Buying lift and gears 95 - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By bruinjeeper

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-15-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Zjesse22

Buying lift and gears 95

Hello! New here to the site, I recently acquired a 95 yj with the 2.5 4 cyl. I have been looking at purchasing a lift and gears for it since it came with 32” bfg’s and can barely make a turn or hit a bump without rubbing amd im annoyed already. I have been looming at the RC 2.5” lift and regearing to 4:56 r&p set as well. This is not a mudding toy but an occasional weekend cruiser to the beach, deer lease and to run errands around town. My thoughts of regearing is due to the reason of going 65mph im at almost 3k rpm range and feel i am beating on the 4 banger due to the tires. Any advice or suggestions is highly appreciated!!

Attached Thumbnails
1F39108C-5548-4619-ABE2-F15331BCDA0D_1568561811996.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-15-2019, 10:02 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Clean looking Jeep there. I personally would not pay to regear the D35 rear or pay for an RC kit. That being said, if you don't plan to ever really wheel it or go over 32" tires, your plan would be sufficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-15-2019, 06:48 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

As mentioned - rethink the RC lift. It sucks on and off road. More noticeable on road... very uncomfortable ride and the springs will sag every time you look at it lol. I also 2nd @timatoe on not bothering a re-gear for the rear dana 35. 65 mph at around 3,000 is fine for those 4 squirrels.

I am on 33s, 4.56 gearing i am at about 2650-2700 at 65mph. (Well, i need to recheck, just added VERY light alloy wheels - those details were taken with former very heavy Steel wheels)

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~

post #4 of 14 Old 09-15-2019, 06:54 PM
Chrisnvegas
Windows95

1992 YJ Wrangler 

RC kit, meh. Rough ride, tendency to sag or lean one way or the other.

Tires are temporary, regear and lift, permanent.
How attached are you to the tires?

Getting more appropriately sized tires would cure your ills.
Big tires stress the brakes, engine, extra unsprung weight, extra wind resistance ect.

Be a lot cheaper and easier to change the tires.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
post #5 of 14 Old 09-15-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Zjesse22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
RC kit, meh. Rough ride, tendency to sag or lean one way or the other.

Tires are temporary, regear and lift, permanent.
How attached are you to the tires?

Getting more appropriately sized tires would cure your ills.
Big tires stress the brakes, engine, extra unsprung weight, extra wind resistance ect.

Be a lot cheaper and easier to change the tires.
The tires are literally brand new the day I got the jeep the previous owner had put them on to be able to drive the jeep home, I’ve been looking at other lift but trying to keep it budget friendly as it is not a daily driver, sometimes a weekend drive hadn’t driven for over a month before last weekend
post #6 of 14 Old 09-15-2019, 07:20 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

...if you get a quality 2.5" lift like OME... i guarantee you that it won't only be driven on sporadic weekends
Kolak and Chrisnvegas like this.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #7 of 14 Old 09-15-2019, 07:55 PM
Chrisnvegas
Windows95

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, we can work with that.

How about a quality lift, done a bit at a time, with the Jeep being drivable in between.

I will only recommend things I would personally do. I'd rather give no advise than bad advise. When people's hard earned dollars are on the line, I take it seriously.

First, to get the tires from rubbing on every uneven driveway, I'd do a 1" body lift and depending on your budget, a 1/2" shackle lift.
That 1 1/2" will help quite a bit. It will keep the tires from rubbing constantly and it's something that can remain permanent.

That will buy a bit of time for a high quality set of springs. Springs that have a comfy ride and last for years without sagging or leaning.
The springs are about 135 a piece? (I think) plus bushings.

Better to spend a little more, and get springs you will actually like 5 years from now. In fact, you'll like your jeep WAY more overall.

I wonder how many Jeeps were sold because the owner bought crap parts and didn't like the performance no knowing there were much better alternatives?

By the way, the Jeep 2.5 may not be a powerhouse. It was built for longevity. 300,000+ miles without any significant repairs is not uncommon. Feel free to flog those 4 squirrels as long as you use decent oil and filters when needed and don't overheat EVER. They are not susceptible to overheating or overly sensitive to it. But after almost 30 years, the cooling system may need a refresh.
If the radiator looks skanky, feel free to replace in a timely manor. Don't wait till the Jeep screams for help!

Keep the trans and diff oil clean, coolant change every couple years and the Jeep will outlast you!

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
post #8 of 14 Old 09-15-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Zjesse22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Ok, we can work with that.

How about a quality lift, done a bit at a time, with the Jeep being drivable in between.

I will only recommend things I would personally do. I'd rather give no advise than bad advise. When people's hard earned dollars are on the line, I take it seriously.

First, to get the tires from rubbing on every uneven driveway, I'd do a 1" body lift and depending on your budget, a 1/2" shackle lift.
That 1 1/2" will help quite a bit. It will keep the tires from rubbing constantly and it's something that can remain permanent.

That will buy a bit of time for a high quality set of springs. Springs that have a comfy ride and last for years without sagging or leaning.
The springs are about 135 a piece? (I think) plus bushings.

Better to spend a little more, and get springs you will actually like 5 years from now. In fact, you'll like your jeep WAY more overall.

I wonder how many Jeeps were sold because the owner bought crap parts and didn't like the performance no knowing there were much better alternatives?

By the way, the Jeep 2.5 may not be a powerhouse. It was built for longevity. 300,000+ miles without any significant repairs is not uncommon. Feel free to flog those 4 squirrels as long as you use decent oil and filters when needed and don't overheat EVER. They are not susceptible to overheating or overly sensitive to it. But after almost 30 years, the cooling system may need a refresh.
If the radiator looks skanky, feel free to replace in a timely manor. Don't wait till the Jeep screams for help!

Keep the trans and diff oil clean, coolant change every couple years and the Jeep will outlast you!
Reaearching lead me to this kit:
https://www.extremeterrain.com/super...s-8795-yj.html
Which is a bit more but includes more which im ok with. I recently did the top end of the engine and replaced a few parts as well as checked all coolants and oils, radiator flush as well trying to maintain it in top notch shape. Will be adding a new exhaust to it as the stock one has seen better days.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-15-2019, 09:09 PM
Chrisnvegas
Windows95

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know about that specific kit although Extreme Terrain is a reputable vendor.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
post #10 of 14 Old 09-15-2019, 09:38 PM
UPStrades
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It's a shame to modify such a clean looking jeep. I would leave it stock!
post #11 of 14 Old 09-16-2019, 08:37 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'd get either of these over the SuperLift and certainly over the RC.

http://zoneoffroad.com/suspension-lift-kits_wrangler-yj

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-20-2019, 04:21 AM
Kick
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
I'd get either of these over the SuperLift and certainly over the RC.

http://zoneoffroad.com/suspension-lift-kits_wrangler-yj
I second this recommendation.

95 yj 4 lungs 3.5 bds more shackles ox locked 32" BFG AT KO patriot 9500 sye
08 unlimited rubicon 1"3/4 daystar lift
post #13 of 14 Old 09-21-2019, 02:11 AM
Kolak
Vendor

I also think you'd really appreciate a set of Old Man Emu springs. Ride and handling are excellent and they never sag.

They pair very nicely with the Bilstein 5100 series shocks. These ride and handle great and have excellent fade resistance and rapid responsiveness.

Lift height will be in the 2.5" range. You'll want leaf spring bushings, U-bolts and new shackles/shackle bushings as well.

If I can assist, please PM me here on the forum or email me at [email protected] - I'm a forum Vendor, and an OME/Bilstein dealer too.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-21-2019, 08:17 PM
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I think of budget is your concern and your reasoning is to not rub, Id go with a body lift and shackle lift. Very economical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'87 reg. historic, 2" bds springs, 1" boom shackles, 1" daystar BL, 31" Intereco trxus, Crager soft 8's, steel braided brake extensions, monsta liner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in