California Smogging Problems - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 85 Old 06-29-2014, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

California Smogging Problems

Hey guys,

Jeeping here in CA is a pain in the ***. I had to do a smog and of course the 4.2 89 didn't pass.

The guy that we did it with said that we need to change the catalytic converter. And advised us to change the O2 sensor and the gas cap(wtf??).

Anyways I know the catalytic converter I won't be able to do on my own since I can't weld, but the other 2 seems like super easy changes.

Basically I wanted to know if this is the O2 sensor here:

Also I'm having some trouble figuring out which catalytic converter I need. I want to buy the part and give it to the mechanic so that he can install it.
I found Magnaflow has CA ready cats (really the only ones I could find) but there's like 5 different ones and I was wondering if you guys could point me to the right one.

Since I'm not sure if I can post websites on here, I'll post a screenshot of what I'm looking at:

Any other common things you think I should change to get this smog passed?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 Old 06-29-2014, 11:32 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yes that's the O2 sensor, rent an O2 wrench from Autozone (it just makes it easier).
I can't see the screen shot it's too small. Why not just go to an exhaust place and tell them you need a new cat?

Yes it's dumb but my stock YJ gas cap got replaced every year to pass smog.

After all that I'd suggest you run it good before taking it in, as in several freeway speed runs for 20-30 miles so the engine is nice and hot then take it to get it smogged. If it doesn't pass post your numbers and we'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #3 of 85 Old 06-29-2014, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply Timatoe.

I'll probably replace the O2 sensor tomorrow. The connector seems pretty busted, but I'm hoping it will work.
I think the screenshot of the cat can be enlarged by pressing the bar at the top of it, but either way, I don't know why I didn't think about going into a exhaust place. I'll start calling some places tomorrow.

Would any gas cap that fits work or did you buy the original jeep cap?

So I should get the Jeep hot before actually getting it tested? I didn't know that.
Thanks for the tip!

post #4 of 85 Old 06-29-2014, 11:46 PM
Xpress

1996 ZJ 

Garage
EVERY single SMOG technician that has failed one of my vehicles has told me that it's the CAT going bad and I need to replace it.

Usually a simple tuneup solves the whole problem.

Don't waste your money on a CAT until you do a full tuneup.

'96 ZJ 5.2L, IRO 3.5" lift, KOR radiator support, MVF steering brace, IronMan 1 Ton
post #5 of 85 Old 06-30-2014, 01:01 AM
flipit
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just a comment on the gas cap side, my old truck got the check engine light to come on because I screwed the gas cap until it clicked only the one time, had a friend check it out and he just screwed it tight (three clicks) and it was fixed. if you can find/borrow/rent a sensor, make sure you know which o2 sensor is messed up and get that fixed before you go for the cat. in my opinion, his advice sounds like one code came up and he offered every single fix, just to be sure you pass next time.

Project #1- https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/5-0-yj-right-way-1799609/
post #6 of 85 Old 06-30-2014, 01:36 AM
LJameson

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozz View Post
Thanks for the reply Timatoe.

I'll probably replace the O2 sensor tomorrow. The connector seems pretty busted, but I'm hoping it will work.
I think the screenshot of the cat can be enlarged by pressing the bar at the top of it, but either way, I don't know why I didn't think about going into a exhaust place. I'll start calling some places tomorrow.

Would any gas cap that fits work or did you buy the original jeep cap?

So I should get the Jeep hot before actually getting it tested? I didn't know that.
Thanks for the tip!
You can get a gas cap at any auto parts store, they're cheap.

Can you post up the numbers from the smog test? That can help determine what's wrong with your jeep. And yes, drive it for a little bit before you get it smogged, it does help.

Edit: I see you're in Palmdale, if you need any help then shoot me a PM. I'm right up the road in Elizabeth Lake.

1990 YJ
1976 CJ7
post #7 of 85 Old 06-30-2014, 02:49 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Like mentioned any parts store should have the cap and they're cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipit View Post
Just a comment on the gas cap side, my old truck got the check engine light to come on because I screwed the gas cap until it clicked only the one time, had a friend check it out and he just screwed it tight (three clicks) and it was fixed. if you can find/borrow/rent a sensor, make sure you know which o2 sensor is messed up and get that fixed before you go for the cat. in my opinion, his advice sounds like one code came up and he offered every single fix, just to be sure you pass next time.
His cap doesn't "click" at all and there's only one O2 sensor for the 4.2. The cap is actually tested separate from the rest of the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #8 of 85 Old 06-30-2014, 03:43 AM
Drednot

1991 YJ Wrangler 

The reason for the gas cap replacement is to pass the evaporative system test.

The O2 sensor should be replaced as often as the spark plugs to keep the engine running its best.

Most wranglers rely on the catalytic converter to do most of the emission reduction. The most common reason for high NOx is a bad cat.

91 YJ Sahara, 4.0L, AX-15/NP231, D30/[email protected]
12 Cherokee 4x4,3.7L,42RLE/MP1522, D30M/[email protected]
Emission test=YES
"Non Vi Sed, Arte"
post #9 of 85 Old 06-30-2014, 08:09 AM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednot View Post
The reason for the gas cap replacement is to pass the evaporative system test.

The O2 sensor should be replaced as often as the spark plugs to keep the engine running its best.

Most wranglers rely on the catalytic converter to do most of the emission reduction. The most common reason for high NOx is a bad cat.
Although this is true, there is something wrong that causes the cat to go bad. The O2 sensor could be one of them.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #10 of 85 Old 06-30-2014, 08:17 AM
Sandy97ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
EVERY single SMOG technician that has failed one of my vehicles has told me that it's the CAT going bad and I need to replace it.

Usually a simple tuneup solves the whole problem.

Don't waste your money on a CAT until you do a full tuneup.
This ^^^

A new cat WILL pass you, but the reason why you pass is because the cat compensates for other underlying problems. Do a tune up. Get a new gas cap (it's a CA thing... it does make a difference). Replace the O2 sensor. Make sure you're not running rich or lean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
Although this is true, there is something wrong that causes the cat to go bad. The O2 sensor could be one of them.
Wheeling can make the cat go bad. I shattered two and now it's at the point where I have my old cat (hollowed out) and my new cat flanged, and I swap them when I go off road.

Also, if you don't know how to weld, you can clamp the cat on if you know how to cut pipe. I don't know if I'd recommend it, as I've never use clamped exhausts off road, but that may be an option. Then again, a muffler shop should be able to weld your cat in for $30-60 bucks. I was lazy and had flanges welded onto my exhaust, and my 2 cats (6 welds total) for $50 (plus $40 for the 6 flanges that I supplied myself). You only need two welds.
post #11 of 85 Old 06-30-2014, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Alright guys thanks for all the replies.

Some have been asking for the numbers of the test and here they are:

Also found out that I was told to replace my EGR Valve as well. Any experience with this one?

I might do a full tune up before doing the smogging since the Jeep probably needs one anyways.

What does a full tune up consist of? Where can I get one? Or should I do it myself?

Edit: LJameson, man if I need you I'll holler haha! Good to see someone around me!
post #12 of 85 Old 06-30-2014, 01:14 PM
Sandy97ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Well first I'd ask what vacuum lines made you fail. That might resolve your EGR valve issues (problems with EGR usually cause high NOx). You're also running rich (high HC = uncombusted fuel). Fix your vacuum leaks and get a tune up and try again. Look on the forum for EGR valve testing procedures... I wouldn't swap in a new cat yet.

Edit: And get a new gas cap since it failed the suction test.
post #13 of 85 Old 06-30-2014, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

How can I find out where my vacuum leak is?
post #14 of 85 Old 06-30-2014, 03:22 PM
Sandy97ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozz View Post
How can I find out where my vacuum leak is?
Trail and error... check for broken or disconnected connections... water and soap, carb cleaner.

I'd suggest googling it or searching on the forums. I'm not an expert on it. I bought a newer car to try to escape the hell that is vacuum leaks found on pre-ODBII vehicles.
post #15 of 85 Old 06-30-2014, 03:31 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The biggest issue with vacuum lines will be, are they all there? What's your history with this Jeep? How long have you owned it? Is all the original smog equipment still there? Original carburetor?

If the stuff is all there, you might just need to replace any vacuum lines that are hard/brittle/cracked. But if a lot is missing, it can be a real chore to restore missing stuff. At some point it becomes more cost effective to just do a Howell EFI install and get rid of all that old smog stuff.

Some pics of the top side might help.

Bill
Jeepers drive high!
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2.5" lift + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in