Clocking the Speedometer Gear - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-17-2015, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
89WhyJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Clocking the Speedometer Gear

I'm replacing my speedo gear this afternoon (when Santa in the brown truck shows up), and I've got a question about clocking the gear. Most instructions I've seen say that you line up (rotate) the numbers on the adapter to the bump on the transfer case. I looked at my transfer case the other day, and there is no bump to line up with. The only other explanation I've seen says to line up the correct numbers on the adapter to the 6 o'clock position (towards the ground). Is this second explanation correct? I'm going to a 37 tooth gear, so I line up the set of numbers on the adapter (that covers 37) towards the ground? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-17-2015, 08:36 AM
Randonexplosion

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Take note of how it is currently oriented. What direction is your current set of numbers pointing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-17-2015, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
89WhyJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Good point. I'll have to look. I don't know if I can trust it though, since I think the PO monkey'd around with it. I believe the PO pulled the speedo cable at some point and didn't install it properly. So I don't know if he messed with the adapter as well.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-17-2015, 09:23 AM
Randonexplosion

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Does your speedometer work currently? Worst case you install it, it doesn't work so loosen it back up and rotate it until it works...

post #5 of 10 Old 07-17-2015, 10:17 AM
jokerchief462

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
It won't work if the plastic (blue) gear is messed upon the T-Case output shaft in the tail one.

Sent from underneath my Jeep

89YJ 2.5L TBI, AX-5, NP231 SYE, Ford 8.8, Yukon Grizzly, Tom Woods Shaft, 33" BFG T/As, 4" lift, Warn VR10000s.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
post #6 of 10 Old 07-17-2015, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
89WhyJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I took off the cable the other day and put a drill on it, and the speedometer does work. I figure when I swap the gear out, I'll able to check it out entirely. I just wanted to be sure when I put it back together, I do it properly.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-19-2015, 07:47 AM
sptrmike

1989 YJ Wrangler 

When I did mine I jacked up the rear end and supported the axle,removed the adapter and took the "o" ring off so it will rotate easier when put back in the case.With the Jeep in gear slowly rotate the tire by hand while turning the adapter until the gear is seated put a line on the case and adapter with a marker,put the "o"ring back on and while rotating the tire line your marks up and lock it down.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-19-2015, 09:30 PM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462 View Post
It won't work if the plastic (blue) gear is messed upon the T-Case output shaft in the tail one.

Sent from underneath my Jeep
That blue plastic gear you mention will be on an SYE T case shaft, the stock shaft will have a steel speedo gear cut into it.

Original steel/cut gear first photo, on original shaft. Second photo, blue plastic gear on SYE shaft.

89WhyJ, you're getting the right kind of advice on clocking your new gear. Two different type speedo gears in YJs, there is a long shaft version and a short shaft version. I can't remember what your year would use (I'm thinking long shaft version) hopefully you got sent the correct gear type for your application.

....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-20-2015, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
89WhyJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
That blue plastic gear you mention will be on an SYE T case shaft, the stock shaft will have a steel speedo gear cut into it.

Original steel/cut gear first photo, on original shaft. Second photo, blue plastic gear on SYE shaft.

89WhyJ, you're getting the right kind of advice on clocking your new gear. Two different type speedo gears in YJs, there is a long shaft version and a short shaft version. I can't remember what your year would use (I'm thinking long shaft version) hopefully you got sent the correct gear type for your application.
Yeah, I made sure to order the long shaft gear. So I got it apart Saturday morning, and swapped the gear out. I marked the current position of the adapter and then installed my 37 tooth gear. I started with the correct set of numbers pointing down, 6:00 position...where the adapter was positioned before I started. I ran out to grocery store with my phone's GPS speedometer app, and not only did the speedometer now work, it was dead on. I have no idea what the PO did that would make the speedo stop working. But it's so nice to not be tethered to my phone every time I go for a drive. Thanks for all the help everyone!
post #10 of 10 Old 07-20-2015, 11:14 AM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quite likely he had it clocked wrong.

....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in