Can you buy grommets sets (15) for a valve cover ? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By bruinjeeper
  • 1 Post By Rideout

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-22-2021, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Rideout

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Can you buy grommets sets (15) for a valve cover ?

Hi everyone!

My 95 YJ 4.0 has been leaking in the region near the rear of the engine block and the front of the transmission. Difficult to tell where it it coming from; it may be multiple places.

I started by replacing the rear-main seal and oil pan gasket. Old oil pan gasket was black (I think that it was OEM?). Replaced with a blue silicone Fel-Pro. Still leaking.

Moved on to the valve cover gasket. Interestingly, there was a Fel-pro blue silicone gasket in place already. I did not put it there. I bought a new one that I want to install.

Here's my question: for this model, the gasket "set" only comes with the gasket. Not the 15 rubber grommets that surround the valve cover bolts. Other gasket sets for different makes come with the grommets. I see the grommets online for my jeep, but only sold individually (and often quite expensive). It just seems to me like someone would sell them as a set?

I've spent quite some time on google and I can't find sets. And I want to replace them because the ones I pulled out are warped/out of shape. Almost like the PO overtightened them when they replaced the OME valve cover gasket with the blue Fel-Pro valve cover gasket.

Images attached so you can see the part I'm talking about.

Thanks for any info on where to find these grommets, or whether I should just reuse the ones that I pulled out.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6731 2.jpg   IMG_6734.jpg  

Build thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-24-2021, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Rideout

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'll ask the question in a different/simpler way:

Can you reuse valve cover grommets?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6734.jpg  

Build thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-24-2021, 05:12 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

i never seen any of those.

Would this be used in tandem with a plastic valve cover?

On my 95, just the blue fel-pro, aluminum valve cover and bolts/studs... no leaks.
Rideout likes this.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JUL '19, NOV '21~

post #4 of 5 Old 10-25-2021, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Rideout

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
i never seen any of those.

Would this be used in tandem with a plastic valve cover?

On my 95, just the blue fel-pro, aluminum valve cover and bolts/studs... no leaks.
Thanks bruinjeeper! Good to hear from someone else with a 95. I though maybe it was something specific to the tail-end of the YJ's models, but apparently not.

Mine is a Sahara with a metal valve cover, JFYI.

Given the lack of purchasable replacements, I'm going to just try re-using them. I can't even source enough of the grommets sold as singles to create a full set.

I'll post a update when I know whether it worked.

Thanks again!
bruinjeeper likes this.

Build thread:

post #5 of 5 Old 10-25-2021, 08:19 PM
the1adman

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes they are available. I have a late 95 Sahara and have the same valve cover. I believe the correct kit for a 96 XJ, check Rock Auto.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in