Confused, How does a Temp Sensor Switch Work? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 07-19-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Vernors
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Confused, How does a Temp Sensor Switch Work?

I think I'm understanding this, but possibly not. I thought it was as follows.

2 Step sensor, example.

Water temp rises to 195 Degrees, the low side of the temp sensor kicks the fan on and it drops the water temp to 185 then turns off. Stage two, if the water temp hits 205 Degrees despite the Low side already running and the sensor tells the Fan to turn off "low" and then turn on "High" at 205. It then turns off when the temp lowers to lets say 190 or 185.

Assuming the above is correct, how do I read the following?

Original Specs:

Item Name: Radiator Fan Temperature Switch
Part Brand: MEAT & DORIA
OEM Numbers: 0015403045 / 50413 / A0015403045
Specification: 2x normally open
For OE number: 001 540 30 45
Switch Point [degree Celsius]: 105 (degrees Celsius)
Spanner Size: 29 mm
Thread Size: M22x1.5 mm
Connector Shape: Oval
Socket color: Black
Shut-off Point [degree Celsius]: 100 (degrees Celsius)
Opening Temperature [degree Celsius]: 90 (degrees Celsius)
Closing temperature [degree Celsius]: 95 (degrees Celsius)
Number of Poles: 3 terminal

-------

Low Fan Speed triggered:
Sensor triggers Low Speed fan at 194
Sensor Turns off Low Speed fan at 203

Sensor Turns on High Speed fan at 221
Sensor Turns off High Speed Fan at 212

If the above is correct, the sensor has a degree range where it doesn't have the fan on either Low or High, which would be 203-221. Is that how it's supposed to work?

Thanks,
Vernors

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-19-2019, 04:21 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
sure seems right, based on that. seems like kind of a big gap.

Personally I have mine on auto for the low speed only and if I'm crawling or it's hot for some other reason click on high manually.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-19-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Vernors
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
sure seems right, based on that. seems like kind of a big gap.

Personally I have mine on auto for the low speed only and if I'm crawling or it's hot for some other reason click on high manually.
Makes sense, I've only wired an on/off switch to mine and have been planning to let the system select low or high as needed.

Yeah, I have no idea why there would be a gap like that.....so I assume that I am just not reading it right.

post #4 of 13 Old 07-19-2019, 06:57 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Not sure what system you are running. Definitely not stock though. Fan should go from low to high speed seamlessly or the system is not designed properly. Once a fan is needed it is needed. No reason to shut it off and wait for the high speed. That is just stupid. The only reason to shut it off once requested by temp is that the vehicle speed surpassed a certain MPH which makes natural airflow across the radiator more efficient than if being slowed down by running into a fan that is not as efficient at that speed. Hope that makes sense. Fans under power at higher speeds can hinder cooling by starting to create a "wall" against natural air coming through the radiator.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-19-2019, 08:07 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
Not sure what system you are running. Definitely not stock though. Fan should go from low to high speed seamlessly or the system is not designed properly. Once a fan is needed it is needed. No reason to shut it off and wait for the high speed. That is just stupid. The only reason to shut it off once requested by temp is that the vehicle speed surpassed a certain MPH which makes natural airflow across the radiator more efficient than if being slowed down by running into a fan that is not as efficient at that speed. Hope that makes sense. Fans under power at higher speeds can hinder cooling by starting to create a "wall" against natural air coming through the radiator.
wild guess but maybe that switch is for a system with more than one fan?

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-19-2019, 08:35 PM
1project2many
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Low Fan Speed triggered:
Sensor triggers Low Speed fan at 194
Sensor Turns off Low Speed fan at 203
This definietly does not seem right. As said previously, a fan switch for a cooling fan should never turn the fan off if system temperature rises above the setpoint. Correct operation should be:

Sensor turns on Low Speed fan at 203
Sensor Turns off Low Speed fan at 194

I found some Mercedes systems using a fan switch with the numbers you listed. The switch would turn a fan on if engine temperature rose above the first setpoint. The switch would inhibit A/C compressor operation if engine temp continued to rise past the second setpoint. You may want to confirm the on and off functions of your switch.

Are you sure the sensor you're using is off at 203?
post #7 of 13 Old 07-22-2019, 06:05 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
This definietly does not seem right. As said previously, a fan switch for a cooling fan should never turn the fan off if system temperature rises above the setpoint. Correct operation should be:

Sensor turns on Low Speed fan at 203
Sensor Turns off Low Speed fan at 194

I found some Mercedes systems using a fan switch with the numbers you listed. The switch would turn a fan on if engine temperature rose above the first setpoint. The switch would inhibit A/C compressor operation if engine temp continued to rise past the second setpoint. You may want to confirm the on and off functions of your switch.

Are you sure the sensor you're using is off at 203?

Manny has it correct.

sender turns fan ON at 203 (ish) then OFF as it cools to 195 ish...

The Beck Arnley 201-1266 sender often used w a 2 speed taurus fan is 205-210 low speed and approx 215-220 Hi speed and off at 195. Works fine,

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #8 of 13 Old 07-29-2019, 12:30 PM
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
The fan I have has three wires. and the low speed positive is energized all the time after 195. The high side wire energizes at the higher temp. If you only use one set regardless of which hot lead you use it is low speed. High speed uses a supplemental set of windings. Yours may be different though.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-29-2019, 05:16 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

To the OP: you should delete this post as its redundant to your other one...

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED

SOLD

style intake
post #10 of 13 Old 07-30-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Vernors
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sure, I'm good with deleting this one. How? I checked and do not see any option to do so. I am on a free account.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-01-2019, 07:12 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernors View Post
Sure, I'm good with deleting this one. How? I checked and do not see any option to do so. I am on a free account.
Top of the page, in post #1, "Thread tools" click and should be an option under it.... show printable version, unsubscribe and delete

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED

SOLD

style intake
post #12 of 13 Old 08-02-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Vernors
1988 YJ Wrangler 

That's where I thought it would be, but not for me. Basic account must not allow it, my choices are Show Printable Version, Email this page, unsubscribe....and I'm logged in.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-02-2019, 10:30 AM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Oh well... Thanks for the effort... Id just go to your first post and "edit" cut the info out and paste in the link to your other thread with something like " see other thread, this one is dead" ... It just keeps all your wanted info in one thread... or email a MOD and have them do it... no biggie if you can't

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED

SOLD

style intake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in