The build that was never going to happen - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 98 Old 08-22-2020, 08:15 PM
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1981 CJ5 

Garage
Having it follow the driveshaft angle is a good idea, it can act as a skid plate for the driveshaft.

Andy, KD8EIA
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 98 Old 08-24-2020, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Traction bar turned out easy. The one I had was a ruff stuff with a single tube design. But, the tube is 1/4 thick wall so I extended it with another piece of 1/4 wall tube, added a gusset tube and moving on. Still not liking the heat and humidity this week.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1672.jpg   IMG_1675.jpg  

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #78 of 98 Old 09-21-2020, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I'm back. Went back east to visit my mom for about 10 days and returned to a heat wave so not much progress. In the home stretch though. Finished runnining all the hard and soft lines for the brakes, changed out the wheel studs to the corrrect length, put on the rotors and calipers and bolted the tub back down. The tub was the worst. The frame is all square and plumb but the tub is kind of bashed in so it was a real chore to man handle it back in place, plus two of the mounts had punched thru the floor.

final to-do list.

bleed the brakes
bleed the steering
splice the tub back together
widen trailer
test run

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #79 of 98 Old 09-28-2020, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
brakes bled and tub spliced back together this weekend.

final to-do list.

bleed the steering
gas tank back in
widen trailer
test run
rewire tail lights
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1813.jpg   IMG_1815.jpg   IMG_1807.jpg  
92 Green YJ likes this.

post #80 of 98 Old 10-04-2020, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Finally got the pile back on all 4 tires and drove it around the block. All good but couple issues. First the front drive shaft was the right length by dumb luck, but it's really not; not enough spline engagement so need to lengthen. Second the brakes. I seem to have enough braking power with the stock TJ booster but the pedal goes to the floor. My theory is the master is just not moving enough fluid for these gigantic super duty calipers. Open to any ideas and searching in the meantime. Otherwise, really happy with the whole thing.
Attached Thumbnails
XDJU9071.jpg   IMG_1841.jpg   IMG_1842.jpg   IMG_1843.jpg   IMG_1844.jpg  

post #81 of 98 Old 10-04-2020, 08:47 PM
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I did the Ram 2500 MC in mine. Seems to be working very well for me.

92 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited +
Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #82 of 98 Old 10-04-2020, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ View Post
thx, I'll look into that. what info do you have?

the matching F250 master is not very expensive but the reservoir is so tall I don't think I could close the hood

post #83 of 98 Old 10-05-2020, 05:05 AM
grandboost98

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I have a 2500 master as well. Works great but is super close to the hood
92 Green YJ likes this.

89 Wrangler-3.5" HD BDS lift,M.O.R.E HD 5/8" booms on 35" KM2s
99 Cherokee-2 door,5" lift on 35" KM2s
04 Grand Cherokee Overland
72 Chevy Nova-in progress

post #84 of 98 Old 10-05-2020, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
I have a 2500 master as well. Works great but is super close to the hood
Thanks. I had nothing to lose by trying it with the existin master but I had my doubts; it just does not move enough fluid to shift all four huge calipers.

After some research it appears the dodge version for the 1999+ 2500 van might have a lower profile tank so ordered one from rockauto, only $50 shipped and it is supposed to bolt right up to the TJ booster

They have one on close out for $22 but the communists here in CA will not let them sell it to me because they have not paid the proper bribes to make it legal in this state.

Really happy this project is 99% done
92 Green YJ likes this.

post #85 of 98 Old 10-05-2020, 08:54 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Thanks. I had nothing to lose by trying it with the existin master but I had my doubts; it just does not move enough fluid to shift all four huge calipers.

After some research it appears the dodge version for the 1999+ 2500 van might have a lower profile tank so ordered one from rockauto, only $50 shipped and it is supposed to bolt right up to the TJ booster

They have one on close out for $22 but the communists here in CA will not let them sell it to me because they have not paid the proper bribes to make it legal in this state.

Really happy this project is 99% done
Amazing isn't it? I ordered some vent visors for my Super Duty and Summit wouldn't ship them because they weren't CARB approved (didn't realize sunshades caused green house gasses). Had to submit a thing to them stating it was for race use only, for visors....

Can't wait to retire and GTFO.
92 Green YJ likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #86 of 98 Old 10-05-2020, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Amazing isn't it? I ordered some vent visors for my Super Duty and Summit wouldn't ship them because they weren't CARB approved (didn't realize sunshades caused green house gasses). Had to submit a thing to them stating it was for race use only, for visors....

Can't wait to retire and GTFO.
The latest is the Prop 65 warning where there is a declaration of "The state of California has determined that anything we don't approve of causes cancer..." Any one not living here can not possibly understand it.
92 Green YJ and timatoe like this.

post #87 of 98 Old 10-05-2020, 09:09 AM
grandboost98

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I read multiple threads on the 2500 master, some people had clearance issues and some didn't. I wonder if theres a slight difference between the old 87-91 vs 91-95 brake mounting location.

I got mine from Napa. The guys there are pretty cool/helpful and I told them what I was doing. They brought out both the truck and van masters for me and they were identical. I read the same thing that the van ones were supposed to be smaller but, maybe theyre not anymore?

I also read in a pirate thread that someone flipped the booster to lower the master with no ill effects.

89 Wrangler-3.5" HD BDS lift,M.O.R.E HD 5/8" booms on 35" KM2s
99 Cherokee-2 door,5" lift on 35" KM2s
04 Grand Cherokee Overland
72 Chevy Nova-in progress

post #88 of 98 Old 10-05-2020, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
I read multiple threads on the 2500 master, some people had clearance issues and some didn't. I wonder if theres a slight difference between the old 87-91 vs 91-95 brake mounting location.

I got mine from Napa. The guys there are pretty cool/helpful and I told them what I was doing. They brought out both the truck and van masters for me and they were identical. I read the same thing that the van ones were supposed to be smaller but, maybe theyre not anymore?

I also read in a pirate thread that someone flipped the booster to lower the master with no ill effects.
thx, will find out soon enough. I have a TJ booster with a custom brackete Mr Blaine made for me so it's pretty close to the firewall. If just the plastic tank is the problem I'll figure out some mod for that or make a cool little dog house on the hood.
Attached Images

bruinjeeper likes this.

post #89 of 98 Old 10-05-2020, 10:17 AM
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I didn’t have any clearance issues with the truck version on the stock YJ booster. I did have to fiddle with the pushrod length a little to get it just right. Had it too long at first and the rear brakes locked up and wouldn’t release. I got it dialed in perfect now though.

92 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited +
Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #90 of 98 Old 10-05-2020, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
While waiting for my master I need to ponder the front drive shaft. I pushed the front axle forward a couple inches, but the snout is longer so the end result was it just about fit. However the pumpkin is a litte to the left and the pinion is a little lower relative the the D30 so the end result is the shaft reaches but with very little spline engagement. My thinking is I probably need more room for compression than I do extension. As it sits now the spline is about 8 inches with about 6 showing; almost certain to fall out. Seems like I should reverse that by making it about 4" longer. Make sense?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in