Clutch Pedal Frozen Need tech help - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-08-2009, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
for-play
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Clutch Pedal Frozen Need tech help

While shifting several months ago the clutch pedal locked up. Not a fluid type lock up but it felt like metal on metal. There was no play and I was damn near standing on it and it didn't move. I wiggled the pedal with my toe and it seemed to come undone and work right.

Move to today. Sitting in the drive through, depress the clutch and feel a couple of clicks in my left foot, transmitted through the pedal. Move up in line, try to push in the pedal, no joy, pedal locked up, jeep in first, trying not to crash into the car ahead of me while ripping it out of gear. I'm stuck there for a few minutes with the rigid pedal, can't put it into gear. I fool with it for a few minutes more and it starts to work.

I limped it into work and when I parked the pedal was frozen again. While having a co-worker sit and tap on the pedal, it eventually came free again. I had my hand on the master cyl and could feel something snapping and clicking in there, then it would lock up.

Any ideas what is broken? I will be doing a parking lot repair in the morning.

Help!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

That's exactly what my '91 did! The spring inside the master cylinder broke about 1/3 of the way from one end. The break left a sharp point that would dig into the side of the OE plastic cylinder & bind the pedal up as hard as a rock.

You need a master cylinder. Try Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto for a low price on a new one.

After replacing it, open up the old one & post up a pic of the spring if you can please. I never got a pic of mine.

Here's a write-up I did on master cylinder replacement.

Clutch master cylinder replacement

Max

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-08-2009, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
for-play
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Max,
I just got done swapping out the master and bleeding the system. I read your mc post before I posted the question and with your directions I was done in 40 minutes from the first turn of the wrench to the last drop of fluid. It sucked that I had to do it in a gravel and seashell parking lot.

When I got home I stripped the old mc down and the spring was broken into three pieces. It was obvious by looking at the bore that the tips were digging into the sides exactly as you described.

I am 240 lbs and couldn't move that little piece of wire!!! It was like someone had bolted the pedal in the up position.

Tomorrow at work I will post the pics or links to them anyhow. Feel free to use them and add to your tech thread if you like.
Thanks for the reply.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-08-2009, 07:39 PM
buckshot500
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Dang Max!!!!

You got yet another one dead balls right!

Way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5point1 View Post
Well after I drained the oil, I ran water through the engine to clean out the gunk. (the guy who owned before me obvioulsy didn't know how to maintain the engine).

90YJ98XJ
post #5 of 10 Old 09-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by for-play View Post
Max,
I just got done swapping out the master and bleeding the system. I read your mc post before I posted the question and with your directions I was done in 40 minutes from the first turn of the wrench to the last drop of fluid. It sucked that I had to do it in a gravel and seashell parking lot.

When I got home I stripped the old mc down and the spring was broken into three pieces. It was obvious by looking at the bore that the tips were digging into the sides exactly as you described.

I am 240 lbs and couldn't move that little piece of wire!!! It was like someone had bolted the pedal in the up position.

Tomorrow at work I will post the pics or links to them anyhow. Feel free to use them and add to your tech thread if you like.
Thanks for the reply.
Glad you got it going! At the time it happened to me, I couldn't even find 1 person that had ever heard of such a thing! But since then I've seen it around here a few times. Please do post the pics, I would love to be able to use them in the future to help explain what goes on when the spring breaks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot500 View Post
Dang Max!!!!

You got yet another one dead balls right!

Way to go.
LOL! Thanks Buckshot! I guess even a blind squirrel gets a nut every once in a while, huh?
Max

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-09-2009, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
for-play
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Max,
Here are the photo links. Apparently I cannot post them as pics.

EDIT: Amazingly my synchros seemed to "heal" themselves overnight. No more 3 to 4, 4 to 3 grind and no double clutch into second. It is like having a new tranny. The stroke of the pedal has improved as well, it starts at the top now, not three inches down.

Piston assembly as removed from master cyl bore

Parts in relation to where they broke

Last edited by for-play; 09-09-2009 at 09:07 AM.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by for-play View Post
Max,
Here are the photo links. Apparently I cannot post them as pics.

Clicky-free!

Thanks for posting those!

Max

Quote:
Quote:

post #8 of 10 Old 11-24-2009, 08:59 AM
clean6xj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

thank you thank you thank you. (searched everywhere to find this thread.) Same problem. Clutch pedal locking up sometimes. I started to notice a clicking noise (from dashboard area) when depressing the clutch. Must be the broken spring. Much better than a worn throw-out bearing.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-22-2013, 04:55 PM
SteveEarls
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Got a YJ a month ago and driving around today, I got stiff pedal twice. Then just as weird as it shows up, its gone. And I have the light metallic rattling an dash. Im a tech but still new to yj's. My first is and still is, is my 2000 tj. These yjs are flimsy and delicate. Lol thanks again for good advise.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-07-2013, 09:34 PM
SteveEarls
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you guys!

Just wanted to put a word of thanks out to you guys. Im a tech but this is my first yj. Had the stiff pedal twice and looked it up. Heard the rattle in the dash. Looked it up here, dead on. Thanks for such a good resource. well damn. Have a pic but it wont dl from my phone. Same **** tho.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in