Coolant overflow boiling! Need help. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-01-2015, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
rleff34
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Coolant overflow boiling! Need help.

Went pretty hard in the mud last night (enough to make my jeep now idle roughly ~75% of the time idling and what is probably mud in the clutch causing it to slip some)
Today I drove ~15 minutes to eat, then on the way home (an hour or two later) after only about 10 minutes of driving, I glanced down to see my temp guage max-ed out. Pulled over, and the coolant overflow reservoir was at a rolling boil also causing coolant to make steam and a puddle of coolant building on the ground. The radiator cap was not releasing any pressure. I also noticed the back of the radiator (facing the engine, in front of the fan) was caked with mud possibly causing it to heat up so much. I'm going to try flushing my entire coolant system and cleaning the radiator and replacing the cap, but please lead me in the right direction of fixing it. Thanks guys
(93 YJ Sahara, 4.0, 6spd, yadda yadda)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-01-2015, 03:41 PM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Lemme get this out of the way... I hate mud.
Having said that, no air flow equals a very hot tank. Since you saw a rolling boil in the overflow, that leads me to believe that your cap is in fact working otherwise it would not have happened. It's cheap insurance to replace it just the same. You're on the right track as far as clearing all of the fins on the radiator. Stay out of the mud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-01-2015, 04:51 PM
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Your rad cap is working proper from the sounds of it. As mentioned, plugged up rad cores will fast cause the overheat. Easy fix anyway. There might be an inspection plate on the clutch you can open to get a pressure washer in there, have someone work the pedal when washing. And Never dump the clutch in a mud bog! You gotta be in the right gear first and go for it, no shifting.
Your back brake drums likely need cleaning out also and you need to grease all the grease nipples. I get amazing amounts of water out of pretty much everything greasable after a wet run.
Mud also = liquid sandpaper, it can polish up the fan belt pretty good making it slip and it eats the seals out if the fan clutch, so wash that area too.
Also be very aware that Jeeps don't have a high water vent on the tranny, if you were in deep, the fluid needs checking.
Mud running can get expensive and is a pain to clean up after, but it is fun. :-)

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(10 new albums added Sept 16/10)

post #4 of 4 Old 09-08-2015, 10:54 AM
SailerMatt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleff34 View Post
Went pretty hard in the mud last night (enough to make my jeep now idle roughly ~75% of the time idling and what is probably mud in the clutch causing it to slip some)
Today I drove ~15 minutes to eat, then on the way home (an hour or two later) after only about 10 minutes of driving, I glanced down to see my temp guage max-ed out. Pulled over, and the coolant overflow reservoir was at a rolling boil also causing coolant to make steam and a puddle of coolant building on the ground. The radiator cap was not releasing any pressure. I also noticed the back of the radiator (facing the engine, in front of the fan) was caked with mud possibly causing it to heat up so much. I'm going to try flushing my entire coolant system and cleaning the radiator and replacing the cap, but please lead me in the right direction of fixing it. Thanks guys
(93 YJ Sahara, 4.0, 6spd, yadda yadda)

Clean alllll the mud from your engine and underbody. Pain in the a**. You'll be driving down the road three months later and have a chunk of mud fall out from your Jeep

I don't know if it was boiling, or just letting off steam into the coolant by the breather tube making it bubble.

Nevertheless, you've got the idea right. Good thing pulling over quickly and letting the engine cool down. Give it a good scrub and replace the cap. Just a couple of bucks...

If you want to keep going through mud, raise your vent lines from both diffs and the tranny to your airbox. Its cheap and helps keep mud/water out. If your diff cover seals are bad in any way, then take off the covers and replace the fluid.

Tags
boiling , coolant , mud , overheating , radiator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in