Clutch locking up? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-30-2011, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
devoX13
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have a '94 YJ with the 4.0L/AX-15 combo. Every now and then the clutch pedal locks up while driving down the road. I'm not sure what the problem is and the only solution I see is to just replace the clutch. Has this happened to anyone else?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-30-2011, 02:06 AM
monkeyhouse
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by devoX13 View Post
I have a '94 YJ with the 4.0L/AX-15 combo. Every now and then the clutch pedal locks up while driving down the road. I'm not sure what the problem is and the only solution I see is to just replace the clutch. Has this happened to anyone else?
pedal locks up as in stays at the floor after you push it in to change gears? if so, can you still continue to that next gear even though, the pedal seems to be not working? what happens afterward?

First Jeep was an 1989 YJ, I've also had a Grand Cherokee. Currently, I have a 99 XJ.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-30-2011, 02:07 AM
MJMPC

1991 YJ Wrangler 

The return spring in the clutch master may be broke

MIKE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-30-2011, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
devoX13
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhouse

pedal locks up as in stays at the floor after you push it in to change gears? if so, can you still continue to that next gear even though, the pedal seems to be not working? what happens afterward?
Pedal locks up as in I can't depress it. Lately it's to the point where I dont even bother using the clutch other than in first gear and to slow down
post #5 of 10 Old 07-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMPC
The return spring in the clutch master may be broke
This is DEFINITELY your problem. Replace the master cylinder, or replace the entire hydraulic system, either way your master cylinder is the cause of your issue.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-30-2011, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
devoX13
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I'm not familiar with any hydraulic clutch systems. Either way, thanks a lot.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-01-2011, 01:33 AM
jayvando707

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
This is DEFINITELY your problem. Replace the master cylinder, or replace the entire hydraulic system, either way your master cylinder is the cause of your issue.

Max

Yep! Apparently the rod inside the MC creates a groove and eventually catches and wont allow you to depress the clutch... Super common with Plastic MC's !!! I went to the part store and they offered a REMAN (plastic) or a NEW one (metal) with a Lifetime warranty for only 10 bucks more! No brainer, right?!

Also, it is super easy to replace.... the hardest part is getting the roll pin to come off the line on the MC....

Good Luck!

It is better to be tried by 12 than to be carried out by 6....
post #8 of 10 Old 08-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvando707

Yep! Apparently the rod inside the MC creates a groove and eventually catches and wont allow you to depress the clutch...
Not the rod. What happens is that the coiled spring breaks in two and the jagged end binds between the master cylinder wall & the piston. I've had it happen with both the metal & plastic body style master cylinders, but as you stated, it is definitely more common for the plastic version.

The FAQ's list a link for my master cylinder replacement writeup to assist anyone who might need it.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-01-2011, 03:22 PM
jayvando707

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Not the rod. What happens is that the coiled spring breaks in two and the jagged end binds between the master cylinder wall & the piston. I've had it happen with both the metal & plastic body style master cylinders, but as you stated, it is definitely more common for the plastic version.

The FAQ's list a link for my master cylinder replacement writeup to assist anyone who might need it.

Max
Always had my suspicions... A broken springs seems more plauasible! Thanks, I've learned something new!

It is better to be tried by 12 than to be carried out by 6....
post #10 of 10 Old 08-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvando707

Always had my suspicions... A broken springs seems more plauasible! Thanks, I've learned something new!
Yep, that's it. I've personally experienced it twice in my own Jeeps, and I've had a few duplicates come through my Jeep/4X4 shop as well with the same condition. Always the same problem.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in