Coilover Charge Kit - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 07-20-2021, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Coilover Charge Kit

Anyone here build their own nitrogen charge kit? Or do you guys all just have deep pockets? I've seen some different parts and pieces online for building your own, but I supposed I'm too dumb to figure out what I actually need and how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-20-2021, 10:01 PM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ehhhh... I know it can be done and I was looking at it but was struggling to justify it. Had a buddy fill two of my shocks with nitrogen after about the 5th-6th iteration of shock valving. I haven't gone back to him for my front shocks though. I used a mountain bike shock pump for the valving tests but still running air in the fronts. I drive on the road occasionally and haven't noticed a difference between the front with air and the rear with nitrogen. The humidity might be an issue but at the same time, the humidity is in an oil bath so meh... Maybe one day I'll get my buddy to do fill my fronts with nitrogen but it's not real high on my priority list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 Old 07-21-2021, 09:00 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Uhm. Nitrogen is kinda a scam IMO. Air is already about 78 percent nitrogen.

Extreme stuff like NASCAR... It can make a difference in tire pressure rise through temp and stuff but Nitrogen is way overrated and a money grab in general.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.

post #4 of 17 Old 07-21-2021, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The issue (from what the internet says....) with running air is moisture. I know there are places around me where I can get them filled when I get to that point, I'm just thinking if it can be done cost effectively then I might give it a go. Of course then I become the guy everyone going to CO's around here will call.

Quote:
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-21-2021, 10:09 PM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I’ve been thinking about picking one up this winter but now I don’t know if I’m going to redo my rebound shim stack so it might wait on spring when I’m getting ready again
post #6 of 17 Old 07-21-2021, 11:07 PM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
Uhm. Nitrogen is kinda a scam IMO. Air is already about 78 percent nitrogen.

Extreme stuff like NASCAR... It can make a difference in tire pressure rise through temp and stuff but Nitrogen is way overrated and a money grab in general.
Nitrogen in tires is definitely a scam for any kind of normal street vehicle and even most racecars short of higher end cars pushing the limit. Nitrogen in shocks is a totally different animal though and that's coming from a guy who isn't running nitrogen in my front shocks.

Ultimately, it comes down to usage though. If you're slowly rock crawling, you'd never notice. If you're driving 5-10 miles down the road, you probably won't notice either. If you start driving on a rough gravel road for a few minutes, those shocks are going to get really hot and the air will change the shock behavior more than nitrogen. The moisture in regular air is very small and going to mix with the oil pretty quickly and I think it could eventually separate if allowed to sit long enough. However, if the outside of my shock body isn't rusting, I have a hard time believing the inside is rusting when regularly exposed to oil.

If I could get a nitrogen setup for under $100, I'd probably consider it but that might be tough.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
timatoe likes this.

post #7 of 17 Old 07-22-2021, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

You read my mind, under $100..... More than that I start questioning if I really need it.

Quote:
post #8 of 17 Old 07-22-2021, 02:04 PM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

This is basically what I have. It's a no loss fitting so whatever you pump the shock to is what it stays at when disconnected. Of course, if you reconnect it, there will be a loss due to the air pressure filling the hose. I think it takes about 2-3 minutes to fill a 14" shock but it sure beats a $500+ nitrogen kit than I then have to go to a welding store to get filled.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081R6S78D/ref=emc_b_5_t
timatoe likes this.

post #9 of 17 Old 07-23-2021, 10:56 AM
Randonexplosion
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I've seen guys build their own setup over on Pirate. I just bought the single fill kit from Poly Performance. I was already on a timeline building a Jeep, I didn't feel like screwing with building a nitrogen setup.
timatoe likes this.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward,
whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant "If I live I will kill you, if I die you are forgiven". Such is the rule of honor - Omerta
post #10 of 17 Old 07-24-2021, 04:18 PM
bgredjeep

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I spent around $150 for a kit from ebay. It works fine. Came with the no loss chuck but I swapped to a regular chuck. It's easier to deal with and it's not like I'm doing anything that'll show off a couple psi difference.

I don't even know the exact pressures I run in the rear air shocks. I just hit it with around 200 extended then bleed off pressure to get the ride height where i want it. Lol
timatoe likes this.

post #11 of 17 Old 07-24-2021, 04:35 PM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Good info in this. I think I will just buy a king fill manifold myself but the rest of it would be easy to put together.

https://www.diymotofix.com/blog/how-...d-fill-station
post #12 of 17 Old 07-24-2021, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
Good info in this. I think I will just buy a king fill manifold myself but the rest of it would be easy to put together.

https://www.diymotofix.com/blog/how-...d-fill-station
I read through that before but wasn't really following what I would and would not need for sure. Seems the King manifold with the Vet discount through PP would be cheaper than he built his for. Then it's the regulator, bottle and hose.

Maybe I should see if I can come across anymore CO2 bottles for beer taps. When I got my second welding bottle I had three old CO2's that I traded for a new 80 weld bottle and just paid for the gas.

Quote:
post #13 of 17 Old 07-24-2021, 08:47 PM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That’s what I was thinking, the manifolds are inexpensive. The bottle of nitrogen will be a little bit at my gas place but not to bad, probably less then $100 so I’ll just do it and use it for my trailer tires and such. Lol! I wonder if I could use my Argon?
post #14 of 17 Old 07-24-2021, 10:27 PM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
Thatís what I was thinking, the manifolds are inexpensive. The bottle of nitrogen will be a little bit at my gas place but not to bad, probably less then $100 so Iíll just do it and use it for my trailer tires and such. Lol! I wonder if I could use my Argon?
You bring up an interesting point that peaked my curiosity. Pure argon is fairly expensive but given how much would be used, it'd be nearly free to fill up a shock if you already have the tank and gas. For the sake of argument, argon changes less than nitrogen and of course nitrogen changes less than air. Argon also has a bigger molecule size than nitrogen so if you're of the opinion that the bigger nitrogen molecule is the magic behind why it's used in tires, then argon is better still. The 3 gases are probably all close enough to be indistinguishable in all but the most severe conditions but thought I'd throw that out there since I looked. Maybe I should look into a fill setup to use my argon tank.

post #15 of 17 Old 07-25-2021, 09:51 AM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well looks like a quick internet search is in order. I’m on it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in