Check Engine Light Does Not Flash - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-29-2009, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
loverocks4013
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check Engine Light Does Not Flash

I am having a lot of issues with my Jeep...but right now I am trying to check the codes and I know how to do it however the check engine light IS NOT flashing....what does that mean??

~ Love Rocks ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Louie4

1935 CJ2A 

Does it light up when you first turn the key to the ON position? If not, the bulb is probably bad.

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old 09-29-2009, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
loverocks4013
1993 YJ Wrangler 

it lights up and stays on...no flashing

~ Love Rocks ~

post #4 of 10 Old 09-29-2009, 10:55 AM
muddy93
2009 JK Wrangler 

I just recently went through the same thing.
I could not, for the life of me, get the CEL to flash the codes. I even double checked that I had the correct on-off-on-off-on sequence for the key, and still nothing.

it turned out that I was going through that key sequence to fast!!!!!!
go through the on-off-on-off-on sequence a little slower, and see if that makes a difference. also, there is a bit of a delay between finishing the key sequence and when the light starts to flash.

Red 2009 JKU. Needs a little TLC, but it's got good bones, and will be a nice family project.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-29-2009, 11:24 AM
idaholtby

1991 YJ Wrangler 

When checking the codes, turn the ignition key to "On" do not go all the way to start. Then turn the key one click back to "Off" do not go all the way back to where the key can be removed, then back to On, Off, and stop at On. Wait 5 seconds, the lamp will then extinguish and begin flashing the codes. I've seen several people do this and not be in the correct positions with the ignition switch, i.e. going all the way back to where the key can be removed.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-30-2009, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
loverocks4013
1993 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the advice guys, but I have checked the codes before with no problems. It's possible I was going to fast trying to stay under the 5 sec rule..but I do know how to do and there was no delay the light just stayes on the entire time....oh well another mystery with my Jeep...that's the least of my problems...still won't start.

Have a great day!

~ Love Rocks ~
post #7 of 10 Old 10-05-2009, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
loverocks4013
1993 YJ Wrangler 

UPDATE!! Well, we may NEVER really know what the exact nature of the problem that caused my Jeep to up and die while driving home on a gorgeous Saturday afternoon. We could speculate that is was the fuel pump that went, but perhaps we were wrong, It was defintitely NOT the ECM or PCU so thank goodness there! The problem was most likely the CPS which I did change out, however the guy who replaced my fuel pump inadvertantly wired it backwards causing the unit not to work properly, so the Jeep did not start even after the CPS was replaced.

Last Monday, we fixed the wiring issue on the fuel pump and the Jeep did start and it ran for quite some time as I believe I have reported already...the reason it died the third time around, was not due to anything except some wires that somehow decided to find a nice place to lay which happened to be on my exhaust pipe...and as I am sure you have figured out, the wires melted causing a short thus not allowing my Jeep to start....whew!!!

So that is the ending to my Jeep saga, nothing major (except the 4hrs of labor at the mechanic) just a little bit of carelessness and $462.00 out of pocket to fix the problem....actually is was $38 dollars to FIX the problem and $388 to FIND the problem....LOL!

Moral of my story...TAKE YOUR TIME!! DON't ASSUME ANYTHING AND CHECK ALL YOUR WIRING NEAR HOT SPOTS FOR SHORTS!! TIME IS MONEY...

Take care y'all!!

~ Love Rocks ~
post #8 of 10 Old 10-05-2009, 11:48 AM
idaholtby

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loverocks4013 View Post
UPDATE!! Well, we may NEVER really know what the exact nature of the problem that caused my Jeep to up and die while driving home on a gorgeous Saturday afternoon. We could speculate that is was the fuel pump that went, but perhaps we were wrong, It was defintitely NOT the ECM or PCU so thank goodness there! The problem was most likely the CPS which I did change out, however the guy who replaced my fuel pump inadvertantly wired it backwards causing the unit not to work properly, so the Jeep did not start even after the CPS was replaced.

Last Monday, we fixed the wiring issue on the fuel pump and the Jeep did start and it ran for quite some time as I believe I have reported already...the reason it died the third time around, was not due to anything except some wires that somehow decided to find a nice place to lay which happened to be on my exhaust pipe...and as I am sure you have figured out, the wires melted causing a short thus not allowing my Jeep to start....whew!!!

So that is the ending to my Jeep saga, nothing major (except the 4hrs of labor at the mechanic) just a little bit of carelessness and $462.00 out of pocket to fix the problem....actually is was $38 dollars to FIX the problem and $388 to FIND the problem....LOL!

Moral of my story...TAKE YOUR TIME!! DON't ASSUME ANYTHING AND CHECK ALL YOUR WIRING NEAR HOT SPOTS FOR SHORTS!! TIME IS MONEY...

Take care y'all!!
Just curious... Are you now able to check for codes? I don't understand why you had an issue with that unless the short to the pump was somehow scavenging power from the ecm. Hopefully now only a 12,33,and 55 are stored.
In the future though should another problem arise... I strongly suggest keeping the problem contained to one thread. This particular problem encompassed 4 different threads. One thread alone will keep a continuity of the troubleshooting that has been performed and the suggestions that have already been tried. This makes it easier for those trying to help you diagnose the problem. Congrats on getting it fixed!
post #9 of 10 Old 12-01-2013, 11:31 AM
SINCITY192
1994 ZJ 

Anyone find out what the culprit is with the check engine light no flashing the codes because I have pulled codes plenty of times and now I cant pull any the engine check light is illuminated but it doesn't flash when I do the off-on sequence. Any suggestions I am trying to chase down a no start it just cranks and cranks it was starting but after putting gas it shut off while I was waiting to make a turn and hasn't came back on since... I have been having to jump start it just to get it to crank but I figured its because the battery wasn't getting time to charge. I have swapped out the cps for one I am not even sure works but still the same thing cranks and cranks but no start and cant pull codes!
post #10 of 10 Old 12-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

The thread is really old. Post up to a new thread worth your info. Pm me on the new thread and I will give you a hand.

Fault codes:

Mean Max pics of everything:

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in