The curious case of the POS YJ - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By LenVino
  • 1 Post By fishadventure

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-03-2021, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Solidsnake646

The curious case of the POS YJ

This is my second post about the same thing. So my 1991 Yj had completely died and I ended up putting in a new CPS it failed almost immediately so I ordered a Mopar CPS from a site I found online and it ran great for a month but started stalling again and started to lose power. So I put in a new Bosch Fuel pump thinking it might help, but two days later it completely died and now it’s showing the same code (11 no signal from cam or crankshaft position sensor). I checked the new mopar CPS and it shows resistance (meaning that sucker is toast). I have replaced the plugs, just changed the oil and added Lucas, new fuel filter with the new pump. Also I noticed that every time I hit by a bump it stalls. And before it completely died it started stalling going uphill. Does anyone have any advice on why my CPS goes bad so quickly? It seems when I put the new one in it ran great but then started having issues. Thanks, everyone. I need this Badboy running, it’s almost summer and I’m in Colorado and if i don’t trust it up in the mountains I just might die.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-03-2021, 02:30 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

It'll be easier for people to help you trouble shoot if you keep all your info in one post vs making multiples.... https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...twice-4428299/

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-03-2021, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Solidsnake646

Sorry about that! I definitely will. Thanks for letting me know.
Also, I just tested the harness where the CPS comes from and it’s only getting 9 volt. Is that too low? Could that be what’s frying it? And I felt my finger around in the slot where it goes and on the top it feel rigid and sharp. I’m not sure if that would make a difference. Thanks, y’all.

post #4 of 9 Old 04-03-2021, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Solidsnake646

The curious case of the POS YJ

Another update. So I just went and got another CPS from napa(echlin) just to see if it would start and it fried it the second it got in. It rumbled like it wanted to start for a second and then totally died, I Checked the sensor and it had gone bad. What the heck could make it fry that quickly?
post #5 of 9 Old 04-04-2021, 12:45 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I’m not saying I know why it it ‘fried’ or if it’s for sure dead. I don’t recall the reference voltage nor the ohms.

But there is a pickup in the distributor as well. That’s the ‘cam sensor’ for YJs.
If you’re throwing parts at it I’d try that one, too.
I’d also be inclined to unbundle/unloom the cps snd distributor wires and look for faults.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #6 of 9 Old 04-04-2021, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Solidsnake646

So just a little heads up. I ended up taking the ground off of the fuel pump and reattached it to the rear bumper, I also took off the distributor cap and put it back on and now it’s driving like brand new. No more dying going over bumps or anything. So let’s all take a second, say a little prayer or sacrifice a goat, and hope this is the end of it. Thanks y’all.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-05-2021, 01:12 PM
LenVino
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
So was it a bad ground, then? I suspect other things at play here.. every time you hit a bump it tries to stall..? Double check your wires and connections or you might get stranded again.
Jeepereno likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-06-2021, 08:35 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yes, without adding a fresh, clean ground anyway the frame isn’t necessarily a ‘good’ ground point.

The fuel pump neg(-) is at the parking brake mount. Homerun to the fuel pump iirc

Freshen your batt/block/firewall grounds and clean up the pkng. brake ground point. Those should be done as a rule and if that ain’t the solution then it’s the tank or wires to/from the pump
Jeepereno likes this.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #9 of 9 Old 04-07-2021, 11:31 PM
Jeepereno
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Amazing how many issues are resolved by a decent ground.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in