California Smogging Problems - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 85 Old 06-30-2014, 03:45 PM
Sandy97ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
The biggest issue with vacuum lines will be, are they all there?
My first experience working with cars was on my dad's 85 lincoln town car when I was 8,9 years old. Looking back on that experience, I know where my decision to only buy EFI cars was made.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 85 Old 06-30-2014, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I can see how this hose thing can get really annoying. I just traced a hose that I found dangling for the past 30 minutes.

This is where the hose is coming from:
It's the one with the red circle around it (closest to the shot)

Also I found the EGR hose was unplugged, where does it plug back into? It might have been cut, but I'm unsure since I can't find another dangling bit.

Edit: From some picture I found I guess that hose goes to the EGR hose?

post #18 of 85 Old 06-30-2014, 04:34 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Everything you need to know about your stock 4.2 system is here.

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 85 Old 06-30-2014, 07:16 PM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy97ZJ View Post
This ^^^

Wheeling can make the cat go bad. I shattered two and now it's at the point where I have my old cat (hollowed out) and my new cat flanged, and I swap them when I go off road.
I don't have that problem with that. My cat is protected by the skid plate. I have had the O2 sensor kill two cats.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #20 of 85 Old 07-01-2014, 08:06 AM
Sandy97ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
I don't have that problem with that. My cat is protected by the skid plate. I have had the O2 sensor kill two cats.
It's possible that my first cat went out like that. I know that after a hard session of wheeling (I bottomed out once, and I'm sure I landed right on the cat) it plugged up and clogged up the muffler on the way back. Now I just make sure I remember to do the whole switcharoo before and after wheeling. Gives me time to drink a beer while everything cools down.
post #21 of 85 Old 07-02-2014, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Would you guys happen to know what this hose is for?
It's just dangling on both ends, but the tips have like a hard plastic on them.

post #22 of 85 Old 07-02-2014, 07:03 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like a gearbox vent. Front differential probably.

Bill

1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2" lift + 1" BL + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #23 of 85 Old 07-02-2014, 11:49 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yup, front diff vent line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #24 of 85 Old 07-03-2014, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So 1 end goes into the front differential, does anything need to hold it in place or is the plastic tip enough to hold it?
Also where does the other end go? Just open air? Should it face up or the ground?

Thanks guys & sorry for the newbie questions
post #25 of 85 Old 07-03-2014, 11:29 AM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

If it is the one that is supposed to go to the front diff, you should find the empty hole. The fitting just snaps in, but they always loosen up and get pulled out. So I cleaned the hole and used some silicone to help keep it in place. I hope.

Here is a pic of mine when I found it dangling loose

The other end can run up along the radiator support. Just get the end up as high as you can so deep water crossings can't get to it.

You've got a similar vent hose coming from your transmission. I think that one usually runs up the firewall and the end is just below where the cowl starts. You can see the white tip of that one near the top of this pic.

You've also got a vent in your rear diff and your transfer case. They all need hoses running up high.

Bill

1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2" lift + 1" BL + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #26 of 85 Old 07-03-2014, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Alright front vent diff hose seemed to plug right back in, hopefully doesn't fall out again.

Now I was wondering if anyone could confirm for me that this hose (with the red line) gets connected to the EGR Valve.
I'm pretty sure it does since they're the only 2 hoses that are split but I like to double check things.

Edit: Changed the picture to be more clear what hose I was talking about
post #27 of 85 Old 07-03-2014, 01:17 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozz View Post
Alright front vent diff hose seemed to plug right back in, hopefully doesn't fall out again.

Now I was wondering if anyone could confirm for me that this hose (with the red line) gets connected to the EGR Valve.
I'm pretty sure it does since they're the only 2 hoses that are split but I like to double check things.

Edit: Changed the picture to be more clear what hose I was talking about
Yes. That component in your air cleaner is the TVS, as shown in the schematic you posted above. Basically it disables your EGR when the engine is cold.

Bill

post #28 of 85 Old 07-03-2014, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks bpounds!

And it doesn't connect to anything inbetween? It's just a straight hose EGR -> TVS?
post #29 of 85 Old 07-03-2014, 01:28 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yep.

Check out this schematic:
http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/vacuhose.htm

Bill

post #30 of 85 Old 07-03-2014, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Alright I'm going to change the hose, I don't know what the guy before me did but he had 2 different diameter hoses connected to each other. The one from the EGR was thicker than the one going to the TVS. Is it ok if I just go with a smaller single diameter hose all the way through?

Also I pulled my EGR, seems pretty worn out. I'm going to get a new one as well.
I was wondering if I should try to clean in the hole though. It's pretty black. If so how should I clean it?
Here's a picture:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in