Coolant Leaking from heater core drainage tube - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-01-2014, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Martinezjohn
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Coolant Leaking from heater core drainage tube

I have a 91 Jeep Wrangler and I've noticed that coolant is leaking from a drainage hose located near the firewall below the heater box. Should coolant be leaking from here, if not what is causing the leakage. I'm thinking it's the heating core element.

Thanks John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-01-2014, 10:43 AM
jokerchief462

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Heater core for sure

Sent from underneath my Jeep

89YJ 2.5L TBI, AX-5, NP231 SYE, Ford 8.8, Yukon Grizzly, Tom Woods Shaft, 33" BFG T/As, 4" lift, Warn VR10000s.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
post #3 of 13 Old 11-01-2014, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Martinezjohn
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. Any idea the cost to have the core reconditioned? Is it hard to remove the heater core?

post #4 of 13 Old 11-01-2014, 11:11 AM
1320yj

Heater cores are not really worth repairing a brand new should be less than $75.00.
Yes the hole heater case will have to be removed for replacement.

1995 2.5 5 Speed SOA +2.5 rough Country lift, High steer kit , 33x12.50 Mud Rovers
post #5 of 13 Old 11-01-2014, 02:31 PM
Jeepsr4me

Plenty of Youtube vids on how to pull it. Get a new one as the old has just worn out and no real cheap way to fix the thinning of the walls of the tubes.

While you got it apart you can clean out the ac box and get all the leaves and crud out. You will be amazed at how much better the system works once you get it back together.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-01-2014, 02:55 PM
AKYota
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just upgraded my blower yesterday. Search and there are several very good threads. I'd post them but on my phone right now. If dealing with heater core make sure you get new bracket that holds it in place. Someone said theirs was welded to the original core the the new core didn't have it. My bracket was screwed in, not welded. Be prepaired and it won't be hard. Just time consuming.

Shannon Rafferty
Kenai, Alaska
1999 Toyota 4Runner
1990 Jeep YJ Wrangler
post #7 of 13 Old 11-01-2014, 06:36 PM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinezjohn View Post
I have a 91 Jeep Wrangler and I've noticed that coolant is leaking from a drainage hose located near the firewall below the heater box. Should coolant be leaking from here, if not what is causing the leakage. I'm thinking it's the heating core element.

Thanks John
Am I learning something new here? Heater core drainage hose?
Any chance you can post a pic of where the fluid is coming from and are you sure it's coolant? You do have a cowl drain in that neighborhood, but if it's green it's your core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-01-2014, 07:57 PM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I assume two things:
1.) When you say "Heater Core Drainage Hose" you mean heater core return hose
2.) You are in Southern California where the weather is always warm.

If these are both the case, consider a temporary fix:
Pull both heater core hoses and connect them together with a hose splice. You won't have a cabin heater, but you'll stop losing coolant and can keep driving.

A hose splice looks like this:

Or like this:
post #9 of 13 Old 11-02-2014, 05:07 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I believe there is a 5/8" 90 degree hose at the bottom of the heater box on firewall below battery tray. I think that is what he's referring to.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #10 of 13 Old 11-02-2014, 07:46 AM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
I believe there is a 5/8" 90 degree hose at the bottom of the heater box on firewall below battery tray. I think that is what he's referring to.
Yes. The heater box has a short nipple on the bottom that protrudes through the firewall. A short molded elbow just slips on that nipple after the box is installed, but I would guess the rubber elbow is often missing.

Here is a pic of mine when I had it out.

Rockauto.com has a good selection of heater cores. Pay a little more and get one that has the bracket welded on like the OEM does. The cheaper ones just bounce around in there. Unfortunately I didn't know and got a cheap one. So I figure I will be doing the job again someday. The bracket looks like this.

Bill

1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2" lift + 1" BL + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-02-2014, 05:39 PM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance

1993 YJ Wrangler 

So the elbow drain is so that the housing doesn't fill when the core fails. Got it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-02-2014, 07:31 PM
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here is what I used to bypass the heater core. It was hanging on the wall at the autoparts store.
Dorman Help! 47080 Heater Hose Connector
Attached Thumbnails
JeepHeaterFix.jpg  
post #13 of 13 Old 11-02-2014, 07:33 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtKar View Post
So the elbow drain is so that the housing doesn't fill when the core fails. Got it!
I think its real purpose is to drain condensation. But if coolant is dripping out of it, that is a dead giveaway of a core leak.

Bill

1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2" lift + 1" BL + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in