A/C Gurus Step Inside - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-31-2021, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
SevenSlotAddict
1990 YJ Wrangler 

A/C Gurus Step Inside

The long term goal for my YJ is to replace the driveline with a fuel injected Chevy Vortec V6, 4L60E auto and the 231C transfer. Ive found a reasonably low mileage S10 Blazer that has some unknown electrical issue the owner hasnt solved. They claim it ran well before the issue struck so I am hoping all the mechanicals are good.

Our YJ's only had one option for A/C and its the underdash unit which has the fan and evaporator in it. The Blazer has the A/C complete on it and I am wondering with a new dryer and extended hoses will the two systems be compatible. I can find the under dash units every now and then fairly cheap but none are complete with compressors and asociated engine bracketry. The Chevy system has all of it. I just dont know if the Chevy compressor will work with the Jeep evaporator. I think it should but I need advice from any A/C gurus here.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-01-2021, 06:33 AM
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'd give Jeepair.com a call and get their advice. They sell repair parts like blowers, etc, for the underdash units, and all the other parts you may need as well (condenser, hoses, etc).

You don't mention the age of the S10, but my guess is that it will be fairly easy to hook up. You may have to replace the AC compressor - GM has some variable displacement compressors (for fuel economy), which you would probably not want to use. If you have to replace the AC compressor, you may have to replace some brackets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-01-2021, 07:16 AM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I've been looking at doing something similar with a handful of parts from various vehicles and then just buy what I need/don't have. I'm pretty sure the system as a whole will not work but you can probably piece the things that will work together. The S10 grill is a lot wider than a YJ so you'd have to use the YJ condenser and make a bracket to mount the compressor to your engine. Then remake most of the lines.

In general, the compressor, condenser, and evaporator are all sized together for optimum efficiency so changing the size of one will reduce how well it cools. For a daily driver, this would be terrible. However, for a fun or offroad vehicle, I'd be willing to accept only a 20-30 degree air temperature drop over ambient compared to 30-40 degrees if it means something cooler than the humid 90-100 stagnant air on the trail.

post #4 of 5 Old 06-01-2021, 06:29 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I got an underdash unit thrown in with my hardtop I bought from a guy parting out his sons 94 or 95 YJ. That makes an install easy IMO. I believe that 94 was the first year of R134a in a YJ so the EVAP core part # is different from older ones. I dont know if your blazer is a R134a vehicle but that is the refrigerant you want the system based upon because it is readily available.

IMO if you do an engine swap you try to stay with a compressor that is easily compatible to that engine and belt configuration IF it fits in the new engine bay and keep the rest of the AC system as close to original for the vehicle you have. It is much less of a PIA this way. You have have to have a line made along the way but no biggy.

I agree, Jeepair is a great resource.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-01-2021, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
SevenSlotAddict
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Good info here and thanks for the replies. The S10 is a '98 4x4 Blazer and I am thinking I can pull the whole engine, accessories and all and then figure out what I need between the GM compressor and the Jeep underdash unit. I will buy new where needed and have hoses made. If I am correct, the evaporator is part of the underdash unit along with the blower. Using the GM compressor, I still need a correctly sized condenser and a dryer, correct?

I have to agree, a 20-30 degree temp change will be worth the effort. With proper insulation on the tub and top, it may work decently well. Maybe not enough to hang a side of beef but enough to limit the amount of sweat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in