CJ front end swap on a YJ - lots of pics! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 06-10-2009, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Jesse-James

1989 XJ Cherokee 

CJ front end swap on a YJ - lots of pics!

Well, this started out of need for tire coverage. My cut up front fenders were getting looks from the cops and to be honest the rooster tails in the rain were getting old. After hunting for rust free YJ fenders for a few months I gave up when I found a deal on a complete front end from a CJ7 for a nice price.

First step was disassembly.

Next was trimming the CJ fenders to fit around the shock towers. Cut a little, check the fit, repeat.

Once I was able to line them up after trimming, I couldn't believe how well they fit. The bolts/holes from the fenders to the tub and even the supports lined right up. The hood was a direct bolt on as well.

The resiviors for coolant and washer fluid bolted up like they were meant to be there.

Live in SE WI? ----->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 06-10-2009, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Jesse-James

1989 XJ Cherokee 

Got the fenders in place with a couple bolts in.

Time to start on the grill. Biggest issue was the steering box. Had to notch it to clear the lines. I'm going through cutting wheels like candy.

Now it's fitting a bit better.

From what I've read the radiator was going to be the biggest hassle so I decided from the beginning to use a CJ radiator for a better finished look and so it would be a bolt in...or so I thought.

The CJ rad is in front.

I ended up having to notch the mounting bracket to clear the steering box as well.

Since the YJ is an auto I have the trans lines through the radiator, figured it was a good time to eliminate that (especially since the CJ rad. was from a manual) so I got a trans cooler for a motorhome, 26,000 GVW

Installing the rad. and the mounting holes did not line up so I ended up using two of the drop brackets from my body lift to remedy it.

Another issue I found is that on the YJ the upper hose is smaller on the radiator side (1") so took a trip to Buy Right Auto, they were awesome at finding me a hose with two 1 1/4" ends. Not many stores can do anything without the computer these days, but they could.

Next was the fan shroud, this had to be notched as well.

Live in SE WI? ----->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 Old 06-10-2009, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Jesse-James

1989 XJ Cherokee 

All that was really left was lights, the headlights were straight forward , but the park/turn lights have two wires and the YJ has a three wire socket. Just don't reuse the ground from the YJ wiring and all is good.

And the before and after

Live in SE WI? ----->

post #4 of 27 Old 06-10-2009, 08:58 PM
elephantrider
2005 LJ Wrangler 

good job bud ! looks real good.

when do you plan on getting paint.
post #5 of 27 Old 06-10-2009, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Jesse-James

1989 XJ Cherokee 

In the next week or two (after plenty of sanding) I'll rattle can it red. Late this summer I'm taking it down for a roll-on job in Battleship Grey.

Live in SE WI? ----->
post #6 of 27 Old 06-10-2009, 09:01 PM
antec

ya i will be doing that as soon as i'm done with the body work to the new stuff looks gr8
post #7 of 27 Old 06-10-2009, 09:10 PM
USMC_XJ

2003 WJ 

very nice.

lol. as i was reading, i thought that it was funny how putting cj front end on a yj was bolt on, but the cj radiator into the cj front end gave you problems.

but that was only from the steering box.

excellent job though..

1994 Cherokee Sport - 4.0 HO - AW4 - 4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99
The next time you want to tell a story but not get people's opinions, rather than post it on an internet forum, open up Microsoft Word, type your story there, then click on the little X in the top right corner and then hit yourself in the head with a sledge hammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat
If he finds the yj section im putting round headlights on mine.
post #8 of 27 Old 06-10-2009, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Jesse-James

1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierp89 View Post
funny how putting cj front end on a yj was bolt on, but the cj radiator into the cj front end gave you problems.

No doubt, that pissed me off a bit.

Ah well, the cutting wheel got a workout.

Live in SE WI? ----->
post #9 of 27 Old 06-10-2009, 09:23 PM
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That looks awesome, like it was meant to be.
post #10 of 27 Old 06-10-2009, 10:10 PM
offroadterra
2012 JK Wrangler 

F**king sweet!!!! Great job and great pics.. can't wait to see it rattled red..
post #11 of 27 Old 06-11-2009, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Jesse-James

1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadterra View Post
F**king sweet!!!! Great job and great pics.. can't wait to see it rattled red..
Thanks, I'll post a pic when it's painted.

Live in SE WI? ----->
post #12 of 27 Old 06-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks slick!

Now go pressure wash/degrease that engine compartment.
post #13 of 27 Old 06-12-2009, 06:37 PM
JeepsOLot

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse-James View Post
Installing the rad. and the mounting holes did not line up so I ended up using two of the drop brackets from my body lift to remedy it.
What happened there?!? I would have thought that a CJ radiator would fit in a CJ grille! What year did the radiator come from? It might have been a pre-'71/'72 radiator and a post-'71/'72 grille, maybe, I want to know so, when I get my CJ radiator, I won't make the same mistake, thanks!

Great lookin' Jeep, man!! It'll look SWEET when you paint the front to match!!!

Jerry

86 MJ LB Custom, 88 MJ SB Eliminator, 92 CJ9, 93 XJ Country, and 04 WJ Laredo/Limited
post #14 of 27 Old 06-12-2009, 09:10 PM
humbert810
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good

RED 1995 Wrangler YJ DD
Front and Rear custom bumpers
4" RC Susp. Lift
33x12.50x15 Firestone Destination MT's
This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between searches. Please try again in 1 seconds.
post #15 of 27 Old 06-13-2009, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Jesse-James

1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepsOLot View Post
What happened there?!? I would have thought that a CJ radiator would fit in a CJ grille! What year did the radiator come from? It might have been a pre-'71/'72 radiator and a post-'71/'72 grille, maybe, I want to know so, when I get my CJ radiator, I won't make the same mistake, thanks!
Radiator and grill were bought from separate people second hand so I don't know what happened there. All I was told was the grill was from an 80's CJ-7 with a six and the radiator from a "CJ 4 banger". It all worked out but yeah, wtf? Bolt pattern was off about an inch on that side. At least it was an easy fix.

Live in SE WI? ----->

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in