Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Clifford 6=8 kit plus Holley Sniper

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  gehlsurf 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Sorry, haven't been on in a while, time flies!! Welp, I've been wanting to hop up the Jeep, lots of options, but got the tranny rebuilt, SYE, Double Cardegan sweater shaft, etc. Then, get the external slave mod done, damn, that was expensive, lol. Had it done, but glad I did. Since rebuilding the Tranny, that master slave has been replaced twice and the slave was going bad, so figured I'd make the jump to external for my future wallet. Point is, my wallet had been hurting, lol. But all worth it, my Jeep is built right, to my knowledge atleast, lol.

With that being said, and with more money finally NOT being spent, for now.... lol. I'd like to get back to fun stuff.

I wanted to do the 4.0 Head, I live like 20 minutes from Clearwater Heads, so lucky. I like Carburetors, I know, I'm weird, but hear me out.

My plan was to get a 4.0 head, I'll need new headers, why not go full gusto and get the Clifford's 6=8 kit with single 38/38 Weber. I have a Weber now, but 1 is none and 2 is 1, right? Or is there a cheaper/better way to go, like Offy and Pacesetter or something? Just seems like Clifford is a whole kit, so easier and meant to work with eachother.

I then thought, maybe down the road picking up a Holley Sniper and putting it on the Clifford Manifold. If something happens to the Sniper, throw back on my Carb in an hour, does this sound feasible?

Only problem I see is the fuel pump. If I get the Sniper and the higher flowing fuel pump, and say something happens, can I just put a fuel pressure regulator on the line and slap back on my Weber?

It may sound wierd, but I like that my Jeep can always be on the road, its my backup work truck, too. And I actually like that Carbs can be fairly dependable and easy to swap for trouble shooting, vs EFI, sensor bad? Computer program bad? Etc. And.... again, weirdo checking in, lol, Iike SHTF stuff, and Carbs play into that. Only computer like thing on there now is my DUI Distributor, and you guessed it, got a spare replacement still in the box in my shed. 1 is.... you know.

Thoughts? I know I can be the village idiot at times, lol. But sometimes I have good ideas, is this one?

Oh, at the time being, I'd like to not mess with a cam. One cool thing about the EFI, unless I'm mistaken, is that I can throw on a cam on down the road and it will automatically adjust? Unlike a carb, correct? Hence me asking about the fuel pressure regulator as well, if I get a cam, I can tune my spare carb as well then, too.

Thanks for any replies and helpful suggestions!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Ok, talked to Holley, nice dude named Eric. Said he's used the Clifford before and no bad things to say. Kinda seemed to like the idea.

But he doesn't like Webers, lol, no suprise.

Said a 3 lb FPR wouldnt handle the inline fuel pump, would have to bypass/hook back up the fuel line and go back to mechanical pump. Fair enough, and not hard to do, if needed.

He said I didn't sound crazy wanting a carb as a backup. Stated all the parts Sniper uses, fairly common to get, Bosch, GM, Chrysler parts etc. I reminded him it's 2021 and backlogs if things, he said, "fair point.... we have our own back orders of a ton of things.."

Now I'm gonna call Clifford, the trick is to see what Sniper kit will fit the Clifford manifold because it was made for a w barrel. In this sense, and Offy may make more sense, they are set up for 4 barrel out the gate.

#4 ·
Couldn't agree more, it's why I'd like to keep it swappable. Hell, even the guy I talked to at Holley agreed, Carbs are stupid simple to swap on and off to keep a vehicle running.

I don't think I'm going to have the Sniper control the timing either. That's what is kind of cool about it from an install viewpoint.

#5 ·
Going to embark on a top end build myself and cam/timing set replacment eventually. I have a 258 with a lot of miles lol and 2 of my valveguides are egg shaped. I got this from clearwater with the 1.55/2in valve upgrade. Going to use a holley 390 I modified like a truck avenger. I have no issues with the BBD but I am going to try something new. I just also did a HEI upgrade

#6 ·
Going to embark on a top end build myself and cam/timing set replacment eventually. I have a 258 with a lot of miles lol and 2 of my valveguides are egg shaped. I got this from clearwater with the 1.55/2in valve upgrade. Going to use a holley 390 I modified like a truck avenger. I have no issues with the BBD but I am going to try something new. I just also did a HEI upgrade

Oh, that's pretty sexy!!! If you dont mind me asking, which Offy did you go with? I dont have a part number for the 4.0 intakes, so have to assume your sticking with a 4.2 Offy intake?

And please school me on this 1.5/2" upgrade? I've never heard of it, just about the 4.0 head upgrade. Is there a reason to do that even if you arent doing a cam now? Only reason I don't want to do a cam is because I don't know what condition my block is in, although, I've heard it's fairly rare that they are in bad shape.

It's all kind of a toss up, one thing leads to the next, and "well, F it, while I'm in there..." lol, it's kinda hard to watch the budget, lol.

#8 ·
Thanks for the reply Princessj, sounds like we're not he same path, lol.

I agree, I have built everything behind the engine, mostly tranny, etc fir the I6, and to be honest, the fact that they last so long and such a work horse is why I want to keep it that way. I have a friend with many Jeeps, none just in I6, from super charged L6 to that Cummins bread truck engine, and I have much less issues than him lol.

I like the idea of more power, but lasting g a long time takes precedence, ti be honest. He has money, I don't, lol.

Not to mention, my YJ build is kind of "upgraded stock" form. It's honestly kind of rare here in FL to see a YJ that hasn't been treated like garbage and slaughtered up. I don't want to get into that mindset of, "it's a YJ, nobody cares", because as they get older, the nostalgia seems to build for them. Maybe its just my area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.