The build that was never going to happen - JeepForum.com
 50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 Old 06-09-2020, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
The build that was never going to happen

Swore up and down I was never going to tons. Too much money. Too close to retirement. Too lazy. But, here we are. Got a swinging deal on super duty axles with tires and bead locks and can sell my existing set up to recover some of that cost.

Started Thursday after work.

About ten years ago I repaired a rust hole in the frame by the steering box. It has held up well but I don't want to weld my outboard spring hangers to the repair so I cut off the end of the frame. No plans to stretch the front but added a couple inches because, why not.

By the end of the weekend I rolled the front axle under to start measuring and mocking and that's where it sits right now.

Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0484.jpg   DSCN0485.jpg   DSCN0493.jpg   DSCN0498.jpg   DSCN0501.jpg  

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 06-09-2020, 09:49 PM
Randonexplosion

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Looking forward to it Jeff. Whats up with the Spam?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 61 Old 06-10-2020, 03:23 AM
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bet he keeps mystery nuts and bolts in there, after grilling and eating the Spam, of course....

Also like the non-adjustable, perfectly sized support stand, pic 4...

Looking forward to watching this progress...

Fight Crime...Shoot Back

Friends don't let friends roll over without a negative-G strap

post #4 of 61 Old 06-10-2020, 04:41 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Great. Usually the story is 'I'm gonna build this' but never happens.

[BTW my wife loves cooking elaborate dishes with Spam the universal meat. ]

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #5 of 61 Old 06-10-2020, 06:47 AM
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Im sub'd to this. No current plans for tons but i always like to see a good build. Is the plan for leafs or coilovers? Did you get a Dana 60 for the front and 10.25 for the rear?

post #6 of 61 Old 06-10-2020, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Looking forward to it Jeff. Whats up with the Spam?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
was trying to catch the brake fluid in that but fumbled it, hence the cat litter.

spam and eggs couple times a week

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #7 of 61 Old 06-10-2020, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feetwet View Post
Bet he keeps mystery nuts and bolts in there, after grilling and eating the Spam, of course....

Also like the non-adjustable, perfectly sized support stand, pic 4...

Looking forward to watching this progress...
that's sitting on the floor jack. just by dumb luck that spot in the driveway is dead level so lining up the extensions was cake

post #8 of 61 Old 06-10-2020, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpia84 View Post
Im sub'd to this. No current plans for tons but i always like to see a good build. Is the plan for leafs or coilovers? Did you get a Dana 60 for the front and 10.25 for the rear?
right, 60 + sterling. doubt I'll ever find one but there is a unicorn electric locker factory option for the sterling.

leaf, don't forget I'm a cheapskate.

post #9 of 61 Old 06-10-2020, 08:19 AM
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
right, 60 + sterling. doubt I'll ever find one but there is a unicorn electric locker factory option for the sterling.

leaf, don't forget I'm a cheapskate.
Its a YJ, it should have some leafs on it, right?! Besides keeping leafs isnt being cheap, i prefer to use the word efficient! An e-locker for the sterling would be nice.
92 Green YJ likes this.

post #10 of 61 Old 06-10-2020, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
one more from last night, prepping the front shackle hangers. Obviously need to outboard the front springs because of the width. Will leave the rears as is. If I have the motivation might outboard the rear shocks.
Attached Images

bruinjeeper likes this.

post #11 of 61 Old 06-10-2020, 05:05 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

BAHAHAHAHA. Sub'd. And I was never going to do a LS swap and radius arms either...

If your not going to stretch, whats the point of the extra frame extension... wont that just act like big lower lip and get in the way on approach angle?

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #12 of 61 Old 06-10-2020, 06:04 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Haha, it happens to a lot of us Jeff.

So, are you going to hand-fab some outboard brackets similar to the way I did mine?

If so, and you want to keep it low, I built mine so that I lowered the front of my YJ by ~5/8" from stock by raising the upper shackle and spring hanger mounting holes higher by ~5/8".

Also, if you don't want to run ubolts, I have an easy way to do that as well.
92 Green YJ likes this.
post #13 of 61 Old 06-10-2020, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Haha, it happens to a lot of us Jeff.

So, are you going to hand-fab some outboard brackets similar to the way I did mine?

If so, and you want to keep it low, I built mine so that I lowered the front of my YJ by ~5/8" from stock by raising the upper shackle and spring hanger mounting holes higher by ~5/8".

Also, if you don't want to run ubolts, I have an easy way to do that as well.
I'm moving the whole thing 2" forward. The rear hangers are on the part of the frame the slopes up so it will raise that end of the spring about 1/5".

post #14 of 61 Old 06-11-2020, 07:55 AM
Louie4
Web Wheeler

1935 CJ2A 

It appears the day has come for Jeff to start a build
Thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbolty likes this.

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #15 of 61 Old 06-11-2020, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
didn't have time to do much last night, just finish welded the front shackle hangers. Hope to get that all mocked up tonight, tack in and make sure the axle will end up in the right place.

don't think I'm going to put the tire carrier back on. The tires I have are 37 but my friend might want to swap with his 40s. Either way don't think I want that weight hanging off the back. Most of us just leave our spares back at camp anyway.

Will prob cut this up and just use the bumper or maybe pass on the whole thing to someone else as is.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0491.jpg  
87TPIYJ and NHfireLJ like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in