Coolant bottle question - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 11-15-2021, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
tommbstone
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Coolant bottle question

If this is a repost please beat me.

I'm looking for ideas for an aftermarket coolant bottle.

Thx guys. I'm searching the google world as well

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 11-15-2021, 10:49 AM
grandboost98

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Any reason not to stick with the stock one? Theyre actually pretty simple to make. Ive used a powerade bottle before to get me by for a bit. Autozone and the like also sell universal ones

89 Wrangler-3.5" HD BDS lift,M.O.R.E HD 5/8" booms on 35" KM2s
99 Cherokee-2 door,5" lift on 35" KM2s
04 Grand Cherokee Overland
72 Chevy Nova-in progress

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 33 Old 11-16-2021, 11:36 AM
gehlsurf

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
There's this. It's too pretty to go in my engine bay though, lol. I'm not sure if the purpose for it, though, except to look cool, if I rebuilt my stuff, I'd maybe get one, not gonna lie. Performance wise, not really sure.

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Expa.../dp/B07K9DTDR4

post #4 of 33 Old 11-19-2021, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
tommbstone
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
Any reason not to stick with the stock one? Theyre actually pretty simple to make. Ive used a powerade bottle before to get me by for a bit. Autozone and the like also sell universal ones
The metal cloak inner moves it next to the power steering pump. only a butthole hair away from the pully now.
post #5 of 33 Old 11-19-2021, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
tommbstone
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehlsurf View Post
There's this. It's too pretty to go in my engine bay though, lol. I'm not sure if the purpose for it, though, except to look cool, if I rebuilt my stuff, I'd maybe get one, not gonna lie. Performance wise, not really sure.

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Expa.../dp/B07K9DTDR4
this mounts in the same spot. I was hoping for a different idea with the new location by metal cloak.
post #6 of 33 Old 11-19-2021, 07:30 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

you can mount them wherever you want... both theoretically and in practice.

I'm about to install inner fenders myself, so this is an interesting and relevant topic for me. I am going to try and re-use my OEM stuff on first go. Any reason you are worried about the proximity to a pulley? If MC instructs you to place it there, it should be fine.

i dont own nor have i looked into cloaks. if there are explicit instructions on where they have provided the provision for mounting, it's not like you HAVE to follow it... or do you? Get creative and use some spacial cognition and just make it work is what i would do. If it simply can't - i would go with an aftermarket aluminum reservoir that would work in saving space. The stock overflow is a LARGE jug, i'm unsure how much is the proper over flow amount of liquid that would go into it in a properly filled cooling system (i'm sure someone will chime in with that information). That said, get an aluminum aftermarket space saving reservoir that can hold whatever a properly filled cooling system for our jeeps would hold at its fullest mark.

My advice again is to stick with the OEM jugs if you can though.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JUL '19, NOV '21~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 33 Old 11-19-2021, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
tommbstone
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post

I'm about to install inner fenders myself, so this is an interesting and relevant topic for me. I am going to try and re-use my OEM stuff on first go. Any reason you are worried about the proximity to a pulley? If MC instructs you to place it there, it should be fine.

i dont own nor have i looked into cloaks. if there are explicit instructions on where they have provided the provision for mounting, it's not like you HAVE to follow it... or do you? Get creative and use some spacial cognition and just make it work is what i would do. If it simply can't - i would go with an aftermarket aluminum reservoir that would work in saving space. The stock overflow is a LARGE jug, i'm unsure how much is the proper over flow amount of liquid that would go into it in a properly filled cooling system (i'm sure someone will chime in with that information). That said, get an aluminum aftermarket space saving reservoir that can hold whatever a properly filled cooling system for our jeeps would hold at its fullest mark.

I'm going to look at it closer tomorrow. The engine should torque away from the bottle but its really close. MC has pre drilled holes so everything fits back but if I can get the bottle to maybe lay flatter on the mounts??? Again I'll look it over again tomorrow.
post #8 of 33 Old 11-20-2021, 04:54 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommbstone View Post
The metal cloak inner moves it next to the power steering pump. only a butthole hair away from the pully now.
I don't have a pic handy, I'll try and remember to snap one tomorrow, but I don't remember mine being anywhere near hitting the PS pulley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #9 of 33 Old 11-20-2021, 08:47 AM
Boojo35
Web Wheeler
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:

It is in no way a fixed amount of coolant from system to system. Lets say you have a 1 gallon capacity system vs a 3 gallon capacity system. The coolant will expand when heated and it will be a percentage amount for a given temp. So a 3 gallon system would need more expansion room than a one gallon system. If I were to make a custom reservoir I would start by either using the factory reservoir and measuring the amount of coolant that it holds when at both the full cold and hot lines and design it from there.

The other suggestion I have is to make sure that the radiator is full to the top on a cold engine. A radiator cap has two seals in it. One that seals to the top of the neck and the other seals down inside the neck at the bottom. If you remove the bottom seal so the system will expand freely to the overflow and not be pressurized and run the engine up to temp with a reservoir of some sort attached be it a bottle or whatever. Once up to full temp after a long time running where the radiator is at full temp, the thermostat is wide open and no longer cycling, in other words it is as hot as it will ever get under normal conditions (I am kinda beating this into the ground because your full cooling system takes longer to get to temp than the gauge does. A car can be at 200 degrees and have a radiator that is no where near fully warmed up). Anyways, at this point and time you should be able to measure your expansion amount and then you would want to add another pint or quart at least to that amount so your new reservoir would never be completely empty.

I would not be comfortable with a pulley that rides super close. Yes the motor rocks away on acceleration but for instance on deceleration when in gear and engine braking the motor will tend to rock the opposite way a tad.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #10 of 33 Old 11-20-2021, 08:59 AM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
I would not be comfortable with a pulley that rides super close. Yes the motor rocks away on acceleration but for instance on deceleration when in gear and engine braking the motor will tend to rock the opposite way a tad.
i wouldn't be either... but i have unfortunate luck with theoreticals that are on my side rearing an ugly head in practice lol

Thing is, if i am metalcloak, i dont think i run the risk of providing you a specified provisioned location to mount something as vital as a coolant reservoir in an area where there is a major risk of contact/failure.

Again, if i had cloaks and that was the design and i felt a little iffy about it, i would just relocate it another inch back and adjust everything to make it work. But that's me.

post #11 of 33 Old 11-20-2021, 09:08 AM
Boojo35
Web Wheeler
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
i wouldn't be either... but i have unfortunate luck with theoreticals that are on my side rearing an ugly head in practice lol

Thing is, if i am metalcloak, i dont think i run the risk of providing you a specified provisioned location to mount something as vital as a coolant reservoir in an area where there is a major risk of contact/failure.

Again, if i had cloaks and that was the design and i felt a little iffy about it, i would just relocate it another inch back and adjust everything to make it work. But that's me.
Your luck and mine appear to be one in the same. Your way of not challenging that luck and mine also appear one in the same. I also would relocate it if I felt even the slightest risk was possible.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #12 of 33 Old 11-20-2021, 12:28 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

i suppose we need a tolerance metric here....

if the original poster would just post a picture of what he deems dangerously close to the pulley, we'd be able to get somewhere much quicker.

Now dont get me wrong Booj, it's not that i do not enjoy retorting in discourse or agreement with you thread after thread after thread... i rather enjoy it. But if these threads are only going to satisfy us and our need for discussion - i might as well swing by your place and we can start installing that waggy 44 into my jeep and my locked and loaded D30 into your jeep (see what i did there?)

OP: please post a picture of what you think is too close

post #13 of 33 Old 11-20-2021, 03:17 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

So without a pic of your setup it's hard to say, but I don't know why yours would be that close. Here's mine on MC fenders, not even remotely close to touching.

Quote:
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #14 of 33 Old 11-20-2021, 07:08 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

https://metalcloak.com/

It gets relocated with the new fenders.

Quote:
post #15 of 33 Old 11-20-2021, 07:10 PM
gehlsurf

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Ok, sorry guys, I'm a *******, just looked up MC and cloak, lol. Ok, again, sorry.

Damn OP, good question, I didn't realize those fenders did that. You could install the bottle where the factory had it, drill I to the new fender and rivet nut the fender, or put rivet nuts into the bottle and bolt from the outside, then a nut once through the rivet nut just to make sure. This would leave a clean look (minus 2 or 3 bolt heads) from the outside.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in