D30 pattern - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 06-05-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 20,034
Garage
D30 pattern

Slapped this in with the old shim stacks. Seems pretty close but I turned it with no drag applied.

thoughts?

the hardest part was finding gear paint. no one keeps it in stock and most of them can only get the dark blue which is invisible.

Attached Images
   

.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jbolty is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 06-05-2019, 02:10 PM
Magnum
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Duluth, GA
Posts: 289
DISCLAIMER: I am by no means an expert. My experience is limited to setting up my front Dana 30 and rear Explorer 8.8. I was apparently successful, because they are both still intact and do not make strange noises.

The patterns sort of look good, but it is hard to see for sure. You really need to turn the pinion with a load. You will get much better marks that way.

94 YJ, 4.0, 5-Spd, 33x12.5 GY Duratrac, RE 2.5" Lift
Brown Dog Mounts, 8.8 w/ disks, TrueTrac f & r
Magnum is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 06-05-2019, 02:35 PM
Siva283
Registered User
 
Siva283's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,755
That looks like a pretty good pattern for pinion depth. It looks like you might need to tighten up the backlash a little though. Might be kinda noisy like that

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
Siva283 is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 Old 06-05-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 20,034
Garage
thanks. Pretty happy it's this close without having to adjust anything yet. I'll get it squared away this weekend and follow up

.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jbolty is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 06-05-2019, 05:07 PM
zrickety
Registered User
 
zrickety's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 411
Garage
I think it looks really good. As someone else said, make sure the backlash is right and you're all set.
I got the paint from Summit pretty cheap with my ring and pinion order. Most bearing sets will include it as well.

1988 Jeep Wrangler Laredo
zrickety is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 06-09-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 20,034
Garage
backlash is about 6-8.
Attached Images
 

.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jbolty is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 06-10-2019, 05:22 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler
 
87TPIYJ's Avatar
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 2,191
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
backlash is about 6-8.
That pic looks like the pinion is not deep enough. The apex of the pattern (pointing from heel to toe) looks to be about 75% up the tooth towards the top land. You want it centered. Are these used or new gears? Carl Jantz put out a quick you tube video that helps give a basic understanding of patterns.


YJUnlimited stretch, Links, SBC, Tons, Lockers, and stuff
March 2017 YJOTM/ 2017 YJOTY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
87TPIYJ is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 06-10-2019, 06:59 AM
Siva283
Registered User
 
Siva283's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
backlash is about 6-8.
On used gears that should be about perfect for the D30. When I did mine Dana and Yukon both said .03 - .06 backlash if I remember correctly. That was with new gears. SInce these are use you should be about dead on. The pattern looks excellent too.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
Siva283 is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 06-10-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 20,034
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87TPIYJ View Post
That pic looks like the pinion is not deep enough. The apex of the pattern (pointing from heel to toe) looks to be about 75% up the tooth towards the top land. You want it centered. Are these used or new gears? Carl Jantz put out a quick you tube video that helps give a basic understanding of patterns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVb5WRUfM7Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
On used gears that should be about perfect for the D30. When I did mine Dana and Yukon both said .03 - .06 backlash if I remember correctly. That was with new gears. SInce these are use you should be about dead on. The pattern looks excellent too.
Thanks for the feedback. I was a mechanic at a chevy dealer a million years ago and even though I am no longer in that business and have been working on cars for 40+ years have never set gears until recently. Several of the guys in my wheeling group have either been doing gear swaps or lockers and we figured it's high time to learn how to do it.

These are new gears. last fall I put in a used set in an emergency but they were pretty old and now that our wheeling season is over I'm putting in new gears and new bearings. I'll watch that video and then maybe shim out the pinion a little and take another pattern.

I'm in no hurry to get out into the desert right now. lol.
Attached Images
 
87TPIYJ likes this.

.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jbolty is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 06-10-2019, 10:43 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler
 
87TPIYJ's Avatar
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 2,191
Garage
D30 pattern

I am by no means an expert, but my father in law runs a Jeep shop and he is a guru with gears. I learned a lot from him setting up my gears on my tons.
Some tips:
- Solidly hit the ring gear back and forth with a dead blow once you drop the carrier in the housing. You would not believe how much extra back lash you can get from the bearings fully seating.
-CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN! We used like 4 or 5 cans of brake cleaner to make sure everything was bone dry and clean.
-If you have set up bearings (new bearings not used) that helps a ton.
- get a regular nut (non locking) matching the pinion threads and use anti seize on it when installing the pinion for checking pattern.
-A case spreader helps get the necessary preload on the carrier bearings.
-you can reuse a pinion nut once installed but not recommended. If you do peen the top edges and use a lot of red locktite.
- IIRC your seal will add 3 or so inch pounds to pinion preload measurement.
-with new bearings stay on the high side of preload spec range.
- your gears probably have a number ex “.006” etched in the side. That is the backlash you want to run for how the gears were cut. (Mine was on the ring gear) the number in the pinion head is for pinion depth
- with a front gear things aren’t as critical as a rear since its duty is less severe, but it’s always good practice to do it right.

Here is a pic of my 14B. Notice the pattern is not a harsh cut off at the root. If you have a harsh line there then it’s in all likelihood too deep. You are really close. I would just want to check with another shim just to see if your pattern gets better. Good luck. It’s not hard, but damn it’s tedious!


YJUnlimited stretch, Links, SBC, Tons, Lockers, and stuff
March 2017 YJOTM/ 2017 YJOTY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
87TPIYJ is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 06-10-2019, 11:19 AM
Siva283
Registered User
 
Siva283's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I was a mechanic at a chevy dealer a million years ago and even though I am no longer in that business and have been working on cars for 40+ years have never set gears until recently. Several of the guys in my wheeling group have either been doing gear swaps or lockers and we figured it's high time to learn how to do it.

These are new gears. last fall I put in a used set in an emergency but they were pretty old and now that our wheeling season is over I'm putting in new gears and new bearings. I'll watch that video and then maybe shim out the pinion a little and take another pattern.

I'm in no hurry to get out into the desert right now. lol.
Even for new gears that pattern is well within the good range. I had a similar on my 8.8 when I regeared and locked it. I have about 15,000 miles on it now and its looks great. Its got a dead on perfect wear pattern.

My D30 also got regeared and locked. My pinion however is way to shallow. I put every shim I could get my hands on. THe censensous seems to be those gears were machined improperly but they came with the jeep when I bought this one so I could return them. The edge of the tooth on the heel is wearing. I decided to just run it till they go then I will redo it. They still however are quiet and have been doing fine. THe backlash was right just the pinion depth is off.

While I am not advocated for sloppy patterns gears are a little more forgiving than people lead you to believe. I would totally run that pinion depth. I would try to tight the backlash up a hair though. Another .001 maybe .002 shim on the ring gear side should get you where you want to be

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
Siva283 is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 06-10-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 20,034
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Even for new gears that pattern is well within the good range. I had a similar on my 8.8 when I regeared and locked it. I have about 15,000 miles on it now and its looks great. Its got a dead on perfect wear pattern.

My D30 also got regeared and locked. My pinion however is way to shallow. I put every shim I could get my hands on. THe censensous seems to be those gears were machined improperly but they came with the jeep when I bought this one so I could return them. The edge of the tooth on the heel is wearing. I decided to just run it till they go then I will redo it. They still however are quiet and have been doing fine. THe backlash was right just the pinion depth is off.

While I am not advocated for sloppy patterns gears are a little more forgiving than people lead you to believe. I would totally run that pinion depth. I would try to tight the backlash up a hair though. Another .001 maybe .002 shim on the ring gear side should get you where you want to be
Good info. thx.

fun fact. My pinion does not have any shims right now, except the slinger

.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jbolty is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 06-10-2019, 12:15 PM
Siva283
Registered User
 
Siva283's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Good info. thx.

fun fact. My pinion does not have any shims right now, except the slinger
My 8.8 is that way. But the slinger counts and it is .002. I have notice with Dana/Spicer gears the pinion is usually that way.(Slinger only) And its is to get a perfect pattern with them. Yukon well I dont think I will but them again. I havent been happy with standard gear either. Yukon made the gears that will not set up properly in my D30 and I ordered a standard gear master kit that had a mix of Koyo and Timkin bearings in it which made set up a nightmare too. That happened twice before I just ordered one through Yukon that was all Timkin bearings.

I prefer Timkin thier tolerances are tighter than Koyo. When you make set up bearings and move to y our final bearings there will be a small change. With Koyo that change would take me out of spec with Timkin there was extremely little to no change.
zrickety likes this.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
Siva283 is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 06-11-2019, 06:27 PM
Climbit
Registered User
 
Climbit's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,484
looks good.

try to remember oil this time.
Climbit is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 08-24-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 20,034
Garage
back at this. First time I've had a chance to touch it since June but our wheeling season will be starting before you know it.

just now I moved the pinion in about .005 and moved the carrier to the right about the same. backlash is ~ .007 ; was .015 before that
Attached Images
   

.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jbolty is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome