you want it. That was my experience with ECGS.
PrincessJ likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in