1Likes
  • 1 Post By Boojo35

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-28-2021, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
yjcharlie

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Correct ball joints

Hey all,
I've replaced the ball joints on my jeep yj dana 30 around 6 months ago. I noticed the top ball joint doesnt pivot but telescopes.
I picked up another full dana 30 because I want the 3:07 ratio it has. In prepping this axle I ordered new ball joints for it.
This new top ones does pivot like the bottom one. Is this still usable?

Here is the rockauto description:

DANA 40112 {#03820872} Spicer Info
Front Upper; Replaces OE Part Number(s) 03820872, 5950542; with Dana 30 Axle; with Reverse Rotation

So, is this the wrong style of ball joint for my yj? Sadly now I do see the others that say telescoping.
Why the heck would rock sell this for a dana 30 axle for my year jeep if it's the wrong one?

Also, I got the DANA 40113 for the lowers, I wonder if thats wrong as well?
Thanks, sorry if I seem *****y, its jut now I have to go through the motions of returning them and then waiting on the right ones to come in if these are wrong.
I wish local parts stores were even somewhat close on price, but they aren't.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-28-2021, 07:22 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Show me a link of a telescoping ball joint. I have no idea what you are talking about..... Especially if listed on a parts site. A link would help.

Ball joints pivot in all directions to a pretty damn decent degree. I is how they flex through suspension and steering travel. That is normal.

Your description of telescoping though means to me an ball joint that has measurable wear like as in up and down. If so, It is garbage.

Still, send a parts link that describes a telescoping ball joint.
Siva283 likes this.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-29-2021, 05:41 AM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, the upper telescopes. It's meant to adjust for wear in the lower and minor differences in axle 'C' ends. A slight ball action in the upper also allows for the use of an offset lower to adjust camber or castor.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" Patagonia M/Ts, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old 07-29-2021, 06:13 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
^^^granted I’ve not done many YJ ball joints. But I like to think I’m moderately knowledgeable. Because it’s jeeperdon I’ll take him at his word.

I never knew this was a thing!

It makes sense - though it does basically put 100% of the vertical on the lower ball joint. Knowing this makes me feel like the D30 C is diminutive. LOL

[size=ď3Ē]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #5 of 11 Old 07-29-2021, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
yjcharlie

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
^^^granted Iíve not done many YJ ball joints. But I like to think Iím moderately knowledgeable. Because itís jeeperdon Iíll take him at his word.

I never knew this was a thing!

It makes sense - though it does basically put 100% of the vertical on the lower ball joint. Knowing this makes me feel like the D30 C is diminutive. LOL

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ll+joint,10070

on this page you will see both.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-29-2021, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
yjcharlie

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Yes, the upper telescopes. It's meant to adjust for wear in the lower and minor differences in axle 'C' ends. A slight ball action in the upper also allows for the use of an offset lower to adjust camber or castor.

The ones I've installed have zero movement side to side. I did see some for the caster/camber changes though.

So Don, do you think these upper ball joints would be ok, or should I stick to the telescoping ones?

I haven't removed the old ones yet to even verify if they would fit though.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-29-2021, 11:23 AM
JeeperDon

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjcharlie View Post
The ones I've installed have zero movement side to side. I did see some for the caster/camber changes though. So Don, do you think these upper ball joints would be ok, or should I stick to the telescoping ones? I haven't removed the old ones yet to even verify if they would fit though.
The upper joint side to side movement isn't critical, it's not a full ball assembly like the lower. It only really needs a degree or two of side motion. The ones you saw for camber/castor are offset. If you want to correct camber/castor you can do it in either the upper or lower joint, depending on brand. My right wheel needs the camber adjusted, since forever. I've used offset joints on top or bottom over the years, the current set have the lower doing the adjusting.

To me, you're overthinking all this a bit, at least I never dug that deep into the selection in my 60 wrenching years. I just go with the features I want, like greaseable or not, and which brands I trust.

If you have not already, do yourself a favor and buy this kit. I adds to a regular ball joint press kit and makes the job a LOT easier.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" Patagonia M/Ts, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA.
Web Admin for

post #8 of 11 Old 07-29-2021, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
yjcharlie

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The upper joint side to side movement isn't critical, it's not a full ball assembly like the lower. It only really needs a degree or two of side motion. The ones you saw for camber/castor are offset. If you want to correct camber/castor you can do it in either the upper or lower joint, depending on brand. My right wheel needs the camber adjusted, since forever. I've used offset joints on top or bottom over the years, the current set have the lower doing the adjusting.

To me, you're overthinking all this a bit, at least I never dug that deep into the selection in my 60 wrenching years. I just go with the features I want, like greaseable or not, and which brands I trust.

If you have not already, do yourself a favor and buy this kit. I adds to a regular ball joint press kit and makes the job a LOT easier.
So you would install an upper ball joint that has this much side to side movement in your YJ?
Attached Thumbnails
upper.jpg  
post #9 of 11 Old 07-29-2021, 01:51 PM
JeeperDon

1993 YJ Wrangler 

That photo looks like a lower ball joint, which does not telescope and presses in upward from below the C.

Web Admin for

post #10 of 11 Old 07-29-2021, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
yjcharlie

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That photo looks like a lower ball joint, which does not telescope and presses in upward from below the C.
Agreed,
I think I see what they did now. Though the part number is 40112, and right on the website is says for dana 30, on this packaging box it says the same part number, but also shows D-44....probably meant for a dana 44 axle...rockauto can be painful at times.
Mystery solved, thx!
post #11 of 11 Old 07-29-2021, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
yjcharlie

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Just ordered that from Amazon, thanks for the link and info! Anything to make the ball joint replacement easier is worth it to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in