LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 98 Old 08-07-2020, 05:50 PM
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1981 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
helping a friend get ready to move cross country so not much progress this week. hooked up steering hoses and worked on re engineering the high steer bracket. No pix tho.

I did put in the cj tailgate for a test fit and it's perfect. Anyone know what this is from? Cj6? 7? 8? Need to order a gasket
CJ7 / 8. Should be the same gasket.

Remind me to dig out that conversion joint next time I'm there. Should be in the CJ somewhere.

Andy, KD8EIA
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 98 Old 08-10-2020, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
little by little. this weekend I welded the spring perches, torqued the u bolts, cut off the old shock towers and built new ones. Then cut off the back of the tub

gonna start on the rear shocks now. I guess there is a proper way to do it but I'm open to ideas. Meaning, lean forward or back and how much side tilt.

the fronts were pretty easy. straight up and down like the originals
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1593.jpg   PTDU9447.jpg   IMG_1592.jpg   IMG_1606.jpg   IMG_1607.jpg  

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #63 of 98 Old 08-11-2020, 12:54 PM
bgredjeep

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Mainly whatever it takes to keep them from hitting your frame or tires as the suspension moves.

Looking good.

post #64 of 98 Old 08-17-2020, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Over 100 here since friday and stupidly humid so did not get much done beyond floating in the pool.

Did a little though. Got the front axles shafts in and the hubs and braks put together. I need to get the gas tanks back in so I can fill and bleed the steering system; else the front is all done.

tacked in the rear body mounts. I wanted to get the rear shocks mounted this week but figured I need to get the tub in position first so there were not clearance issues. Too hot to finish but I have all the measurements.

Speaking of. Finally put a tape to it and turns out my final wheelbase is 114" so ened up up adding about 20"
Attached Images

92 Green YJ likes this.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #65 of 98 Old 08-17-2020, 08:29 PM
Louie4
Web Wheeler

1935 CJ2A 

Lookin’ good. Been in the 110+ here on any given day. I can only get in the pool in the morning or late afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #66 of 98 Old 08-18-2020, 09:27 AM
bbrintnall
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Man this is coming together great! The stretched body in the rear is gonna look good.
post #67 of 98 Old 08-18-2020, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Prob be the weekend before I get back to the rear shocks, in the meantime maybe I can get some thoughts.

the facts: I have a brand new set of bilsteins which I am using and had on the jeep last year with the 8..8. The rears are not that long because in the stock configuration they are on a pretty severe angle. They have about 10" total travel. I can have 6" up travel before the spring plate hits the frame, which is probably about the max I could expect with these springs anyway. According to my testing if i mount at about a 20 degree angle I can get my 6" up and about 5" down. I think this is good and should be enough. Also, I am going to mount inside the frame. Outboard can offer more travel, which I can't spare anyway and someday if I get new shocks I can swap it. Are there any flaws in this plan, keeping in mind I am not spending anything on this build. So far I have bought front calipers and a couple u joints. Everything else has come out of the scrap pile.

I got a set of fab tech shocks with the axles but they are blown , valved for the super duty weight and would cost about $400 to get set up, which is not happening. Maybe someone wants those.

post #68 of 98 Old 08-18-2020, 10:58 AM
Randonexplosion

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't sacrifice travel for anything short of tire/frame/body/axle interference. Is a couple hundred bucks in shocks worth hanging that tire in the air all of the time vs drooping far enough to get traction? Not to mention the stress that it will put on your shocks and mounts when that spring and axle want to keep moving. Do you plan to use limiting straps?

I used every bit of my 12" Bilsteins when I was SOA, about 5" up and 7" down, and now use all of my 14" ORIs, about 4.5" up and 9.5" down depending on where my ride height is set.

post #69 of 98 Old 08-18-2020, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
I wouldn't sacrifice travel for anything short of tire/frame/body/axle interference. Is a couple hundred bucks in shocks worth hanging that tire in the air all of the time vs drooping far enough to get traction? Not to mention the stress that it will put on your shocks and mounts when that spring and axle want to keep moving. Do you plan to use limiting straps?

I used every bit of my 12" Bilsteins when I was SOA, about 5" up and 7" down, and now use all of my 14" ORIs, about 4.5" up and 9.5" down depending on where my ride height is set.
I don't disagree but the leaf springs only have so much travel. They only drop about 5" from ride height. I can be convinced to do it differently if there is really going to be a huge improvement but I probably need to drive it a little.

thx

post #70 of 98 Old 08-18-2020, 08:39 PM
Randonexplosion

1988 YJ Wrangler 

What springs are you running again?

Thats probably the best thing to do, wait on shock mounts until you can take it out and flex it. A jack in the driveway isnt as good as flexing front and rear at the same time offroad.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

post #71 of 98 Old 08-19-2020, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
What springs are you running again?

Thats probably the best thing to do, wait on shock mounts until you can take it out and flex it. A jack in the driveway isnt as good as flexing front and rear at the same time offroad.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
stock crown springs, zero lift. I forget the exact specifics but I think they are meant for a 1987 or older and have one extra leaf as those did back then originally. Only had them on for a couple trips but they flex surprisingly well and were cheap.

I could probably almost have no shocks at all for strictly crawling but there is always some overland getting to the trailhead.

thx

post #72 of 98 Old 08-21-2020, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
still so very hot and gross here.

but, got the drive shafts in. Using the original front for now, had to shorten a little.

Lucked out on the rear. Grabbed an extra Durango shaft from my parts pile and bolted it right in; exact correct length. Just had to swap on the flange for the axle end.
Attached Images

92 Green YJ likes this.

post #73 of 98 Old 08-21-2020, 04:24 PM
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
stock crown springs, zero lift. I forget the exact specifics but I think they are meant for a 1987 or older and have one extra leaf as those did back then originally. Only had them on for a couple trips but they flex surprisingly well and were cheap.

I could probably almost have no shocks at all for strictly crawling but there is always some overland getting to the trailhead.

thx
You definitely can’t run with no shocks at all. When I rolled mine out and took it down the street it was bouncy as all get out! No way would I want to hit a trail like that.

92 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited +
Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #74 of 98 Old 08-22-2020, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
starting to think about the traction bar. planning to modify the one I had on the 8.8. I don't really know what the geometry is supposed to be on these tho. Originally it was angled about the same as the drive shaft but I don't know if that's by design or it was a coincidence. I'm going to look for some info on pirate but meantime feel free to chime in or post some pictures or ideas.

THX

post #75 of 98 Old 08-22-2020, 03:47 PM
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Mine basically follows my driveshaft angle too.

92 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited +
Tons, 40s, tons of mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in